“Perfect and unforgettable place!”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #11 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Singapore
“Perfect and unforgettable place!”
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We took the three bedroom loft apartment and stayed for four nights before we began our road trip to the outskirts of Melbourne. I applaud the hotel for its green initiatives, they do not skimp but provides the basics such as toiletries in large dispensers and an option to change towels daily, if we wanted to. Entire apartment was well lit, clean and well equipped. Very quiet surroundings and convenient to walk to nearby places and the train station for food and groceries. The complementary wifi was great - reliable and does not require multiple logins each time you return to your room. The Alto reminds me of the quaint hotels in Italy, with fresh and delicious meals prepared, small but functional lobby and restaurant. Hotel provides free apples which was a nice touch. Staff were professional and helpful. Only gripe was the car park is a block away and unsheltered. But we will still come back to the Alto for our future stays, nothing comes close to the comfort the Aalto had provided to our family of six!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bluelizabelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Bairnsdale, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is my preferred hotel to stay at in Melbourne. Fantastic location only 5 minutes from Southern Cross Station. This boutique hotel is eco-friendly and offers friendly customer service. The lounge and dining area add a wonderful ambiance to this hotel complete with book shelves, a fire and great seating to relax in. The rooms have windows that open to allow a fresh breeze through the room. Exceptionally clean rooms with a comfy bed. The dining room offers wonderful breakfast and dinners. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Stayed at Alto with my hubby as we were on our honeymoon. Last leg of our trip before we hit back home. Room was big and service staff excellent. On the day of our checkout, even though the hotel was fully booked, they allowed us an extended hr before checkout just so we can do our last minute shopping. Hotel is very near to Southern Cross station and within walking distance to many eateries and shops. Excellent place to stay and I will definitely be back if I return to Melbourne.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sale, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2014

As another reviewer has said, staying at the Alto is just 'easy'. There is nothing to stress over, staff are absolutely lovely, the meals are beautiful and such an excellent standard. I love their understated 'green' approach which flows through all of their operation. I have multiple food intolerances and they are always willing to assist without question! Location is fantastic, rooms always immaculate! I started staying when the first opened and have seen their progression over the years and it is still my favourite place to stay. Either business, leisure and with the family. Have stayed 4 nights in the past 3 weeks now!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Kat762014
Dunsborough, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

This was our second stay at Alto, and I feel compelled to write another review.

Early in my professional career I learned the "truth" that all businesses make mistakes, and it's not the mistake which counts, but how they recover from it. In our case it was a small mistake, but an inconvenience all the same. We accidentally left a parcel in luggage storage - we should have noticed it had not been returned to us, but the hotel should have not let it happen in the first place. When we discovered the oversight we were on the phone - and with minimum of fuss Gary (the boss?) had tracked it down and has arranged for it to be posted to us in Western Australia. Easy, friendly, no hassle.

Which describes the Alto - easy, friendly, no hassle. The Alto is brilliantly located, the staff are very friendly and well skilled in their roles, and at the same time respectful, the rooms are pleasant and comfortable, and the place is good value for money. I can't fault it. I've travelled a lot to Melbourne over the years for both business and pleasure, and as long as the Alto maintains these standards it will clearly be my hotel of choice in that city.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Peter C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I cannot fault the Alto Hotel on Bourke St. The hotel was centrally located, close to the train and Skybus station and 10 minutes walk to the Bourke St shopping mall. The room I had was small but well furnished and well set out. The shower was surprisingly large for such a small bathroom and everything was spotlessly clean. I had a room at the rear of the building on the first floor and had no noise issues at all.
The restaurant is small and cozy but the food was outstanding. I had a pulled pork salad for dinner which was delicious and breakfast the following morning was tasty with good variety.
The service both at the front desk and in the restaurant is excellent. I asked for some options of things to do in the city for the day, and the staff at the front desk gave me maps, directions and lots of suggestions.
I will definitely stay here again when in Melbourne. This hotel is excellent value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TriciaB623
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We were very satisfied with an overnight stay at the Alto and will certainly be returning next time we’re in Melbourne. A stone's throw to Skybus station; the hotel is central with clean, well appointed rooms and friendly professional staff. I particularly value the Alto's genuine efforts to reduce their (or rather, our) footprint while still maintaining high hotel standards.

We stayed in a Petite which was fine for one night and great value but if planning to stay longer than a night or two I'd definitely request a larger room. Breakfast options are great so no danger of getting bored with the choices over a much longer stay. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple