“Cheap , but”

Ranked #128 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Perth, Australia
“Cheap , but”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

There is no doubt that this room is inexpensive. I'm not sure that I would repeat the experience. Although the fine print does say that the full cost of the stay will be charged at the time of booking and that there is a significant charge for paying by credit card I would prefer that the full cost was clear . They had access to the charge for ten days accommodation well ahead, a nice little money earner for them plus the $ 18 credit card fee.
The cheap rooms have what they describe as " window to an internal courtyard" . In reality this means that the only window in the apartment looks out into a short corridor facing other doors. If you want privacy curtains have to be closed at all times . These rooms are close to the lifts which produce a strange humming noise which didn't really disturb me once I worked out what it was.
The bed was hard.
The bathroom is tiny which was not a problem for me but could really annoy a large person.
The location is excellent , a five minute walk to Southern Cross station which means that you have easy access to the Sky Bus , a much cheaper option to the airport than a taxi if you are travelling solo.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank alphabetsoup255103
OaksOnCollins, General Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
It sounds as though you have made your reservation with us at Oaks on Collins via an online booking agent. We certainly don't hide the fact that prepayment is required at time of booking and that a 1.5% credit card service fee exists with any credit card pat]yment processed though uderstand your disappointment with this arrangment.

We are glad you liked our location and thank you for your review.

Regards, Maris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Thai first
Sydney
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed last week. Surly check-in, which was compounded by a trip down a hall which looked like it hadn't seen a vacuum cleaner in more than a week with lots of small litter and dirt. Stayed two days, got progressively worse.
Cramped bathroom with nowhere to store toiletries, although shower worked well. Bed comfortable. TV high and awkward angle, so difficult to view without lying in bed.
Room service food of reasonable standard. Breakfast poor and breakfast service almost non-existent. When coffee delivered, thought table was being cleared, but she was just moving used plates to make a space to place the coffee, then left. Never come across this approach before.
Finally very surly check-out. Won't bother staying here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JimCau
Thassk for your feedback regarding your stay. I would love to hear more about your 'surly' experiences on both check-in and check-out and wondered if you would like to contact me directly on email at hmcollins@theoaksgroup,com.au or calling the property direct to discuss further if not too much trouble.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Regards, Hotel Manager

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Gold Coast
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Great Hotel about a 10min walk to the Bourke Street Mall and Melbourne Shopping and in a safe area. At first I thought the room was a little weird as the bathroom is petitioned off with frosted glass and is really small but after staying 4 nights this actually works quite well. It's way better to have a large living area with kitchen (oven, microwave and mid size fridge freezer). You need to bring your own shower cap as none were provided. My room 1806 was near the lift and the lift produced a humming noise. This wasn't a problem as it seemed to slow down around 9pm and then started up about 7am when the lifts are obviously busy, but was a little annoying. You get 30mins free in-room internet each day otherwise the fee, as with most hotels, was rather expensive $18 for 24hrs. Great location if you are doing a course at Clifton's training centre. I've stayed at the Marriott Melbourne and this was way better. Easy access to taxis out the front or the Skybus from Southern cross Station which cost $30 return. They hotel offered a transfer to the airport which was $44 for 2 people so if there are 2 or more people a taxi is probably a better and easier option. Breakfast was just under $16 if you pre purchased at check in, otherwise was $19.90. Mine was included in the room price. Wasn't flash and they seemed to
run out of plates, cups etc but had the usual, bacon, eggs, pancakes, fruit, toast & cereal. Heaps of restaurants and cafés near but too. For the price you can't beat location.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank jlp9202
Thanks you for taking to time to provide various comments regarding your stay here at Oaks on Collins. I am sure other readers have gained some insight with your in-depth pricing and added tourist-friendly information. Very glad to hear you loved the location and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights in a location that suited us well but that's were the positives ended.
The negatives:
• very hard bed so not much sleep
• smallest bathroom I have ever seen which was very uncomfortable and awkward
• thin walls? We heard the guest next door going to the toilet/having a shower/talking on phone/watching TV

I may be a little critical as I am in the accommodation industry but I felt the reception staff we met need to be reminded that non verbal communication is very important. They said the right things but their body language did not match the words. We felt that we were interrupting them each time we had a question or needed assistance. When discussing problems with our room/booking the man was very disinterested. We moved rooms due to a very loud high pitch noise coming from the fridge (3m from bed). We had previously informed that there would be 2 guests and found the extra bed had not been added to the room. Not big problems and easy to fix but we were left feeling like we did wrong for speaking up.

After reading other trip advisor reviews, I'd like to point out that we mentioned the very small bathroom and we were not offered a room with a larger bathroom as the manager suggests in his/her responses.

The fire alarms went off on the 2nd night and we (& all other guests) had to evacuate via the stairwell.
I was very surprised that not one staff member was dealing with the guests as we got to the bottom floor. When the firemen let us know we were right to go back to our rooms the staff were still absent - no announcement that reassured guests the situation was over, no apology or explanation for the inconvenience. Again a 'lack of care' for the guests.

There are too many other accommodation options on Collins St to consider staying here again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your feedback and sorry to hear that you wont be staying with us again. I appreciate your detailed comments reagarding all aspects of your stay and this has provided me with comfirmation of some of the areas the existing team needs to work on in providing excellent service. Please be assured we will continue striving to provide outstanding service for each and every guest of ours which was clearly not evident through your stay with us.

albury
Reviewed 30 April 2014

After not having a weekend away with hubby over 2 years this was to be OUR weekend. We booked into a rooftop apartment and I was expecting to be woo when I opened the door. For the money I wasn't really happy. It has a great central location and the restaurant is amazing. I wanted it a weekend that we could remember and some real couple time, but didn't turn out that way. Bathroom is very very tiny and had no room what ever

Room Tip: Do not stay anywhere near the lifts and we had no sleep for 2 nights as they where up and down all n...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
OaksOnCollins, General Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
I am sorry to hear that we were unable to meet your expectations for such a special occasion here in Melbourne with your husband. All Rooftop apartments are slightly different in layout and the staff would have been more than happy to show you an alternate apartment that was more to your liking should you have notified us. I hope that the location of the hotel and buffet breakfast went some way to making your weekend more enjoyable.

Thank you for your comments, they are certainly appreciated.

New South Wales
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Located on Collins Street close to the Spencer Street end so very handy if you want to save $s for taxis and take the excellent Skybus service from Melbourne Airport and walk the few minutes to the hotel. Check-in and check-out was smooth. Usual rush at peak times but the staff were friendly and efficient. Guests appeared to be a mix of business folk and tourists. The concierge is just outside of reception at the top of the set of stairs you ascend from the street to the hotel, which may be an issue for guests with heavier bags or who require help. The room was fine but (as others have reported) the rooms can be odd - the architects (to use all the space) placed some rooms in the centre of the building so you have no exterior light except indirectly from a curtained window onto the common corridor (great for exhibitionists but confronting otherwise). I was in room 1319 and there was one other room (1315?) that was the same. For a couple of nights it was OK but the sense of confinement builds after a while. I found the room well presented: a fully functioning kitchen, small sofa, dining table etc. The bathroom is separated from the room by a frosted glass wall and I recommend the door is closed to keep the steam of the shower from the room (and away from the alarm sensor). You might also need to shave in the shower rather than the basin, which is shallow. Reasonable number of pubs and restaurants close by but for the best range it is better to walk further into the CBD. The restaurant was fine - the menu is limited but adequate (special deals that include drinks some nights of the week) and prices quite reasonable ($25-35 for mains). Drinks were also fair ($8 for an imported beer). Breakfast was the usual buffet but very reasonably priced ($20) by hotel standards and you could pre-purchase on check-in to bring the price down to about $15-16. Gym was OK and the pool is more a lap pool. Overall, good location and fairly priced for this part of town if you shop around. However, be alert to the stairs if you have heavy luggage, and be sure to ask about your room on check-in. If a monastic cell is not your thing, then ask to be moved to a window room.

Room Tip: Ask on check-in whether your room has external windows or is a fully internal room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Matelot2000
Potential travellers will certainly get an in-depth review of the property reading your comments and we appreciate your contribution. Our staff are always more than happy to assist with luggage up the initial set of stairs for anyone with heavy baggage or with special needs. We hope you enjoyed your trip to Melbourne and pleased to hear you found our front desk staff both efficient and pleasant throughout your stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The whole place plays its card as it it were some big deal,
too bad you have to pull your luggage up the entry stairs, internet is blisteringly slow (like dinosaurs era slow), the bathroom is ridiculous, (the sink could only possibly serve as a bathtub for critters but forget about washing your face without injuries...) and it goes from there - downwards.
On top of everything else, whenever I asked for something I was lectured by staff with a very patronising tone clearly in distress as I did not know the very precise rules that govern everything at the Oaks. I guess staff, owners and management could all benefit from an extended trip oversea in order to adjust their attitude, raise their service level and find themselves aligned with international standards.

Room Tip: I was luckily given a 17th floor room with view on Collins, it may be better than other rooms, view...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Luce Sibilla B
Thanks for your comments regarding your stay with us here at Oaks on Collins In April.

I must say I was a little taken aback to read that you believed we pitched the hotel as being such a bid deal. We certainly do take pride in providing clean and comfortable studio-style accommodation with great service at a fair and reason price. The whole team is committed to striving to offer the best service they can and I am certainly shocked to hear that you preceived certain staff to be patronising in any way.

If you would like to contact myself directly at the property, I would really like to discuss your experiences in further detail so I can ascertain exactly what has transpired as I take on board your feedback quite seriously.

Kind regards and hope to speak with you soon.

Hotel Manager