“HIDDEN GEM”

Ranked #120 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Wangaratta, Australia
“HIDDEN GEM”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This hotel has recently been taken over by a new management team,and what a team there professional approach is as good as it gets ,rooms very,very tasteful done ,close to trasport shops.The wife and i have just had our eyes done and had trouble seeing and doing a lot,but the new team ,lead by a mr drayson bushell were outstanding ,Yes high recomend this beautiful place,and the dream team We thank you and salute you job well done

Room Tip: We stayed in room one and it was one the first floor very quite and lovely room with spa bath,
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 9 August 2013

A lot of character and great food and friendly and helpful staff, room can be a little noisy until bar quietens down. Convenient access to CBD via nearby rail station and to Swinburne University. Close to a variety of cafe's and bars and local shops.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Lovely hotel, with excellent food and brilliant service. Decor of bar is beautiful. Friendly staff and quality food is offered at this hotel. I enjoyed my stay, value for money. I hope to see you all very soon. Thanks guys!!

• Stayed July 2013
Bangkok
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed for one night, however the cost of the room and facilities does not justify the room rate. No breakfast included, unable to adjust the split type air conditioner & the flat screen tv had no remote & location meant that you could only watch from one of the twin beds in the room.
The room contained a spa bath, but was unable to be used as there was no plug. Han basin also had no plug.
Pictures on the web site make the place look better than it is.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank AUSBKK
Perth, Western Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights only to visit my son who lives in Hawthorn. I booked a King spa room for about $150/night which was quite good value. I arrived early and my room was not ready but Jess the Duty Manager was most courteous and accommodating, took my bag and fast tracked the cleaning while I had a look around the area. Great cafes, shopping strip, close to the Glenferrie railway station and the best coffee/eating house is right next door...Axil Coffee Roasters...the best breakfast ever!
I had booked my room on the Hotel's website with the strict request for a non smoking room and one which didn't face the traffic. Well they met my first request but not the second. My room faced onto Burwood Road which is exceptionally noisy with the 4am road sweeper, morning delivery trucks and general traffic. Needless to say I returned home exceptionally sleep deprived!
The hotel itself is well looked after, the pub has all the football and rugby on, the king bed was comfortable, the room was well maintained, the heater worked well, the TV worked well after some initial tuning issues, the spa was relaxing and generally the hotel was good...I just wished I had another room. Just one other thing they were having some IT issues so there was no internet in room wi-fi which is not really acceptable these days and could be a deal breaker for some. If you need to be in the area it works well.

Room Tip: Just make sure you book a room that does not face busy Burwood Road and also if you are on the top f...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Mount Beauty, Australia
Reviewed 17 May 2013

We stayed at the Glenferrie Hotel for 2 nights. The arrival was 'interesting' with the receptionist hidden behind a frosted glass window. You had to press the bell for her to open up. The check in took a little time as our booking information seemed to be 'confused' in the system. Lucky we had an email on our iPhone with booking reference numbers etc.

Once in our room (you need to walk up flights of stairs so not great for the elderly/disabled) it was large with a large comfortable bed, leather couch and heritage style bathroom which included a spa bath. We were happy with the room, although it wasn't overly clean. Welcome Tim Tams on the bed was a nice touch.

We were on the first floor facing the main road so traffic noise was a little loud - but not unbearable. As too was the music from the restaurant/pub directly below us. The first night the music finished about 11 pm but the second night it went on until after midnight. Lucky we were really tired each night so it didn't keep us awake.

The hotel is within a close walking distance to shops, transport, restaurants etc and only a short drive to the Epworth Hospital Campberwell, which is where we needed to be each day.

Check out was quick - mainly because their computer system was down so they just said that they will charge any costs to our already swiped credit card. To get to the car park you need to walk through the main restaurant area which can be a little embarrassing with a pillow under your arm - but hey, we will probably never see these people again!! There are limited car parks so it is the luck of the draw really.

Overall it was a comfortable stay. Is it the best value hotel for the area - I'm not sure, but I would consider staying here again even if only for the reason that we now know the location, surroundings and what to expect in terms of standard and service.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are able to carry your luggage up a flight of stairs or two.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Wodonga, Australia
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Had a one night stay and found the manager on duty to be friendly and helpful. The room was old fashioned but lovely and clean and very spacious and I loved the high ceilings and two windows. The bathroom was also large with a spa bath and shower. Booked for dinner later that night and again the manager was very obliging issuing me with a charge card for meals and drinks which kept things simple. My party of 6 for dinner all enjoyed their meals and we all commented on what a great variety there was on the above average menu. Prices were reasonable and drinks at pub prices. The continental breakfast delivered to my room the night before was exceptional value and included cereal, yoghurt, fruit salad, orange juice, sourdough bread x2 for toast, butter jam & vegemite for $7.50. All in all a very pleasant experience. Would definitely stay again and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Hawthorn Gardens Serviced Apartments
Albert Heights Serviced Apartments
Toorak Manor
Toorak Manor
#1 of 1 in Toorak

Been to Glenferrie Hotel? Share your experiences!