“Clean and convenient to visit hospital”

Apartments on Flemington
Ranked #125 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Clean and convenient to visit hospital”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I booked last minute for my mother and I when my father was unexpectedly admitted to Melbourne Private Hospital after collapsing at Melbourne Airport, and needing a pacemaker urgently. I had not been to Melbourne for 25 years and did not know the area at all. It was such a relief to be able to find a place to stay just 10 minutes walk from the hospital, and it would be equally convenient to Royal Melbourne, Royal Womens, and Childrens hospitals which are all in a line along Flemington Road. Taxi from airport cost me $46 to hospital. It is a level 10 minute walk to the hotel along Flemington Road. Along the way is a IgA supermarket which is very handy for picking up some food for meals.

If you are looking for 5 star luxury, look elsewhere. But if you are looking for somewhere clean and convenient to stay close to the hospital, then this is it. The Manager Octavian is an absolute gem. He will look after you and is very helpful and understanding indeed. Our apartment had a queen bed in the bedroom , and a double bed in the living room. The bathroom is off the bedroom. There is a nice kitchen with microwave, stove, oven , fridge etc and all cooking utensils and crockery and cutlery. The building is old but everything was clean and well maintained. There are about 5 steps to get into the building and another 8-9 steps to get to the first floor where reception is. There is no lift in the building.

I would highly recommend North Melbourne serviced apartments if you need somewhere clean and convenient to the hospital to stay.

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room and our room near to reception was quiet.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aussiecruzer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I hesitated to write a review for this property as I am more used to staying in larger hotels. My husband was coming down to Melbourne and we needed somewhere cost effective for a 9 night stay.

We booked here because of the cooking facilities, location and price. I will say that the room was adequate, however the bed was extremely uncomfortable, and the toilet sometimes failed to fill properly. The noise from the trams didn't bother us. The area seemed safe, we went out numerous times walking at night without a problem or concern. Whilst we thought the three flights of stairs would be fine for us (at 30 years old) they really did become difficult after you come and go multiple times a day. If you're sensitive to smell, do not stay here. There are multiple automatic air fresheners in the stairwell and it really is overwhelming.

Octavian was very polite and helpful throughout the stay. For me, I probably wouldn't stay here again, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for others that I think it might suit.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gem H
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Our son, who has suffered from debilitating epilepsy most of his life was given the opportunity to have brain surgery at the Royal Melbourne Hospital after earlier evaluation visits from North Queensland. My wife accompanied him as carer and my role was to find suitable accommodation for possibly 4 to 5 weeks.
I scoured websites for accommodation handy to RMH , hopefully close to a supermarket type foodstore and with kitchen and laundry facilities. It is difficult to choose accommodation from 3000 km. away but in the end, we settled on North Melbourne Serviced Apartments. I had read a number of client reviews, some stating the building was not new. Well, I can assure people that most hotels in Brisbane regarded a 5 or 6 star are not new either. One lady remarked how she held her nose the whole time she stayed there . Well, hello princess, ever worked in shearing sheds or cattle yards?
So, how did I make a decision from a long way away? In the end it was easy. Octavian assured me that my wife and son would be looked after and if they required help, they only had to ask. True to his word, he gave excellent assistance and behaved as a friend. There seem to be some complaints about the nightly tariff. I can only say that having travelled all of Queensland, including the far western country and the Northern Territory before retirement, you don’t judge satisfaction by the nightly room rate. When you are a long way away and concerned for your wife and son, you judge satisfaction by the decency of the accommodation manager and I was not disappointed.
Octavian doesn’t seem intent on assessing whether his accommodation is “how many stars”. I can only suggest that when the chips are down, whether your accommodation is 3, 4 or 5 stars is totally irrelevant if you are being looked after and you are close to loved ones. In my opinion, when the chips are down you get real, or at least we do and homely, friendly treatment is very important.
Thanks Octavian.

Room Tip: backside One Bedroom Apartment
Traralgon, Australia
Reviewed 21 April 2014

this place was fantastic, family friendly, very spacious, very clean, staff where very friendly, and great comminuication, even with a last minute booking every thing was awesome, will be visiting again :)

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Robyn913
Deloraine, Australia
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Initially booked for a week stay to coincide with my wife's operation in nearby Royal Melbourne. Due to complications we ended up staying for another two weeks - a total of three weeks all up.

The apartment is older style, clean and comfortable. We were lucky enough to get one at the rear of the building away from the street noise. Service from the staff was excellent - very helpful and friendly. Were very accommodating when we had to keep extending our stay as we did not know how long my wife was to be in hospital.

Very close to the hospital and tram outside to go into the CBD. Shops in North Melbourne a 10 minute walk,

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Michael P
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The apartments are not flash by any means, dated but comfortable and the service is excellent. Do ask for an apartment at the back as the trams can be a little noisy. Perfect for a quick visit where most of what you need to do is in North Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Milne3
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 28 March 2014

If you are looking for luxury, this is not the place to stay. However for price, convenience and comfort it was excellent.
The bathroom and living areas were comfortable, the bedroom cosy but also comfortable.
Some of the furniture was dated but if you are only using the apartment for sleeping, who cares. We were five tram stops from the city, the cost was the same as a motel (but with cooking facilities) and the managers were extremely helpful, polite and offered on several occasions to carry cases, bags and shopping.
If we are having a lengthy stay in Melbourne again where we need cooking facilities we will most certainly choose this place again.

• Stayed March 2014