Hotel Sophia
  • Free Internet
  • Pool
Oaks On William(Melbourne)
  • Room Service
The Jazz Corner Hotel(Melbourne)
Quest on William(Melbourne)
  • Room Service
All reviewsplunger coffeesouthern cross stationking stfree breakfastetihad stadiumvictoria marketssky busfree tramshort stayconvenient locationpublic transportcbdskybusaudcupboarddocklands
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 5 June 2014

I moved from the Georgian Court, which I feel has gone down now in the service and response to customer requests. However, I moved to the Hotel Sophia, which was clean, friendly and so very well located to the Spencer St Station, for buses to the Airport. So I was much happier there. I had stayed at the Georgian Court since my son moved to Melbourne in 2001, but they have changed hands and I feel it's not as good now. Sad but true.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night for a hen's night. It was very central, had clean rooms, was quiet & good value for money. They include a hot buffet breakfast which has the usual offerings, but I did not get a chance to sample it. Others who stayed did and said it was okay but nothing to write home about....

We got a triple room which is WAY larger than any of the twin rooms we saw.

Bathroom was good size, it has all the things you want in a hotel room, just a little on the small size but beds and sheets were comfy and clean as were the pillows.

Room Tip: Ask for a triple room has King size bed and a single and WAY more room to move around!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Bockie
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I went to Melbourne for work and I booked this hotel as the pictures online looked okay,
to my surprise the hotel rooms were TINY! a lot smaller than what was online.

We requested the room not to be serviced and it was serviced. The items left of the bed were missing and when we went down to the reception the answer we got was "sorry nothing we can do about it"

Terrible. Will not be returning.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Sophia C
Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel was my first experience of Melbourne and I requested a refund after 1 night and finally checked out after the 2nd night. Here's why:

The bad:
=======

Internet access (and you pay for it) is terrible with a Speedtest coming in at 0.5mbps on the download and upload so keeping in touch with family via Skype is a no no.

The hotel advertises a gym and I enquired beforehand about this and there is no gym.

The breakfast consists of sloppy scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, breads, cereals and fruit. I guess it's adequate but the restaurants around in Melbourne are quite good so you don't want to limit yourself to filling up on crap.

The good:
=======

Cheap accommodation

The okay:
=======

Front desk aren't as absent as what other reviews make them out to be. If they're not around, you simply ring the bell and they come out.

Front desk aren't as knowledgeable and seems rather dazed like marijuana has just been legalized in Melbourne.

The location (despite what locales tell me) isn't as bad. The area isn't as seedy as what they make it out to be. In fact it's not seedy at all - perhaps Australians have very high standards.

The area is known to be in the vicinity of strip and night clubs so drunken laughter can be heard from time to time.

Room Tip: The area is known to be in the vicinity of strip and night clubs so drunken laughter can be heard from time to time so ask for a room away from the streets.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Rgdacosta
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Rooms are small but extremely well looked after. Very clean. Ideal for short holiday if out most of time. Close to all that Melbourne has to offer....transport, shops,parks. One problem ..reception slow to respond but staff have to multitask it seems. Need more staff. Enjoyable stay. Forget breakfast though!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo