“Grand Mercure Dockland apartments review”

The Sebel Residences Melbourne Docklands
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a group of 3 x 3 bedroom apartments for the weekend for a girls shopping/dinning adventure and this was a nightmare from the very start we were all seperated even some in a different building, even after we requested to be all together when booking 6 months earlier - we were locked in the lift and the car park due to the security key not working - we couldn't visit the other people in the above floor as you only have access to your floor. we had to walk a block and half to go back to reception definaltey not suitable for group bookings. no indoor pool, but its actually outside.
the room was clean, and the view was lovely, the bed was comfortable and the shower amazing - the location is right on the water above restaurants, so if there is only a couple or family you will most likely enjoy your stay more so than a group of 18.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 4 April 2014

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank CandJ60
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights. Amazing view and nice enough apartment but getting a bit worn. Kitchen was pretty understocked, gym was hopeless - not much equipment, boiling hot, kids playing around on the equipment and rickety equipment. For the price you could stay somewhere much nicer - we stayed a third night at sebel in just a studio and were much more comfortable.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jgmandmlm
Reviewed 31 March 2014

I booked Grand Mercure Apartments Docklands based on its relatively convenient location to where I would need to travel for work over the course of a five-day business trip.

I arrived late in the evening and despite calling the hotel earlier to confirm the address had a hard time finding it. After a couple of laps around Docklands one-way system I eventually registered the fact that Grand Mercure was sharing it's operation with The Sebel. On checking in I was informed that GM Docklands operate EIGHT DIFFERENT apartment blocks at Docklands and that I would be staying at The Conder - a completely different location to where I was expecting to check-in.

After a short drive (and a U-turn) later I located the underground car park and made my way to Level 4 (which is actually Level 3, but that's a whole other story!). After parking my car I spent the next five minutes looking for an exit to the apartment block - being a residential apartment it's not exactly signposted for travellers! Once in the vanilla corridors of the apartment block I wandered the floor until I found a lift – it didn't go up to my level, so I had to go down to reception and find another lift that DID take me to the tenth floor. Faced by another long dimly lit vanilla corridor I took a left turn and realised the apartment numbers weren’t in my favour, so turned back around and eventually located my apartment.

On entering I was pleasantly surprised my it’s spaciousness and cleanliness, however, it was pretty soulless and the configuration was odd (not per the layout on the hotel website) but given I would spend little time in the apartment I wasn’t too bothered. Having arrived late I was hungry and just about ready for a nightcap but given this was a residential block and not part of the actual GM Docklands (or Sebel) I was out of luck. Room service is not an option.

Despite being on the tenth floor the room was still noisy with sounds from the trains and trams below very audible. The four telephone calls received throughout the week added to the disruption – all from telemarketers trying to sell energy savings. It’s annoying enough getting these calls at home!

The final nail in the coffin came at the end of the week when I had to pay $20/night parking for an allocated space that came with the apartment! I understand the cost is listed on the website as an additional charge but it’s not like parking is limited.

Make no mistake about it - these are residential apartments being rented out through GM. That is all well and good when you expect it but when you’re anticipating the hotel perks that often come with apartment set-ups it’s a frustration and a disappointment.

Two last things to add when it comers to the apartments, and this deals with safety. There were no fire evacuation maps or notices in the apartment, and given the confusing and bland layout of the block this could be an issue. Signage on the corridors is pretty much non-existent though by Day Four I did have the place mapped out!

Also be sure to lock your door! As it closes behind you it doesn’t actually lock and you have to use the key to deadbolt the door.

Of course, this information only applies to The Conder – one of the eight properties operated at Docklands by Grand Mercure. What you get may be very different! Be sure to do your research in advance.

Room Tip: Call and talk to reception about EXACTLY what you're getting.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank drv_au
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Not a great start to our experience at this hotel. Cab driver couldn't find the hotel and then when we arrive its branded The Sebel not Grand Mercure. Then after requesting an early check-in of 12noon i am told we can't get into room until 2pm and aren't even offered suggestions of restaurants etc - lets hope the experience gets better

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I stayed in a two bedroom apartment with a harbour view for five nights and overall found the stay enjoyable. The view really was stunning as we were on the 12th floor, the room was spacious, stylish and well decorated- not your basic boring hotel décor. The room was also tidy and of a high standard. The only negatives were that there was no information in the room about the apartments themselves or the facilities available. It took a us a while to figure out how to work the dishwasher and TV and we had no idea whether our rooms would be cleaned during our stay. There was also no information available about where to eat in the area. The bed room I slept in and was by the balcony and had what sounded like an air conditioning vent above it- it could have belonged to the room above us as we did not use our own, and it was rather noisy during the night and in the morning so if your a light sleeper I doubt you could sleep in this room. Overall a nice place to stay in a great location- very close to town- just a couple of small negatives.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family