“Good choice for Hawthorn Stay”
Review of Glenferrie Hotel

Glenferrie Hotel
Ranked #123 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 9 August 2013

A lot of character and great food and friendly and helpful staff, room can be a little noisy until bar quietens down. Convenient access to CBD via nearby rail station and to Swinburne University. Close to a variety of cafe's and bars and local shops.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Lovely hotel, with excellent food and brilliant service. Decor of bar is beautiful. Friendly staff and quality food is offered at this hotel. I enjoyed my stay, value for money. I hope to see you all very soon. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night, however the cost of the room and facilities does not justify the room rate. No breakfast included, unable to adjust the split type air conditioner & the flat screen tv had no remote & location meant that you could only watch from one of the twin beds in the room.
The room contained a spa bath, but was unable to be used as there was no plug. Han basin also had no plug.
Pictures on the web site make the place look better than it is.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank AUSBKK
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights only to visit my son who lives in Hawthorn. I booked a King spa room for about $150/night which was quite good value. I arrived early and my room was not ready but Jess the Duty Manager was most courteous and accommodating, took my bag and fast tracked the cleaning while I had a look around the area. Great cafes, shopping strip, close to the Glenferrie railway station and the best coffee/eating house is right next door...Axil Coffee Roasters...the best breakfast ever!
I had booked my room on the Hotel's website with the strict request for a non smoking room and one which didn't face the traffic. Well they met my first request but not the second. My room faced onto Burwood Road which is exceptionally noisy with the 4am road sweeper, morning delivery trucks and general traffic. Needless to say I returned home exceptionally sleep deprived!
The hotel itself is well looked after, the pub has all the football and rugby on, the king bed was comfortable, the room was well maintained, the heater worked well, the TV worked well after some initial tuning issues, the spa was relaxing and generally the hotel was good...I just wished I had another room. Just one other thing they were having some IT issues so there was no internet in room wi-fi which is not really acceptable these days and could be a deal breaker for some. If you need to be in the area it works well.

Room Tip: Just make sure you book a room that does not face busy Burwood Road and also if you are on the top f...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed at the Glenferrie Hotel for 2 nights. The arrival was 'interesting' with the receptionist hidden behind a frosted glass window. You had to press the bell for her to open up. The check in took a little time as our booking information seemed to be 'confused' in the system. Lucky we had an email on our iPhone with booking reference numbers etc.

Once in our room (you need to walk up flights of stairs so not great for the elderly/disabled) it was large with a large comfortable bed, leather couch and heritage style bathroom which included a spa bath. We were happy with the room, although it wasn't overly clean. Welcome Tim Tams on the bed was a nice touch.

We were on the first floor facing the main road so traffic noise was a little loud - but not unbearable. As too was the music from the restaurant/pub directly below us. The first night the music finished about 11 pm but the second night it went on until after midnight. Lucky we were really tired each night so it didn't keep us awake.

The hotel is within a close walking distance to shops, transport, restaurants etc and only a short drive to the Epworth Hospital Campberwell, which is where we needed to be each day.

Check out was quick - mainly because their computer system was down so they just said that they will charge any costs to our already swiped credit card. To get to the car park you need to walk through the main restaurant area which can be a little embarrassing with a pillow under your arm - but hey, we will probably never see these people again!! There are limited car parks so it is the luck of the draw really.

Overall it was a comfortable stay. Is it the best value hotel for the area - I'm not sure, but I would consider staying here again even if only for the reason that we now know the location, surroundings and what to expect in terms of standard and service.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are able to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs or two.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Had a one night stay and found the manager on duty to be friendly and helpful. The room was old fashioned but lovely and clean and very spacious and I loved the high ceilings and two windows. The bathroom was also large with a spa bath and shower. Booked for dinner later that night and again the manager was very obliging issuing me with a charge card for meals and drinks which kept things simple. My party of 6 for dinner all enjoyed their meals and we all commented on what a great variety there was on the above average menu. Prices were reasonable and drinks at pub prices. The continental breakfast delivered to my room the night before was exceptional value and included cereal, yoghurt, fruit salad, orange juice, sourdough bread x2 for toast, butter jam & vegemite for $7.50. All in all a very pleasant experience. Would definitely stay again and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We stayed at the Glenferrie Hotel as it was convenient for a wedding we attended in Hawthorn.
The room was great, high ceilings, big bed, and all the accoutrements we required for our short stay.
I was a bit concerned about the noise from the bar downstairs when we got back late, but was no issue at all.
The place has a wonderful feel, wooded floorboards, nice staircase, old world hotel ambiance.
The wi-Fi was a bit dodgy, password didn't seem to work.
My only negative, which is neither here nor there, was the amount of furniture cluttering up the room.
No need for 2 couches, in fact 1 armchair would have been fine, and would have opened up the room more!
All in all, a great place to stay, so much nicer than a boring motel or apartment.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Comfort Hotel East Melbourne
#122 of 161 in Melbourne
Lygon Street
Lygon Lodge Carlton
Lygon Lodge Carlton
#115 of 161 in Melbourne

Been to Glenferrie Hotel? Share your experiences!