“Disappointed”

Empress of China
Ranked #2,710 of 4,053 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Springvale, Australia
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Today, my friends and I have decided to find a place to eat and we chose this place. It was a big mistake. First off, I ordered a meal and even pointed at the menu, however, they ended up giving the wrong food and argues that it is my fault for ordering it when I could clearly remember what I ordered. Secondly, I found lipstick stuck on one of my friends' drinking glasses which was pretty disgusting. Finally, I small pieces of vegetables in my small sauce bowl which was supposed to be completely empty as this gave the impression that these people don't clean wash their dishes at all. Never coming back.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Roy T

Yinnar, Australia
“An old favorite..”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Been to the Empress many times over the years the food is fine, the staff are typical and make mistakes but over all a handy place to eat in Chinatown, will return im sure...

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank JohnP3840
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
“Not really an Empress”
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

Chinese tea for one served in a thermos and thermos lid. No china cup. $75 for three, entree and three mains. The interesting thing was that when we paid by card, the bossy girl broke the Visa card. She sent a boy over to apologise and made no effort to give a discount or apologise herself. This place had a bizarre vibe and strange service. They need to pick up their game.

Visited September 2013
2 Thank CarolynAnneMac
Melbourne, Australia
“Never Disappoints!”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We have been to the Empress many times in previous years. During the football season we'd come into the city for the game but we'd have lunch/dinner here first. At night time, the staff who became very friendly with us would have our favourite table ready and a good bottle of wine waiting for us. Have just been back here on the weekend after not having been for quite a while. It's the same as ever! I love to see the customers come and go and what the local 'Chinese' are ordering. My favourite is the prawn and chicken dumplings. There's BIG serves so my husband and I usually share a main and rice between us after our entrees. The staff try so hard to get things just right for you, all you have to do is ask. Don't give me the 'snooty' high class restaurants. This reminds me of Asia itself.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank hickster122
geelong
“just a meal”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Had a meal here when visiting China town. Menu was extensive but food was nothing to rave about. Just average, restaurant looked like it could do with a good clean, wouldn't rush back here, wouldn't recommend it either.

• Visited August 2013