“smallest rooms ever”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Melbourne
Mayflower On Lonsdale
Ranked #159 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 20 December 2011

I guess this really is a case of you get what you pay for!
Tiny rooms - not much bigger than the bed in it, limited staff access, extra payments, parking down the street.
Rooms were clean but cramped. I would hate to stay here if you had the maximum permissible people.

Room Tip: Really decide how much location is worth then look elsewhere
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Mayflower On Lonsdale

Reviewed 4 December 2010

This place was by far the best price I could get to sleep a family of 4 in central Melbourne. $179 p/n for 3 nights for 4 people. Good location, about a block and a half to Swanston St.

I understand that this was formally Mayflower On Lonsdale. No reception desk, instead you are met by someone who shows you to your apartment and leaves you with their phone number. This suited us fine as we were out for 2 solid days and only stayed 3 nights. Not so great if you would like local information etc, although a few tourist brouchures had been left in the lounge.

Very tiny lounge/kitchen area. The most cooking we could manage was frozen dinners in the micowave and cereal and toast. Any thing more than that would be a struggle for 4 people. Uncomfortable 2 seater lounge, table to seat 3.

Bed rooms are very small, and beds are indeed a plank of chipboard, but we found them quite comfortable. At least they can't sag in the middle...Could do with some window covering on the very tiny bedroom window, which is made of 16 glass bricks set hign in the wall. So you can't see out but they still let in quite a bit of light. This was a bit annoying for some in our family.

Bathroom ok, very large shower, water pressure ok for an apartment. I didn't mind the front (tiny) balcony onto the street, I expect a bit of noise in a CBD.

Several lovely eating spots on the street below, one of which, Dhaka, I have reviewed separately. I would say that they contribute to the cooking smell in the building. Mostly the smells were ok.

Seems to be a fair bit of longer term rental in the building, which did not bother us.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Was taken aback by being asked to pay for room in cash. However, my refusal and credit card were accepted. I had booked a 2 B/R apartment. Bedrooms extremely tiny and had no windows. It felt like you were sleeping in a cupboard. Not enough room to move bed from wall, hence sheet all tucked in one side of the bed & just touching wall on the other side. Blanket dirty and had "something" on it which had crusted! The lounge room (for want of a better word) was so small the couch was placed alongside the TV instead of opposite it.The glass sliding door to balcony, which was the only source of natural light in the apartment, was filthy. My husband found himself standing in a puddle as he shaved, only to discover a leaking pipe under sink. Location is great, but this place is NOT value for money.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 February 2010

We stayed at Mayflower in January and were absolutley shocked at the absolute poor quality of this hotel. Firstly we were put into a tail spin when the lady at the front desk wanted me to pay CASH up front for our 3 night stay. I asked to use my card and was told the machine was broken. I said I'd come back later when machine was running only to be advised that it had been off line for 2 months!!! They then persisted in me doing cash transfer on net around the corner. Something very fishy!!! This is the first step in my complaint process as we only stayed here as it was sent out as a promotion by Qantas.

We echo every other complaint in the reviews:
1. Bed - a piece of chipboard
2. Bedding - no blankets. Double bed had single synthetic blanket. Thank god it wasn't winter.
3. Shoe box - barley moved, not apartment at all
4. Lounges dirty and one had lost it's leg. Very uncomfortable
5. Cleanliness of entire apartment appalling - looked like no one had been in our apartment for months
6. Customer service - no one ever around to help.
7. Cash payment upfront only
8. Bathroom had no washing machine but drain pipe sticking up out of the floor which let the smell of sewerage into whole apartment.

Only saving grace good location, however, far more accommodation available in just as good locations.
Never again. Atrocious.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank AussieYoungMum
Reviewed 17 January 2010

Sofa was very dirty and stained and beds are a piece of chip board with a mattress on top.Ridiculous!!!First and last time we stay here.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 June 2009

If you get nothing else from this review then follow this advice - the moment you check in ask for extra blankets for all beds. Melbourne winter is COLD and a thin synthetic blanket and sheet are NOT enough. We stayed here with our two kids for one night. It was not expensive but it wasn't a great bargain either. Plus the whole place just felt a bit drab and sad. Don't really recommend, though location is good for self catering and it's probably the cheapest self-catering 2 bedroom apartment you'll find. It was adequate, but shop around first. AND GET EXTRA BEDDING.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank nellup
Reviewed 5 May 2009

I have stayed at the Mayflower on two occasions and have found it to be fine. I am unsure of what others expect for the price and the star rating. A lot of the gripes that people seem to have (such as no phone and no parking) are advertised on the website. As for the smell of Asian food. I noticed during my stay that there is a strong food smell... However I alsoi noticed at least 15 Asian resteraunts within a 50 metre radius of the property. I have always found the staff to be pleasant even when I checked in at 1 AM. I find it amusing that one reviewer said "I have nothing against asian's... but they give asian's a bad name." So you are saying that the actions of three or four people reflect badley upon the entire race. Seriously if you are to take notice of these reviews have a think about the person who appears to have written it. If you are planning to stay at any hotel, check their official website first and see what you are getting. If you are not getting what is advertised on their website then you have grounds to complain about it.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo