“Great place”

Harbour View Apartment Hotel
Ranked #146 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here last night , what a great little place , clean and great location close to southern cross station , easy to get anywhere with all the trams , plus the free on off city tram . The apartment was clean and tidy . We stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment , 2 rooms with 2 single beds and one with a queen bed and own ensuite . Which was clean . air con was quite loud as we needed it on through the night . Beds very comfortable , i have stayed in 4star plus hotels and these beds were more comfortable . Didnt get to meet the infamous Mae . We had a lovely young man that checked us in without any hassles . would stay there again .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank selfie58

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Found this one on Booking.com… Have to say I was happy with my choice until I read the google reviews. Then I started to get a bit worried. They spoke of a woman called Mae and her utter rudeness. I figured most of the reviews were at least 8 months old and any hotel Manager would have surely gotten rid of that member of staff…. Right?

Two days before check in I got an email confirming my booking. The email also informed me that my credit card would be charged on the day of my arrival. I had left a note on my booking that I wouldn’t been checking in until after work that day.

The day before my arrival though I got a call from my bank letting me know that the Harbour View in Melbourne was trying to put through a large amount which I didn’t have the credit for. I normally leave my credit card pretty bare because I got stung by a scam site when I was younger. Apparently the Harbour View had made 7 attempts to put the amount through.
I called reception and got through to the infamous Mae. She yelled at me and told me as soon as she figured who I was; “Booking must be confirmed”. When I read the email I had received not a day before she yelled again “Booking must be confirmed”. After 5 minutes of pointlessness I told her the funds would be available the next day and she could try until the cows came home but I had a written confirmation and would be making the funds available according to the written agreement she had send me.

From here I was worried about what I had gotten into but I was presently surprised. There was a lovely young man at reception who kindly asked if I needed any local advice. He noticed I arrived in a suit and asked how my day was. When I walked out of the elevator to my room I was overcome with a smell of over cooked asian cooking and there were no signs directing me where to go.

The room was small but perfect for me. I hung up my clothes STRAIGHT away because otherwise there was no room for a bag, let alone a bag for a second person. The kitchenette had a microwave, and a kettle. The television accessed all the free to air channels. I didn’t pay for internet and annoying the building doesn’t have great 3G coverage- but that’s ok. The shower was hot. There was plenty of toilet paper. I had enough pillows and blankets. I used the aircon on one of the nights, the rest of the time there was no need. There was a wine stain on the carpet but the staff said that it wasn’t an issues. I wouldn’t have noticed it if I handed have dropped the phone right on the spot.

I came home one day and Mae was going at it at one of her latest victims. Neither could speak English terribly well and I couldn’t help but feel most of the tension stemmed from lack of communication rather than a breach by either side.

When I checked out I did get a face to face experience with Mae. Sure, she’s rude. She needs to seriously work on her people skills. She is unnecessarily short with people. It might be a cultural difference but she should learn that customers shouldn’t be spoken down to, at least not that bad. I normally don’t allow anyone to speak to me as badly as she spoke to me.

All in all I was utterly delighted with the hotel aside from my two Mae incidences. The room was more than adequate. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was the perfect size for one, or even two as long as you are both close.

I will definitely stay they next time and I plan on just ignoring Mae and her ranting and raging.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank gizzbob
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I travelled to Melbourne to attend the Centenary of Military Aviation Airshow. With this in mind I needed a place that was close to public transport. The Harbour View ticked all the boxes in this regard, it was a 3 minute walk from Spencer St Station, which was where the Skybus dropped me off and where I caught the train to Point Cook. The hotel was right in the city circle (free) tram line so it was very easy to get about the city, everything was within walking distance. My room was clean and spacious for one, the shower was good and the kitchenette was very convenient. My only complaint was the "power saving" unit on the TV which made it really difficult to just switch the TV on! The staff were helpful and check in/out was accomplished with a minimum of fuss!! I would definately stay here again!!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jandk_95
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Booked a superior room. Walls were paint patched, queen bed was in the lounge whilst single bed was in a pokey bedroom. Poor customer service. I asked for 2 extra towels to be rudely told no I couldn't. Can me back from day out and bed hadn't been made and top sheet wasn't replaced so slept in bed with just a blanket and glasses were still dirty in the sink. So no room service was done. Furniture was dirty. Wouldn't stay again and being I am a housekeeper myself I expected better.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Bratz123
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I had booked a one bedroom room. It was ok. The kitchen was big and it had everything, the bathroom was a little dirty (shower), the lounge was very small and the hallway to the bedrooms and the lounge was very small. It really had a small table to have dinner/brekky at as well. Bed was comfortable.

Room Tip: get a 2 bedroom apartment, may be better
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank hawks_me
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Firstly, I must say that the actual apartment looks way better than the photos on the website. They really should do a better job with the website!

Nonetheless, our stay there was pretty eventful. We came back one night to find that our power was shorted. So we called reception to have someone come and reset the power board.

The next morning, we realised that the power was shorted again. The guy at reception claimed he "wasnt an electrician", but he "googled it" and had us try unplugging all the devices, then reset the power board and plugging everything back in again. Wow, very helpful :P

We finally figured out that it was the fridge that was causing problems, so we called reception again and they agreed to replace the fridge for us. When they came to replace the fridge, we heard a single knock before they immediately barged into our room. Wow. What happened to waiting for the door to open?? Thankfully, we were all dressed, or it would have been awkward. Barging into rooms is a big NO NO for ANY hotel :(

Other than the small incident, the entire stay was pleasant. Location is accessible. 5 min walk to Southern cross station for the shuttle to the airport. 1min walk to the city circle tram station (Spencer & LaTrobe).

My only qualm is that they only provide 1 hour of free wifi for your entire stay :(

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Christina N
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I booked for only one night in January so we could take our boys to the cricket at Etihad. It was in easy walking distance, even for our 2-year-old.
The Apartment was lovely and clean with nice linen and towels. And plenty of space for the 5 of us. Coles and an Asian supermarket very close by if you want to cook.
It'll cost you $15 on top of your. If hits stay for parking, but it is secure so is great for peace of mind.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family