“Hospital stay”

Apartments on Flemington
Ranked #125 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our son, who has suffered from debilitating epilepsy most of his life was given the opportunity to have brain surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital after earlier evaluation visits from North Queensland. My wife accompanied him as carer and my role was to find suitable accommodation for possibly 4 to 5 weeks.
I scoured websites for accommodation handy to RMH , hopefully close to a supermarket type foodstore and with kitchen and laundry facilities. It is difficult to choose accommodation from 3000 km. away but in the end, we settled on North Melbourne Serviced Apartments. I had read a number of client reviews, some stating the building was not new. Well, I can assure people that most hotels in Brisbane regarded a 5 or 6 star are not new either. One lady remarked how she held her nose the whole time she stayed there . Well, hello princess, ever worked in shearing sheds or cattle yards?
So, how did I make a decision from a long way away? In the end it was easy. Octavian assured me that my wife and son would be looked after and if they required help, they only had to ask. True to his word, he gave excellent assistance and behaved as a friend. There seem to be some complaints about the nightly tariff. I can only say that having travelled all of Queensland, including the far western country and the Northern Territory before retirement, you don’t judge satisfaction by the nightly room rate. When you are a long way away and concerned for your wife and son, you judge satisfaction by the decency of the accommodation manager and I was not disappointed.
Octavian doesn’t seem intent on assessing whether his accommodation is “how many stars”. I can only suggest that when the chips are down, whether your accommodation is 3, 4 or 5 stars is totally irrelevant if you are being looked after and you are close to loved ones. In my opinion, when the chips are down you get real, or at least we do and homely, friendly treatment is very important.
Thanks Octavian.

Room Tip: backside One Bedroom Apartment
There are newer reviews for Apartments on Flemington

Reviewed 21 April 2014

this place was fantastic, family friendly, very spacious, very clean, staff where very friendly, and great comminuication, even with a last minute booking every thing was awesome, will be visiting again :)

1  Thank Robyn913
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Initially booked for a week stay to coincide with my wife's operation in nearby Royal Melbourne. Due to complications we ended up staying for another two weeks - a total of three weeks all up.

The apartment is older style, clean and comfortable. We were lucky enough to get one at the rear of the building away from the street noise. Service from the staff was excellent - very helpful and friendly. Were very accommodating when we had to keep extending our stay as we did not know how long my wife was to be in hospital.

Very close to the hospital and tram outside to go into the CBD. Shops in North Melbourne a 10 minute walk,

1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The apartments are not flash by any means, dated but comfortable and the service is excellent. Do ask for an apartment at the back as the trams can be a little noisy. Perfect for a quick visit where most of what you need to do is in North Melbourne.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Milne3
Reviewed 28 March 2014

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place to stay. However for price, convenience and comfort it was excellent.
The bathroom and living areas were comfortable, the bedroom cosy but also comfortable.
Some of the furniture was dated but if you are only using the apartment for sleeping, who cares. We were five tram stops from the city, the cost was the same as a motel (but with cooking facilities) and the managers were extremely helpful, polite and offered on several occasions to carry cases, bags and shopping.
If we are having a lengthy stay in Melbourne again where we need cooking facilities we will most certainly choose this place again.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Gessf
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I've stayed in a lot of places and get out a lot. From sleeping onteh ground in the outback to very flash places overseas. I sat on this for a few days before reviewing. Unfortuantely this one is not favourable.

It would have been acceptable if priced accordingly but for the 2 weeks we were to be in Melb I was out of this motel in 6 nights.
We came here on very short notice for urgent heart surgery for our 6 week old baby. Extremely disappointed that we were told we would be charged full rate for the 2 days of the F1 GP. Considering we were not just overnighters I would expect this to be waived. This Motel gets plenty of business from the “sick children industry” and offers a reduced rate for the stays over 4 nights. We were subsidised by medicare for our accommodation so SHAME on you Nth Melb Appts for exploiting this and holding us to ransom when we had no choice. That’s business eh!
Absolutely not recommended for a holiday stay. It is run down, old and dingy. Location is pretty good for getting about but seriously if you plan to impress your favourite person, if you bring them here, they’ll bail on you before the morning and their number will be deleted from your phone and you might have “stingy tightass” keyed into the paintwork of your rented BMW
Have a read of the other reviews, look through the subjectiveness and I would say they are all pretty accurate in their own right.
As in other reviews, I am sure I could have had some of the below cons rectified but things like blood on sheets and TV not working is something a proactive host would know before the guest does.
3 star rating is rather generous. I’d classify it as premium road house. Nth Melb Appts does have a market sector and is not accurately priced and portrayed to reflect this. Convenience will not be a drawcard once the Hospital’s new patient family accommodation facility is built. Convenience is the main and only benefit of this motel in my opinion.

GOOD
• Convenience to hospitals ( Childrens,Womens & Melb) and transport (Tram out front)
• Basic and functional
• Fundamentally clean
• Good location
• Not much noise at night
• Security is good/ key access when reception unattended
• Hosts are quite helpful and friendly but is mostly lip service

NOT SO GOOD
• Bordering run down/ dingy old room
• TV wont operate ( dodgy remote buttons)
• Access to rooms is for the able bodied - stairs only
• Electrically unsafe extension cord under carpet
• Broken items not repaired/removed eg shower screen, soap dispenser
• Over priced for 3 star ( and failing to achieve 3 star) worth $80/night
• School on South side.. school bell, kids screaming during day, sport & maint on weekend. Not ok if you've been in the hospital late and hoping to rest a bit in the day
• Old blood spot stain on pillow case
• Daily room servicing limited to 5 minute cleaning out bins/replenish toilet paper
• Coffee/tea making but no milk on arrival. Really needed a cuppa when we arrived

Room Tip: Keep looking elsewhere - this business is not customer focussed. It's about making $$ and invest...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
NMSA, Manager at Apartments on Flemington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your candid feedback and to share your experience on Trip Advisor. We strive hard to provide good guest comfort and service to all of our guests and are disappointed when we fail to do so.

We have received many positive comments on our apartments, providing for spacious rooms interiors, cleanness and service. We are very committed to maintaining our good service and accommodation reputation. I apologize that you feel we did not meet your standard of service or accommodation quality as a 3 star property.

Our personal thanks for pointing some good benefits of our apartments : “GOOD
• Basic and functional
• Fundamentally clean
• Good location
• Not much noise at night
• Security is good/ key access when reception unattended
• Hosts are quite helpful and friendly but is mostly lip service”

We appreciate your specific feedback regarding your room standards and assure you that all aspects have been reviewed with our Housekeeping and Maintenance Standards, to prevent this isolated incident from ever repeating itself.

With respect to your comments regarding our rooms , please accept my sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused.

Again, thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. We are so appreciative of your observations, and again we remain most apologetic for not providing you with an experience of good quality.

Best wishes,

Octavian

Reviewed 7 March 2014

The Apartments are located in a strategic position for Hospital or city.
Octavian the manager and his staff are very helpful indeed.
The apartments as such are comfortable and clean, well equipped with all cooking facilities and utilities, really I cant say anything bad, just maybe a little cheaper would be nice, but we all would like more for less.
The down side of North Melbourne is the lack of supermarkets, there is an IGA nearby but it offers little range of products which are costly, if nothing else the Queen Victoria Markets are nearby which certainly cater for all.
Yes I would say I could recommend it.
The only suggestion I would have for future visitors is that if you require late entry or internet advise immediately of you will wait until the morning to receive access codes.

Thanks Octavian