“Chic ! Modern and Eco Friendly hotel”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #10 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This hotel looks small outside , but once you step in inside you will feel overwhelmed with its charming and quiet feel at home. We stayed 2 nites in a duplex 2 rooms apartment which really beyond our expectation, complete kitchen, comfort even smal sofa, and alot space to put open lugagges around. Bathrom small but ok, cleanliness were best ! The tram station just some steps outside, as well as southern train station were you can get your skybus to airport. Surely irecommend this hotel and will happy to enjoy another chance to stay there more longer. 2 thumbs !

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Purbaningrum_Sasmita

Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed mid week so price was pretty cheap, but his hotel was great with really friendly staff who did little things like putting your bags in room for you while we went out sight seeing as room wasn't ready. I loved this hotel and would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank PowerfulPete677
Reviewed 3 July 2012

The Alto deserves its great reviews on Trip Advisor - it's a really good hotel for those travelling to Melbourne on a budget. The room is well equipped, with a large bar fridge and kitchenette, and quite spacious. Although there wasn't a view, the room was fantastic for a quick weekend away. The location is wonderful - right near Southern Cross station, so it's easy to get around. Particularly good for shopping - it's just a short walk up to the mall.
The little reading nook in the restaurant is so cosy - a book exchange and a fire, with a really comfy seat. And free coffee that you can make yourself in the lounge area - great for a pick me up (and the hot chocolate is even better). The staff are really friendly, and check in and out is easy.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank poptartlr
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We enjoyed our stay at Alto, and I was pleased with how quiet the room was in spite of being in the city. We were comfortable, and our 3-year-old son enjoyed the hot chocolate drink available in the lounge almost everyday we were there. All the staff we encountered (front desk, cleaning staff, food staff) were great. It is more expensive than other hotels, but we liked supporting a green hotel. Keep it up!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Expat_Gourmand
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I chose this hotel due to its reviews on Tripadviser & its location close to Southern Cross Train Station, for my ongoing journey into country Victoria. I usually stay in 5 Star properties, but after a six night stay at The Alto in early June, this is now my preferred hotel in the Melbourne CBD. Why so? Well the list of things this hotel does right is long! It's a small boutique hotel with the friendliest staff, excellent service, spotless facilities, excellent breakfast with so many options (please read the menu) & a variety of room types to suit all. I booked with the hotel direct & was offered an excellent rate. I chose the Studio Room & my deal had a full breakfast included, which was SO delicious & comprehensive, I put on weight during my stay! Certainly the Lobby is tiny & my room was not really enormous, but it had so many inclusions, I was delighted. The microwave & kitchen sink was a nice addition, the bathroom had the most wonderful shower head & fabulous, wall mounted, shampoo, gel & conditioner dispensers in the shower & more next to the bathroom sink (even one with a most excellent body cream) so no more struggling with tiny bottles. 5 star hotels please note!! The small restaurant has an adjacent charming Library area with a gas fire & a high backed comfy chair. Being winter, I delighted in the chance to relax by the fire with a complimentary mug of hot chocolate or coffee (available 24 hours), while reading their complimentary newspapers. After that, I often asked Reception for the key to access the private, complimentary, Relaxation Room behind the Library. Here, there are the best Massage chairs I have ever used. Bliss. I met the new owner of the Hotel & his G.M. Gary & well as several other key staff members. They are all enthusiastic & dedicated to making this Hotel the best it can be. I was shown the new furnishings & bedding that will become available over time & WOW, I was really impressed. I always love travelling down to the Sunday markets on the beach at St Kilda & imagine my delight when I found the No. 96 tram that stops just across the road from the Hotel, takes you directly there. Other trams also pass the door, the free Circle City tram is not too far away & there are a selection of eateries nearby. If you don't want to walk the few blocks into the very centre of the city, just jump on a tram. I travel a great deal & I'm not easily impressed but for customer service, cleanliness, comfort & amazing value for money I'm giving this hotel 5 Stars. My thanks go to all the lovely staff, particularly those at Reception, the Breakfast area & Housekeeping, for making my stay feel just like I was staying with friends. Well done.

Room Tip: As a Solo traveller, my Studio room was perfect & when the rather fabulous new beds & furnis...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank OzzieGirl88
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed here two nights and was very pleased with the accommodation. Historic facade with contemporary design inside, the place had a charm and warmth about it - maybe that was due to the fireplace and the cozy reading nook at the back of the dining room. The welcome was friendly, and service good. Everything was clean & looked new. My room was small but comfortable. The small dining room served very good food - other guests told me so, and I then discovered it for myself. Kudos to the chef. Convenient location right by the train station. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank WItravelingirl
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I stepped off the bus from the airport at the Southern Cross Station and made the very short walk to the hotel. I was greeted and checked in by a very friendly receptionist and was making my way to my room within only a few minutes. The room was clean and well laid out and looked much better than the online photos. Everything you need is there including an umbrella in the closet for inclement weather.

It is a bit of a walk down to the shopping areas but there is a tram right at the door which you can hop on and go anywhere,

I loved the fact that Wifi is free at this hotel and I can't understand why luxury hotels still charge such a lot of money for Wifi. If you ask me there needs to be a customer backlash.

Overall it was an excellent stay with every expectation I had exceeded. I will definately be back at this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo