“5 star” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“5 star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

Highly recommend this hotel, got a really good deal for a Saturday night
$335 river view room, valet parking, breakfast for 2.

The upgrade to the river side room view was awesome, best views on south bank.
The breakfast was great, the night time service of free water and slippers beside bed was a nice touch.

Bathrooms/rooms 5 star nothing to complain about

Room Tip: A room with river side view is a must
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,357)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

Amazing hotel n even more amazing location! Friendly n helpful staff too. Stayed there a few times now and it's always been a great experience. Real attention to detail, great facilities though the pool could be a bit bigger.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Thank you for leaving us such a lovely note on the Trip Advisor following your recent visit. I am pleased to hear you always have a wonderful time when staying with us and you enjoy the Hotel, our service and facilities. We look forward as well to your next visit with us.
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We are staying in a club room in langham hotel Melbourne for 9 days this August. I booked direct via their web site 2 months ago and this is not cheap. The only reason I booked this hotel was all the good comments on tripadvisor.

This is my first time here with my 5 years old daughter, I just had a holiday a week ago in London staying in Marriott, no problem there and langham Melbourne is double what I paid for in London.

Everything seemed good and normal for our stay at first, like all good big brand hotel, people smile to you and the place is clean but room is really old style. Club lounge is good, people smile at you and greet you.

Little problem like my daughter has developed some sort of rash after the first night sleep, like some sort of insect bite mark and she was all itchy the whole week, she had another bite rash the third night but I didn't complaint about it.

We had stayed in many other branded hotel before and this one really seemed outdated and old style but I think it's all right as long as its safe and clean for my little girl.

This happened on the 6th day of my stay here.

I went back to my room the evening and open my suitcase as usual to take out my stuff, then I discovered a very deep and large dent on my suitcase! My suitcase is brown in color and this dent/ cut is so deep that it appeared white and it looked like it will break through easily. Then I checked the floor, there was a door stopper there with some small shattered pieces next to it. It's obviously someone moved it then accidentally the suitcase fall off onto the door stopper and broke. The door stopper was also squashed a little bit.

I opened and closed my suitcase every day and night as I needed to take out my daughter's things inside and I put in back in every time when I left my room, this is my habit. This dent white in color about 1.5 inches long was so obvious and I am very sure it was not there before.

I thought about it the whole night and was very unhappy about it, I will need to buy a new suitcase as I am not quite sure if this cut will break open on the plane or during transfer I thought about it hard if I should talk about it to the hotel, part of me think they might not care about it, part of me think why am I being unhappy because of someone else mistake?

As I am only traveling alone with my 5 years old, I really didn't want any troubles but a feeling of unfairness just hang on to me, the suit case isn't new, it's 1 year old already but why am I paying top money to stay in Lamgham and I still have to swollen this unannounced? It wasn't like I am staying here for free and I am also staying here for a whole 9 days!

Then I decided to call up the manager and tell them about it, I have asked the night manager to come into the room and check the suitcase. He came in and listened to me, then checked the suitcase and said to me,

'our hotel will definitely NOT be held responsible to this because you do not have any evidence that our housekeeping people did it!'

I then asked him, "I left my suitcase in the room and went out, I didn't install a CCTV here and I wasn't in the room either, what kind of evidence you want from me? This suitcase here and the door stopper here are the evidence!"

He then said a lot of things to me and sounded like I have made the whole thing up, the things he said were totally rude and hurtful. He didnt consider other people's feeling a bit and with my 5 years old daughter in the room resting, he insisted I was not presenting the whole true and even if I did, "what do you want??"

He acted like some official from police or government and was giving you an order rather than handling the problem.

These are some quote from him:

"This thing needs to end now, we will not take it further!'

"Yes we will not do anything about it, we will not compensate you and we will not be held responsible"

"We have 400 guest rooms here, housekeeping twice a day and you are the only one who complaint about this!'

"What do you want me to do?" "We will not do anything!"

"Look at your suit case, this is not exactly new and there are a lot of scratches on it, how do I know it's not from the airline or transport people?"

"This is a breakable item, it's normal that it will break!'

"We have not checked your suitcase before you checked it, we didn't take pictures of it, how do I know you didn't get it from somewhere else?"

"This is very 'unfair' to my housekeeping people as you do not have "evidence" and we will not held responsible for it"

"This is our hotel policy that we won't be held responsible to this kind of things.."

"Keep your voice down, we have guests next door!"

"Yes, if someone was murdered here, it will be the police responsibility and not ours..."

"You are more than welcomed to come down and talk to any other managers in the morning or at anytime but I can assure you this won't go any further and this is our hotel policy and it will be the same outcome whatsoever."

"Yes this is our hotel policy that we will not be responsible to anything happened here..."

I then asked him if I break anything inside the hotel room, do you still require any "evidence"? Will you held me responsible to it?? This is really one sided policy, if they break your thing, they are not responsible, if you break their things, you are surely responsible.

This whole thing, all the "reasons" he has said to me, like no evidence, breakable item, these all should apply to their items in their room too, right? On the other hand, if a guest break their things, can the guest said the same to them, saying they don't have CCTV evidence?

This is a commercial world for sure i understand but the way they run their business is really "amazing". I didn't even ask for money compensation, I didn't have in mind what I want, I just want to tell them about it and thought that they will do something about it, not this truly hurtful feeling. They didn't even apologize to me for once because "this is unfair to them!"

I stayed here for 9 days in club room and I am not short of money to buy a new suitcase but the thing is this was not our mistake and I am sure with a big name like Langham and my 9 days stay here, they are also not short of profit to take some responsibilities than to treat their guests like this!

I travel alone with my daughter and never feel unsafe in any way in London or Melbourne anywhere, but Langham has made me feel very small here, very helpless here, like you are a person against their whole corporation, when they said "it ends here." Then it ends here, no objection, nothing you can do about it, take it!

He didn't even check with the housekeeping on duty that day to try to pretend he did investigate the matter.

I feel like they just used us, took our money but being so unkind to us. They have hurt our feelings by saying those words to us, not understanding people travel a long way from home to come here and expected to be taken care of, to feel safe and pleasant here because we paid for it.

My daughter wet her pants this morning for the first time, she was very upset and I stayed up whole night and could not sleep.

For this money and this kind of treatment, I should have stayed in the travelodge next to it, same location, might be better treatment.

It's not about the suitcase anymore, it's how we have been treated, like a beggar without any respect, we feel very tiny here...

I must also mention, we were so unhappy that I have said to the duty manager that I have to move out early, this is like the least I can do for ourselves for some just, the duty manager with his big smile now gladly said, "we want you to stay of course but you are free to go..."

I once asked him, "why are you saying these things to me?" "Why do you do this to us?" "If we are someone that you know, maybe like your family member, will you still say these words to us like you are saying these now?"

He left the room and checked with the computer if we are allowed to leave early, then he called back and said "you can", then he said he can offer us something, like a teddy bear or something? Then he offered us a room with better view, which is nice if he offered us in the first place, not after I said I need to move out in the middle of the night and certainly not after what he has said to us. He might think what he said to us is only official response, but if you decided not to take any responsibilities and not to do anything about it, at least you have the decency to say it with understanding and respect, not hurting others people feeling like that.

We can buy a new suitcase and it will be all brand new, but this hurtful feeling can't be restarted over and undone.

I once asked the duty manager, "apart from making huge profit, do you even care how people feel? Do you even care about your guests here ?"

He replied, "of course we care, but this is our hotel policy that we will not compensate you when you have no evidence.....this goes no where and we will not do anything about it..."

