“Location great, hotel not so great”
Review of Arrow On Swanston

Arrow On Swanston
Ranked #130 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Emails not responded to prior to arrival. However we arrived around midnight and was pleased to see a staff member still there to check us in, which went smoothly. We were then kept awake all night by the fan in the bathroom that would not turn off. We woke up freezing, to find that the heat pump also did not work. Very friendly maintenance guy fixed the fan, but despite numerous efforts could not fix the heat pump, he advised that he had requested a room change but the hotel was full. He provided us with an electric heater which was really loud and smelt. On the last 2 days of our stay weather was hot, so room was boiling and we could not use air con and there are no opening windows, so again sleepless nights!! Pay phone in reception didn't work so I asked to use hotel phone to make a local call, was told no so I asked that she check with manager given the problems we have had surely i could use their phone quickly, manager refused! Room service did not attend on one of the week days (they don't attend on Sundays) and when they do attend its just to change the towels and make the bed - they don't change sheets or do your dishes! They also don't start on 9th floor until after 2pm, which is not so great when you have been out walking all day and want a quick nanna nap at 3pm. Reception staff are ok but I found only one of them was super friendly and actually smiled (Aaron? from NZ) . Our room was a twin single which had single beds in separate rooms each with a small wardrobe, desk, chair & bedside table. Whilst room is small, we felt it was ok for the two of us. Beds & pillows comfy!!! Gym is in the building next door, well equipped with 2 treadmill, crosstrainer, rower, 3 bikes, weights machine plus good selection of dumbbells. Swimming pool not heated so did not check this out. I would not stay here again, and I would definitely advise you NOT to stay here in Summer given the problem with the air con!! There is construction going on across the road, but we found this started at a reasonable hour in the mornings and it did not wake us up. (or could that just be because we were so tired from being kept awake most of the night by fan/cold/hot? I dunno!)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 1vs1

Reviewed 9 November 2013

Yes well where do I start. I also stayed the nights the smoke alarms went of 4 times, yes it took ages to rectify as I was on the road side, so I could here the fire trucks running while they where looking for the fire. The next night again the fire trucks came. Also to add to no sleep you have a construction site across the road and one up the street, so they arrived a few mornings and unlocked the gates and started work, 3 AM.. .Also the first day came back to the hotel room was done but the dishes where left and the sofa bed not made. Public holiday no service though it states it on the online booking- daily housekeeping. The next day I had to ask for housekeeping at 4pm they came up and again they left the dishes and it was our 4th night but no beds where change, even though my daughters bed had chocolate on it. The apartment was tiny hardly big enough for 4 adults. Pictures are misleading .

Room Tip: Only have 3 people in an apartment as they are small. Very convenient to Lygon st and resturants.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank sheree s
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

** WARNING: Do not stay here **

First let's start with the positives, or should I say the one positive, the location was great. A few hundred metres from Lygon St in one direction and about the same distance to the markets on the other.

Now for the negatives:
* rooms are small and you can't get into the bed from one side
* they clearly have 'systems' issues. Our room passes didn't work on the car park. This took time to sort out.
* the air conditioners in the room didn't work
* the fire alarm went off five times between 2am and 4am on a Sunday night calling a fire truck each time and sounding a horrendously loud alarm. There was no fire - this was a 'systems' issue I was told. Worst of all there was no explanation on the night provided or apology for the 3 hours sleep I got.
* unfortunately we were put on level 1 and it was noisy as due to the traffic, trams, people outside, oh and of course the fire trucks all night.

SCATHING REVIEW I KNOW BUT YOU COULD NOT PAY ME MONEY TO STAY HERE AGAIN!!

* AVIOD AT ALL COSTS *

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Tangbow
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Massive disappointment from the second we arrived. Having come from the most beautiful experience at the Urban Hotel in St Kilda to this hotel was a kick in the guts... Sad entrance, sad staff who could not smile or care, took full payment as we checked in of $135 (rip off) when The Urban was $99 and faultless.... Told at check in we had a Double bed which is interesting with a 6ft4 partner. Room dark miserable and for little people. Bed did not fit in the area that was designed for it so had to crawl into it. Lucy noisy all night... I could go on forever ... AVOID AT ALL COST

• Stayed: October 2013
6  Thank Angela S
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Starting with the good point was the location reasonable central.
Unfortunately the maintenance issues let this property down. One of the critical items was the air-conditioning which didn't work and even after the maintenance person looked at it there was no improvement. The kettle didn't work and the service desk were not really helpful.
Overall a disappointing experience.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank AussieTravellers555
Reviewed 20 October 2013

It was my first trip to Melbourne and the hotel is located strategically in the centre of the city that allows me to walk about, catch a tram, go round for a cuppa, visit nearby shopping centres, try out various restaurants, having supper at nearby restaurant and a walk in the park,
The room is cosy, clean and well maintained and came with a small kitchen too that is well stocked. The staff were friendly too. Though we are facing another block and can see the occupant's balcony, it is quiet and relaxing.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2013

This over priced property was a relative disappointment. The service was adequate but scant. This is a virtual do it yourself experience. My first room had no water. The maintenance staff had gone home for the day. The next room they put me in was a twin bed arrangement; not what I paid for. This is a sad and somewhat bleak property with little character, and no appeal to speak of. I assess it has few attractive qualities and is expensive for what it offers. The hotel, be warned, takes and holds a $50 bond at time of signing in. They only repay this to your credit card within, they promise, five working days. Outrageous. It is close to the centre of town. That may be an advantage. I shan't be staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business