“We should have left after 3 nights”

City Centre Budget Hotel
Ranked #118 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 7 November 2013

My daughter and I stayed in this hotel over the weekend preceding the Melbourne Cup (i.e. when all the hotels in Melbourne were bursting at the seams). We arrived late on the Thursday night and the 'after hours check' in procedure went off without a hitch which was great. The room was very basic but serviceable and at the price we weren't expecting more. It would have been nice to get fresh coffee cups rather than having to rinse them out in the bathroom but that was a minor issue. The communal bathrooms were ok - absolutely basic to the point where there are no shelves or hooks next to the basins but they were reasonably clean. For a hotel that was at maximum occupancy we were surprised that we were not really aware of any other guests - no noise, no encounters in the bathrooms... and if we had left after 3 nights that would have been the impression we took away with us.

Unfortunately on our last night everything turned to custard. My daughter encountered a naked guest roaming the bathrooms and had to avoid 2 of the toilets which were absolutely filthy with excrement and vomit. In the middle of the night we were woken by a loud and extended argument coming from a room nearby and then for much of the night there seemed to be a party going on in one of the rooms. We were feeling quite sleep-deprived by the morning! We checked out early and were unable to discuss the issue with anyone as reception was unattended when we left.

I do want to make it clear that we had 3 nights which were absolutely fine and the issues we had were not with the hotel and staff themselves but rather with fellow guests. So it really is the luck of the draw as to what kind of experience you have but I would think twice about booking into a 'shared bathroom' situation again as a female (or 2 females) travelling alone. The front desk is unmanned overnight and there is no 'hotel security' on site to handle issues with problem guests.

Room Tip: As others have mentioned, an 'air well' facing room close to the bathrooms is ideal.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Bglbudi

Reviewed 22 October 2013

This hotel is nothing fancy as the name suggests but for a stop over in Melbourne is in a good location at a good price. It was a little noisy at times but this wasn't an issue for me. It won't suit everyone but staff are friendly and it has the basics if that's what you're looking for.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Victoria P
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was not sure about this booking until I had a personal email from the managers and it was such a friendly and helpful one I knew I was going to be OK. The outstanding features of the place are the helpful reception personnel; the cleanliness of everything; the location. The down-side for me was the noise at night when unthinking residents came loudly back from their night on the town. temporary disturbances but annoying. Other than that I found this to be an ideal base for a short business trip to Melbourne on a budget. Definitely going back there and can definitely recommend to any traveler looking for a safe, clean and affordable option. The free wifi was reliable and fast - better than in much more expensive hotels I stay in elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for an internal room on either level one or level two. And get a room close to the shared bathr...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Watermannz
Reviewed 5 October 2013

I guess you could say this place is compatible with its price.. For a budget hotel, they are very sufficient. However, maybe you want to take note not to on the shower too much, to have enough hot shower.

Also, take note there is no elevator. That is a problem if your have big and heavy luggages.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is indeed a very budget hotel that sometimes I feel that a hostel is much better for the price we paid.

We stayed here for 4 nights. We took the skybus to the hotel from the airport and they stopped us at Windsor Hotel which is just a minute walk away from the hotel. For the return, the hotel helped to arrange the airport transfer pick up from Windsor Hotel too and for this, I would say location wise it is quite convenient for us. It is within walking distance to the CBD and the city tram is just around the corner at the main street.

The room is very tiny and cramp. There is no view, no cupboard and no attached bathroom. Guests use the common toilets and bathrooms but there are sufficient for our use and we need not queue or wait. The water jug in the room was very rusty and they do not have an extra to change for us so we could not make any drinks the entire stay. Fortunately there is a 7-11 just around the corner and my husband goes there every morning to buy me coffee:-)

The hotel does not have any lift and it's quite inconvenient if you have big heavy luggage. There is also no lounge or lobby so we have to stay in the room all the time. Opposite the hotel, the construction is ongoing and they start work very early every morning like 6am. It was so noisy.

The kitchen is quite isolated at the roof top and I do not feel safe going there alone.

Apart from the above, I do enjoy the free wifi at the hotel. Service is ok. If you just need a room to sleep then it's ok but for the price I would rather book a double bed room at a hostel which has all the facilities that we need and also a lounge to hang out.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Relatively small rooms as compared to even backpackers. Service is not that great either. Walls are too thin that I could hear the couple having 'fun' next door. No elevator is just another. Economical though and the train station was literally next door. Convenient traveling within the city made easy with the free tram station just few steps away.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed for 4nights at this budget hotel, and the word budget fits the title well. The rooms were small and basic, but were comfortable and fine for the money you pay. Only downside is there is no view, windows are not doubled glazed making it freezing at night and the walls were super thin. You can hear everyone walk down corridor and conversations in the next room. The worse thing was on the Saturday night we got kept up until 4am from a group of girls partying one side and a couple drinking arguing and a baby crying the other side. Reception is only opened till 9.30pm so you have to deal with matters on your own.
There is a kitchen on the roof and a washing machine. Personal I wouldn't serve food to a dog in there. The shared bathrooms were cleaned daily and were in fine working order, just make sure you use them when not many others do otherwise the hot water occasionally turns cold!
Reception staff were really nice and helpful and there is a couple of computers with printing facilities. Great location at the top of CBD and easy tram links around the city.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple