“Simple but nice”

Ranked #132 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Brisbane, Australia
“Simple but nice”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Arrow on Swanston was great value for money. The room was a decent size for my husband & I, it was clean, & was styled simply with nice neutral colours. It is a modern hotel in a good location, just on the edge of the CBD & very close to Lygon Street restaurants. The staff were friendly & helpful. The only drawback we had was that the shower in the bathroom was open, it had no shower glass or curtain. This meant about 2/3's of the floor was wet after having a shower. Overall though, it offered everything we could ask for in a cheaper hotel category.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lisaluvspink

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I came here for a vacation with my family. I decided to choose this hotel for it's very close to city center. The location is okay with couple of restaurants to be found near the hotel.

You can take tram 8 or any tram going to Melbourne University. The staff is quite nice even so they could be more helpful actually. Some information of Melbourne are provided in the lobby and the room was quite okay.

The price for the room was quite cheap, standard for an apartment and the facility I got was adequate enough. The room was clean and safe as well although it wasn't big enough but okay for three people. Air conditioner and television with cable channel is for you. Sofa and small table. The bathroom might not be large but it's not five stars hotel so it's fine. You will get a kitchen and the kitchenette as well so it will be helpful for you should you want to cook something.

Nice feature for the room is a balcony where you can enjoy nice breeze of Melbourne's air and that's it, nothing special in particular.

Basic accommodation for cheap price hotel in Melbourne but you might get better hotel with the same price.

Room Tip: Pick upper lever rooms for better views
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Donny W
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Pros
-great location
-clean room

Cons (oh so many)
-Didnt have keys ready although we called ahead, sat there waiting for 20 minutes
-Charged me extra 30 dollars because I'd selected 2 people in a single room on the website, then they rang and told me I couldn't do this and they had to charge me 30 dollars extra to upsize me. Their website shouldn't allow this if it isn't possible. I wouldn't have bought a room there for that much had I known.
-Fridge dodgy and not very cold
-Terrible shower, takes ages to warm up and low pressure. I went for a walk while my partner showered and she messaged me asking 'does the shower ever warm up? I've been here 5 minutes'
-Internet costs money, and is only Ethernet, no WiFi. It's 2014, cmon.
-Tried to charge me for parking on check in and check out after I had already paid on the internet.

If it isn't obvious from the above, DONT STAY HERE, the staff are incompetent, don't care about the guests, and don't deserve your money.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Nathan022

Travellers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

If your looking for a cheap, clean, safe place to stay in the city - this is it. Amazingly small but functional rooms - twin share has two seperate bedrooms. No frills, all you need, kitchen, bathroom, little balcony, free wi-fi. Perfect for a low cost stay in the city for some shopping and a show. Walk to city centre Queen Vic markets or tram stop out the front.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Very very basic accomodation, located next to RMIT University.
I suspect the hotel was once back packers or student accomodation for the uni and they have turned it into a "hotel'. The kitchen and toilet/shower areas are extremely small and just enough room to move around. There would be better hotels in this price range. If you are after the most basic of accomodations, this is for you. Unfortunatley I wont be staying here again or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Gail R
Tirana, Albania
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Stayed here due to the very reasonable price that happened to be available for my last minute booking. I was surprised to see upon arrival that they offer housekeeping daily - unusual for apartment hotels in Melbourne. The apartments are very clean as a result, with a very functional kitchen.
The hotel is located just north of the CBD on Swanston St, with the tram at your doorstep allowing for easy access to both the city and the plethora of Italian restaurants on Lygon St in Carlton. Unfortunately this does create a bit of noise.
Balconies are non-functional as there is no access to them from the rooms, though the building also contains residents who seem to have functional balconies.
There is no restaurant contained within the hotel, however there are quite a few options nearby and of course, you can always cook for yourself too.
Overall, an average place to stay at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Try to get an apartment that doesn't have windows facing Swanston St if you want a quieter room
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank mslexxi
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 26 April 2014

After reading some of these reviews, I was quite hesitant to book at this hotel. However, since our trip fell on a long weekend, the hotels were booking up and the prices were at their peak, so we reluctantly chose Arrow on Swanston as it was more affordable.

As the reception is staffed from the early morning through to late at night, the staff members rotate around, but as far as I'm concerned they were all friendly and helpful. I'm unsure of how some of the said reviewers were able to interpret their service as rude in any way.

As for the rooms, we had a double room on the fourth floor. It was clean and well-presented; an aspect I am quite picky about. There was a fridge, cooktop, cutlery and crockery and a microwave in the room. The fridge wasn't in the best working order; we put a carton of milk in there overnight and in the morning it was frozen solid. I can't speak for the cook top as we ate out every night anyway.

The size of our room was fine; not overly spacious but definitely comfortable. However, the same could not be said for the group that we travelled with. They had booked a room for 3 people, which had one room with a single bed and another with a double. The kitchen/dining area was smaller than the one in our double room, so I can't imagine how crammed it would have gotten if they were to eat a meal together in there. It wasn't a huge issue though because we were out all day and only used the rooms to sleep and shower.

Probably the main pitfall of this place was the uncomfortable bed.

The hotel has a gym and pool, but we didn't have time to use those facilities. The location was very good considering the price, about 10 minutes walk to China town and 20 minutes walk to Federation square (of course you can catch the tram or a taxi there in less time).

Overall, I recommend this hotel if you are looking for conveniently located, no-frills, budget-friendly accommodation in Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business