“It's the recovery which counts”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #10 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Dunsborough, Australia
“It's the recovery which counts”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was our second stay at Alto, and I feel compelled to write another review.

Early in my professional career I learned the "truth" that all businesses make mistakes, and it's not the mistake which counts, but how they recover from it. In our case it was a small mistake, but an inconvenience all the same. We accidentally left a parcel in luggage storage - we should have noticed it had not been returned to us, but the hotel should have not let it happen in the first place. When we discovered the oversight we were on the phone - and with minimum of fuss Gary (the boss?) had tracked it down and has arranged for it to be posted to us in Western Australia. Easy, friendly, no hassle.

Which describes the Alto - easy, friendly, no hassle. The Alto is brilliantly located, the staff are very friendly and well skilled in their roles, and at the same time respectful, the rooms are pleasant and comfortable, and the place is good value for money. I can't fault it. I've travelled a lot to Melbourne over the years for both business and pleasure, and as long as the Alto maintains these standards it will clearly be my hotel of choice in that city.

3 Thank Peter C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I cannot fault the Alto Hotel on Bourke St. The hotel was centrally located, close to the train and Skybus station and 10 minutes walk to the Bourke St shopping mall. The room I had was small but well furnished and well set out. The shower was surprisingly large for such a small bathroom and everything was spotlessly clean. I had a room at the rear of the building on the first floor and had no noise issues at all.
The restaurant is small and cozy but the food was outstanding. I had a pulled pork salad for dinner which was delicious and breakfast the following morning was tasty with good variety.
The service both at the front desk and in the restaurant is excellent. I asked for some options of things to do in the city for the day, and the staff at the front desk gave me maps, directions and lots of suggestions.
I will definitely stay here again when in Melbourne. This hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TriciaB623
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were very satisfied with an overnight stay at the Alto and will certainly be returning next time we’re in Melbourne. A stone's throw to Skybus station; the hotel is central with clean, well appointed rooms and friendly professional staff. I particularly value the Alto's genuine efforts to reduce their (or rather, our) footprint while still maintaining high hotel standards.

We stayed in a Petite which was fine for one night and great value but if planning to stay longer than a night or two I'd definitely request a larger room. Breakfast options are great so no danger of getting bored with the choices over a much longer stay. Highly recommended!

2 Thank Katie K
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2014

My stay at the Alto was faultless. The staff were helpful and friendly but respected your privacy. Our 2 bedroom place had everything we needed for our 3 night stay. It was clean, quiet and a 30second walk from the Skybus stop - perfect. Special mention must got to Andrew at Concierge who was an absolute delight, nothing was too much trouble and all done with a smile.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank MissMB68
Orewa, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 June 2014

This was my second, yearly, stay at this Hotel. I just wanted to reiterate that if you are looking for immaculately clean, perfectly situated, friendly informative service look no further. This time I was with my husband and he saw why I insisted on Alto Hotel on Bourke.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Alto has very Lovely staff. Central location. Very easy access to Skybus. Good breakfast. Comfortable rooms but could do with thicker walls at times. I have stayed a couple of times now and would definitely return.

3 Thank Happysusie68
Santa Barbara, CA
Reviewed 10 June 2014

The Alto Hotel is very conveniently situated near Southern Cross station. My husband and I were pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a nicer room when we arrived. It was very clean and comfortable with a king bed, fridge, tea/coffee and biscuits. Had a very nice breakfast with buffet for cold items and hot items by order. We had to leave very early one morning for a tour and the hotel provided us with a continental breakfast delivered to our room the night before. The front desk staff were very helpful with the many questions we had regarding travel around Melbourne. The only thing I didn't like much was shampoo, conditioner and soap in large containers rather than small, individual portions. However, the benefits of this hotel far outweighed this small complaint.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank SBtraveler09
AltoMelbourne, General Manager at Alto Hotel on Bourke, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Our team are pleased to read another review from our guests and to see that they enjoyed the service received and our facilities.

Our environmental initiatives are wide ranging from use of electricity from renewable sources only and having our own beehives on the rooftop. Waste minimisation is one of the initiatives. We use the same quality ingredients as used in the "standard" small bottles, in our case they are dispensed from stylish wall mounted dispensers (see image on the Green Star [page of our website). Therefore we have zero landfill waste for our soap. shampoo etc as we are able to recycle delivery containers and packaging.

Why have we chosen this approach?
If every hotel in Melbourne had a similar approx we could avoid approximately 17,000 litres of used shampoo / chemicals entering our landfill waste each year for just one city. (Melbourne has about 28,000 hotel rooms and average 84% occupancy, assume average stay is 2 night, assume only 1 bottle of part used 40ml shampoo, conditioner etc is left by guest which hotel staff then replace and dispose of part used bottle. Most bottles are also placed in landfill instead of recycling adding to the waste)

Gary Stickland