“Single travellers - stay elsewhere! Families - this might be more your thing!”

Apartments on Lygon - Melbourne
Ranked #145 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 5 May 2012

Nothing was really wrong with this place - but then again nothing was really right. This property looks to present itself as a hotel but they definitely are not - half the apartments are owned or leased permanently to smokers apparently (the stairwell always stank like cigarettes), and there are no amenities. My apartment was inexplicably not made up for 2 days in a row, there is no heating in the bedrooms, the kitchen and bathroom were in desperate need of a renovation, the cupboards and fixtures looked like they were from the 1960's. This being said, the staff were okay and the location is fantastic, but considering I could have stayed at a 'real' hotel in a comparable location for the same price - I'm a little disappointed I didn't!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank mnonki
There are newer reviews for Apartments on Lygon - Melbourne

Reviewed 12 January 2012

Ex location. Trams to city outside or a 20 min walk. Large well appointed rooms/apartments. some reconditioning ben done. Lots of extras. Friendly staff, hgere are restraunts within 5 minutes, There are NO other apartments anywhere nearby therefore these are in prime spot. We will return. Not over pricy for what and where.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank 317BarryK317
Reviewed 1 January 2012

Though having read some of the negative reviews below, we stayed here and found the apartments to be good for a family of 5 - with adequate bedding that it hard to find in hotels.

The furnishings were not 5 star luxury (beds are little more than a couple of mattresses on the ground), but as this was only required as somewhere to sleep that was fine. Also handy to have the kitchen, with cutlery; crockery etc and washer; dryer - you don't get this in most hotels.

As far as staff goes, I was wary of this but found the young guy who checked us in most efficient and polite / helpful. He even suggested a good place in nearby Rathdowne Street for dinner. The older lady (mentioned by others) was rather odd. One of those oddball characters you come across from time to time in this industry. The day before check out I asked her if I could just leave the key in the room (we were planning on leaving early); and she accused me of not having paid yet and said she'd charge my credit card. When I convinced her I had in fact paid (to the younger guy mentioned above), no apology for the "guilty until proven innocent" approach. I think in a previous life she was a check in clerk at Aushwitz.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This is the first bad review I have written on Trip Advisor but I feel very strongly that people should know that I'm sure they could find much better accommodation in Melbourne.
The room and location were ok, although the stairwell stunk of cigerettes and the rooms themselves were only of average cleanliness. We stayed here for over a week and when we went to leave the woman who owned the business tried to get us to pay more than we had been quoted. There was no wireless when we got there, however they got wireless during our stay but the woman on the desk had no idea how to use it. They struggled to find our booking and anything that we asked for was a bother, we even had to put out our own rubbish when we left or there was a fine. The heatpump was also very loud, which made it hard to sleep in these cold rooms. All and all not a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2011

We booked a deluxe two bedroom apartment for three nights on Wotif before we read the reviews here. Initially we were quite apprehensive based on those reviews but were pleasantly surprised. There was indeed a strange smell in the hallways but none in the apartment which was all we cared about. The young man at the reception desk was very polite and very helpful. We did meet the lady that other reviewers have complained about and I don't believe that she is intentionally rude, it's just the odd way that she comes across.

Anyway, to the apartment itself. It was large and well-maintained. The beds were very comfortable and no signs of bedbugs (we checked). The amenities were good should we have needed them (dishwasher + washing machine/dryer). It came with basically all the appliances you would expect in your own apartment. I did hear some scrabbling on the roof one morning which got me worried about the rat the other reviewer had mentioned but I think it was actually just a possum. The apartments were very well located near all the wonderful Italian restaurants on Lygon Street and within easy walking distance of the city. For the services provided and the location, I think these apartments were very reasonably priced. We will be back :)

Room Tip: Not specific tip but the deluxe rooms were good.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank MerryMimi
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Beware that what you book is not what you get. I booked a deluxe queen room the night before my arrival on the hotels own website. Upon my arrival I was given a room that was an unrenovated 2 bedroom apartment. There was limited furnishings, a leaking shower base which meant you had to stand in a puddle of water to blowdry your hair as the only powerpoint was directly behind the vanity. Plus there was no hot water.

The Manager when questioned offered no apology or explanation as to why the room I had booked and paid for was not what I was given. Her only comment was that it was the only room available. Given that the queen deluxe was available when I booked it the night before I did question her on what happened but received no explanation.

I sent a letter of formal complaint and a month later have still not received any answer to my query regarding the above issues.

Thank goodness for Trip Advisor where this information can be passed on to others.

Room Tip: Don't pay before you see the room
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jems61
Reviewed 18 May 2011

This apartment block is well situated opposite a tram stop. The staff are unfriendly an unwelcoming. The apartment allocated was up on the 3rd floor with no lifts. No offer was made to help or enquire if any help was required to take suitcases up the stairs. The apartment is quite spacious as well as clean. The daily servicing was well done and the apartment kept clean. The apartment was however a nightmare for a non-smoker - the foyer area and stairwell wreaked of smoke, and the lounge room every morning was filled with the smell of cigarette smoke. For some reason the smell didn't make it into the bedroom which was a relief, but the room was certainly not a non-smoking room. I wouldn't recommend staying here for anyone with an allergy to cigarette smoke.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business