“Exceptional!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Australia
“Exceptional!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I will be returning to the Langham on my next trip to Melbourne. Great location and view from the Grand River room. The excellence starts with reception and continues with room amenities, cleanliness and facilities. Nothing is too much effort. Thanks for a great weekend of luxury.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Gogo04
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you for posting your lovely review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay. I am happy to hear that from the time of your arrival you enjoyed the Hotel, our service and you enjoyed a weekend of luxury. We hope to welcome you back soon to The Langham Melbourne.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

We have stayed here on many occassions and every stay has been outstanding.

The location is perfect and most important the rooms are clean and well equipped.

The staff are always exceptionally helpful and friendly and can't do enough for you.

Great bar area and very nice breakfast.

I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

Book overnight for our anniversary. I booked the Winter Haven special and ask for a free upgrade to a corner room and was given, so thanks! Staff asked if there is an occasion and say anniversary and they sent up a chocolate cake wishing us Happy Anniversary. Nice touch. Room as expected to be of a high standard. The views from the River Corner room is amazing!

Room Tip: Ask for different pillows if you don't like what's in the room.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anothertraveller238
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne. I am pleased to read that you booked one of our excellant packages to celebrate your weeding anniversary. I am happy you enjoyed your guestroom and appreciated the sweeping views of the Yarra River and City. We look forward to welcoming you back for another pleasant visit again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

We returned to The Langham for a 'Winter Hideaway / Haven' last weekend.

I will say from the outset however, consistent with each of the three most recent reviews to the right of the screen, I would be lying if I said The Langham was without fault on this occasion.

The Langham has definitely slipped a bit. They were only minor issues but they happened. These included incorrect billing, receiving communications meant for another guest, incorrect and non current details of our memberships and entitlements, random newspaper deliveries x 2 and an absence of the 'can do' attitude we had been accustomed to.

We received what may only be described as very poor service at Melba restaurant: tables not cleared, coffee / tea not provided despite repeated requests, faulty salt / pepper shaker (new ones not provided) and staff who appeared to be going about their tasks in a very slow, laboured fashion.

None of these things spoilt our experience and would probably be considered commonplace anywhere else - not The Langham.

The venue's beautiful ambience shone and for whatever reason I appreciated the exquisite architecture of the interior more so than normal. The feeling of being somewhere beautiful and special as prevalent as ever.

I can't give The Langham less than five stars despite my critique. We had a wonderful time, and whilst it was not our wedding anniversary (my wife and I married there in 2012) we enjoyed a magical evening the Aria Bar reminiscing our wedding weekend.

The Langham holds a special place in our hearts and our lives. Maybe that's why I feel it necessary to be so blatant in my critique. The Langham needs to be perfect.

We had a wonderful time and have every intention of returning. If Hotel management read this, my suggestion is your staff need to redouble their efforts to ensure they don't make simple and repeated mistakes. Staff morale is very obviously at a low point; this needs to be fixed to restore the 'can do' attitude we've come to rather selfishly expect of The Langham.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ben S
Thank you for taking the time to place your review on Trip Advisor, your detailed comments are certainly appreciated. I am pleased to read that The Langham Melbourne holds a special place in your hearts and that you were married here. I am disappointed though that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and you felt our service standards have slipped. Please accept our apologies for the service issues you encountered on this visit. I have passed on your comments to the appropriated Department Managers so they may review and share with their teams. I thank you for your candid and constructive feedback and assure you the issues you experienced will be addressed. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Melbourne and providing you with the level of service you have come to expect over the years.
Hobart, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

This is my favourite home in Melbourne, so close to everything. Couple things missing or broken this time. I am a member of 1865 and rang the day before to link it to the booking. No amenities when I got to the room. So I mentioned it when I next left. They were there when I returned so that was good. Were offered more later that afternoon too. The door handle on the cupboard was broken and neither powerpoint in the bathroom worked. Was only there one night so reported the powerpoints when checking out. All staff were friendly and the bed is still devine.

Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay.I am pleased you continue to find our colleagues friendly and our Langham Blissful Bed comfortable. Please accept our apologies for the service issues you encountered on this occasion. I have contacted you directly in order to discuss your stay.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

Four of us stayed here in connecting river view rooms for a one night 'staycation'.

Our rooms looked out over the Yarra and the city. I work on the 45th floor of a Melbourne skyscraper and even I thought the view here was gorgeous.

The worst bits: check in took forever as the receptionist seemed oddly flustered and asked me at least three times if I'd been to Melbourne before (I live here…); it is costly.

The best bits: the staff were smiley; the old-fashioned turn down service was a pure delight to come home to. We stumbled home around 3am to find our beds turned down, water bottles and slippers by the beds and a note from housekeeping. That's style.

There are certainly nicer hotels in Melbourne (Hyatt!) but it's hard to beat the Langham for old-hasioned charm and precisely what you'd expect from a 5-star hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melbourne0410
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

The Langham Melbourne is a beautifully appointed, very luxurious hotel. The location at southbank is fantastic with many restaurants right on the door step and easy access to the city and Crown Casino. The service from such a high quality establishment was a bit disappointing with slow service at the bar and a bit of a wait to be seated for breakfast. Also watching TV was challenging with the icons on the remote control worn off! Whilst it is a lovely hotel I would probably look for better value next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jubli8
Thank you for taking the time to offer us your feedback following your recent stay. I am pleased you appreciated the location of the Hotel situated along the Yarra River within Southagate and the close proximity to the City and that you found the Hotel elegant and luxurious. I am disappointed to hear you found our service lacking and will pass on your comments so they may reviewed, as well as shared with the colleagues. I will share your comments regarding the TV remote with our Executive Housekeeper for his follow up. We hope to welcome you back to The Langham Melbourne in the future.