• Stayed August 2014
      Rooms
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
23 Thank Travelwithkid2014
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Thank You for taking the time to offer us your feedback following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne. We thoroughly investigated your claim as reported and as we were unable to find any evidence that damage was caused by the Hotel we are unable to accept liability. We regret you felt the matter was not handled to your satisfaction. I am pleased that we were able to offer you an upgraded room for the rest of your visit and a Teddy Bear for your daughter.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

We stayed at the Langham for 3 nights in July - we had interconnecting river view rooms which were perfect & a good size. Well worth paying for club benefits which included breakfast, afternoon tea & pre dinner drinks served on the top floor with a lovely view. Hotel is in a great location, staff are very friendly & all in all we loved our stay at the Langham & wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Pay extra to included club benefits as it is well worth it for that extra wow!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Rooms
1 Thank Lisa K
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor following your recent 3 night stay. I am pleased you found our location situated within the vibrant Southbank precinct with the close proximity to the CBD to your liking. We are happy that you enjoyed your Club Guestroom with the views of the Yarra and City and your Club Lounge experience, with all the options this tranquil haven offers to our guests. We are delighted to hear that you would stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back in the future to The Langham Melbourne.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

Having stayed at the Langham a number of times now, I was expecting to see some variability in the standards and service. Not so! If anything, it's been better each time than the last time (impossible as that might seem). Consistently wonderful service, regardless of which staff member we encounter. My advice to travellers would be to consider a Club Room. I understand that it's more expensive but if you're staying for a few days and plan to spend some "time in", this is certainly great value! We also patronised everything this beautiful hotel has to offer and want to extend our sincerest thanks to Richie, Aria Bar, for looking after us during our four-night stay. Well done everyone, and it's no surprise to me that the Langham is consistently number 1 in Melbourne!

Room Tip: See above - depending on your budget, and how much time you'll spend in the hotel, the Club Room...
3 Thank Dpinsk
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Fantastic for a weekend in Melbourne to watch the footy. Unfortunately the Dockers lost. Took the kids and they enjoyed the pool and spa. Great location with quick access to a food hall, restaurants and shopping.

Room Tip: Opt for the river view if possible
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind note on Trip Advisor following your weekend stay with the family. I am delighted to hear that you found our location within the vibrant Southbank precinct convenient, and you and your children enjoyed our pool and spa. We will look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham Melbourne in the future for another pleasant stay
Western Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

We stayed at the Langham for one night in August. The foyer magnificent and very inviting definitely a 5 star experience. The room we had was clean, fresh and the beds very comfortable. The bathroom was ordinary and cramped, the shower needed a Calcium clean as the shower head was completely clogged and toilet needed maintenance as it was difficult to turn off. I understand that they only had so much space to renovate - but ordinary. Due to a partner with "Man Flu" we stayed in the room and had room service for the day and breakfast. The food was fresh and enjoyable albeit extremely expensive. I get annoyed with being charged $7 every room service delivery, $4.95 Wifi charge for a limited time and with a limit on the devices attached unless the fee goes up, and my favorite, credit card fee of (if i remember correctly) an outrageous 5%. So, no I would not say there again.

1 Thank Marlzi
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time offer us your valuable feedback following your recent stay at The Langham Melbourne. We certainly appreciate your detailed comments. I am pleased that you found our Lobby with the classical elegant décor inviting and found your guestroom comfortable. I have contacted you directly so I may obtain further information in regards to the shower and toilet The delivery fee that is included with a guest’s In Room Dining meal is applied in order that we are able to provide your meal similarly to that you would expect in a restaurant, which includes fine linen, crockery and glassware, selection of bread and dips and table service executed by our trained wait staff. Upgrade of facilities in the hotel is a continuous process; we have recently completed refurbishment of our guestrooms. I would also like to advise that complimentary standard wifi is available to any guest that registers to join our free 1865 Loyalty Programme, which we offer at check in. Many guests take us up on this special offer if they have not already purchased an accommodation package which includes wifi access. We also have the option of purchasing Premium Internet which can be used with up to four devices for an additional $10, which is very competitive in 5* hotels. For your information nearly all hotels in Melbourne charge a 1.65% credit card merchant fee. We do hope you would consider staying again in the future.