“good low cost hotel”
Review of Hotel Sophia

Hotel Sophia
Ranked #152 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 5 September 2013

good location, great price includes breakfast and rooms and clean, quiet enough and convenient. if you want 5 stars look elsewhere but for great value I use this hotel and have stayed quite a number of times

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank breckscottyoung

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Great location for town center visit, easier to catch a tram for free town visit and to drop by anywhere we wish to. Near to Queen Victoria Market for almost everything to get at Melbourne and also China Town to look for Chinese food.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Melbourne was completed booked out and my friend made a reservation in this pit.
Small rooms are not the issue, but stumbling over dirty linen bags in the lift, a generally not very clean environment especially the bathrooms, a closed restaurant on a Saturday, a dead rather seedy location and the most basic hotel I have ever seen made this a stay from hell. However, worst of all the staff. The short overweight Receptionist with long greasy hair was unhelpful, rude and generally incompetent. She referred to the Management who I demanded to speak to called Dimitrios as she was simply not interested to deal with customers. Half the time the Reception Counter was unoccupied and the apparent Manager was never available or present. Given the lack of any replies to any of the reviews here on Tripadvisor I must conclude that they simply do not care! And that certainly shows. To call this a hotel is simply an insult.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
6  Thank captainkirk1
Reviewed 20 August 2013

More like a backpacker hostel with single rooms.
Tiny tiny room with a double bed.
Everything cut down in size due to the lack of space.
Creaky corridors as is the case with really old hotels.
The single lift just looks like it is ready to give way.
Cheap. Rooms functional despite micro size.
Quiet enough in the room I had though.
Staff friendly and efficient. Location ok, but more on city edge, but ok for Southern Cross.
Once is enough. (no pool or gym) Bathroom was good though.
4 stars is generous. (3.6 about right)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 August 2013

Awesome location close to everything, friendly staff, great room with more extras than expected plus pub on site. Can't go past the $8 chicken parmy, chips and beer! Next time we're in Melbourne will definitely stay there again!

Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed one night, room was fine, bed good. Bathroom tiles dirty with mould. On arrival staff refused to accept cash for the $150 bond they demanded, they debited $300 from our credit card by mistake, swiped it twice!! Didn't acknowledge their error until check-out time next day. Then told us that it could be 5 days before the bond was refunded to our account, saying that we should fax our bank directly to facilitate and expedite the process!!! Staff were ok to deal with on a personal level, but were obviously forced to follow very unreasonable management requirements.
We have travelled extensively in Australia and throughout the world and have never encountered such intransigent treatment. We will never stay here again and will advise friends and associates not to stay here also!!

2  Thank Rahzie
Reviewed 9 August 2013

I stayed in hotel Sophia this week just to attend a fair. I booked the hotel just looking for a clean place in a central location for someone who is not familiar with Melbourne. I booked the hotel and I liked at trip advisor after I had booked it and got worried that I would then be disappointed not able to sleep with terrible service. To my surprise I found a great little city hotel, walking distance to southern cross station and to the exhibition centre where I was meant to go. It was clean and modern way beyond my expectations, the fact you could make different teas and coffee, with milk and coffee maker was a bonus.. The bathroom was spotless with fresh clean towels, nice little soaps and even a bathrobe. The breakfast in the morning exceeded my expectations as to be honest ... Not sure that it is the fact I'm from Sydney where everything is overpriced I would have never ever beyond my wildest dream have ever been able to book a room so good with bfast for this price in the Sydney CBD. I u d'état and some people complain about the noise here.., but if you think that is going to be an issue just ask for a room that doesn't face the main road. After all you are in the Melbournes CBD. I did wait for about 2 mins for someone to come to reception when I arrived, but then again I realised I'm not staying in the park royal so I would recommend this to anyone who wants value for money.

2  Thank vavila23