St. Arnaud
Oaks on Lonsdale(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$173
US$113
  • Free Internet
US$103
US$96
  • Bar/Lounge
Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$198
US$109
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$169
US$138
CrownePlaza.com
  • Pool
US$96
US$85
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
Pensione Hotel Melbourne - by 8Hotels(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$82
US$76
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$191
US$139
  • Room Service
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$179
US$174
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$148
US$124
  • Fitness centre
Hotel Claremont(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
US$53
US$49
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 February 2013

The staff in the hostel is rude, unpolite and extremely arrogant. We had limited access to internet even if the hostel promote a wifi connection. The second day we stayed at the hostel the manager decided to forbid the use of the kitchen taking away all the pots and closing the gas.
There are only 6 bathrooms for 3 floors (at least 50 guests per floor).
The third day we stay the staff member threw away our food from the common fridge without having been informed previously about the rule to not put any food there. not for the money we spent for this food but for the unacceptable idea to throw away food we just decided to move as soon as our booking expired. In general the hostel is dirty and a very bad smell is all over the place.

Room Tip: just don't go there
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Chiara L
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I stayed here for 6 days during the Australian Open in Melbourne. I had a great time and the location is excellent. However, the facilities leave a little to be desired. There are only 2 showers per floor, which means that there is a long wait for one in the morning. Also, if you're a light sleeper, you might be better off ensuring you don't have a room out towards the main road, as the tram makes a lot of noise every time it rolls by. However, in general, I had a positive experience, much due to the friendly staff and the nice people I met there.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I didn't mind my stay here, but I really copped it from my high maintenance wife to be. The rooms have bunks, not good for couples. The rooms on the street side are noisy due to the tram line going past, this eases at midnight-ish but starts again early in the morning. Breakfast did run out quickly, although they did replenish the bread. The amount of cutlery and plates is inadequate and this should be addressed. There are not enough bathrooms and showers, which are shared. It's in a nice area, although there are more central options if that's what you want. It is about equidistant to the city and to chapel st. The room, sheets and bathrooms were clean enough for me.

Room Tip: Stay away from the road.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adz717
Reviewed 20 January 2013

Its not the best hostel we stayed in which is such a shame as it has alot of potential. It has alot of character, and is a spacious hostel but they do not have enough bathrooms. Never cooked in the kitchen so i cant comment on that, breakfast supplied was pretty standard. Room was good and location was right near the tram.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2012

I do not often write reviews bur felt compelled to do so in this case. Having travelled previously for three months, I was well aware of different hostels and their various problems - this did not prepare me for my stay at St Arnaud.
To start on a positive note - the location is very good and the room sizes are adequate. I'm afraid that is where it ends. The "complementary" breakfast was minimal, often having run out of essentials very quickly. There was literally no cutlery and myself and my companion were forced to spread butter with a carving knife - not exactly what I expected. There are notices asking residents to clean up after themselves, however this is very difficult to do when there is no cleaning equipment and the tea towels are sopping wet and unable to dry a thing.
The bathrooms were, for want of a better word, gross. I literally heard the bath mat squelch under my toes when gingerly stepping into the shower. Not easy to have a relaxing shower when your stomach is turning. When I informed staff about the bathmat and suggested that they may perhaps want to have a look at it as the shower base could be leaking, I was met with a rather hostile "We clean every day!". I was not disputing this, merely suggesting an investigation.
To be fair to the staff, when we did have a problem, and felt forced to contact the manager, there was an apology, and extra internet time given, although I feel I should say that I was scared beyond measure at the apology from the manager, and hid in my room until the coast was clear.
Sorry St Arnaud, but this could easily have ruined my first experience of Australia, thank goodness for the great people and wonderful city of Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends