“A Little Bit of Carlton...”
Review of La Luna Bistro

La Luna Bistro
Ranked #94 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“A Little Bit of Carlton...”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We saved a rare child-free outing for La Luna, attracted by the promise of informal style and good food without pretentious mini serves hated by tradie husband. We weren't disappointed.
We normally don't bother with entree, but to honour our childfree status we decided to 'have it all'. He had bullboar sausages and I had the lamb and spinach pie. Both fine. I would have liked to have seen something more wet/salady on the entree menu (that didn't include seafood), but that's just me.
Main course - crispy crackling rolled pork for him and porterhouse for me. I had done my research and thought this is the place that should do a good steak and yes indeedy!! This is the first time I have had a steak cooked EXACTLY to my liking and the knife just slid through - tender, tasty and deeeeeeee-licious. Your choice of condiments to add to your plate. Accompanying duck fat-roasted kipflers and sauteed spinach - yessssssssssssssss.
Mr Tradie opted for coffee rather than dessert, which came along in attractive cup and saucer that was so appealing we had a chat about it on the way home. I had the creme brulee - just lovely - apart from the fact that dessert-avoiding husband ATE HALF OF IT!!!! Service was superb, friendly without being pesty and quick without giving you the feeling of being rushed through.
Finished off with a nostalgic wander through the streets of Carlton....lovely.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Australia
“Great Mother's Day Lunch”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Despite being very busy, the kitchen and wait staff did a great job. Perfectly cooked and presented food; welcoming and professional staff. We enjoyed the lunch and look forward to returning and trying more dishes on the menu.

Visited May 2013
“Yum!”
Reviewed 17 May 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic place, the service was fantastic and with good humour. The food was delish! I couldn't find a fault and it was a lovely Mother's Day!

Orange, Australia
“Love !”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Just loved it ! You must try it you will not be sorry - could leave it at that but really think I should share more ! After going through the menu and having trouble making up our minds we decided to have the 'Chefs Feast' - best thing we did ! At $85 per head we were taken on a Foodie dream ride and got to taste so many things from the devine home cured prosciutto to the salmon salad, the delish sausages with silky smooth mash, beef to die for and duck leg heaven - everything was perfection, the sauces so rich and oh my mouth is watering at the thought of this amazing meal, wished we lived in Melbourne ! Adrian was not cooking that night but eating out doors, so I took the opportunity to buy his latest book The Good Life and send it to be signed which he kindly did, would have loved to meet him and was hoping he might pop his head in to say Hi to everyone - after all he is the Rock God of Aussie cooking but no :( Make this a must visit restaurant when visiting Melbourne, it is relaxed and friendly.

Melbourne, Australia
“A Taste Of Things To Come”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The Dreaded One (because of her rainbow dreadlocks) and I popped into this lovely little bistro on a whim. It was mid afternoon, the sun was shining as autumn leaves were falling. Only a few tables were taken, the kitchen was still open and we chose a cosy table by the window in full sunshine.

We didn't want much, just wanted to share a burger, chips and a salad. And some oysters. And a bottle of wine. In reality, a modest order that was accepted graciously; occasionally you might get the feeling that the staff don't appreciate having to hang around for such a small order, but I didn't get that feeling here.

I am hit or miss with oysters. I usually try one and often that's all I'll have. These just-shucked Sydney Rock oysters came with a dressing of eschallot and balsamic vinaigrette, and the molluscs themselves were fresh, creamy, delicious. I had three without hesitation and could have eaten more. A perfect oyster experience.

We ordered a bottle of Spanish rose, Rosada D Silos (with a few other words attached) which worried me with its rich hue but which was as satisfying as the oysters. I still distrust Australian roses but by now should have complete faith in European/Mediterranean ones.

The burger arrived with a huge curly, house pickled cucumber skewered through the soft bun. Burgers... why is it so easy to find ordinary ones when it's so easy to get them right. This one, I'm pleased to say, was one of the good ones. Bloody good, in fact. The meat had been tweaked with additional flavours, the shape was more on the pattie side than the ball side shape preferred by so many burger places, and the thin rasher of (probably house cured) bacon gave the whole package another dimension.

The accompanying chips were medium cut, crispy on the edges and served with what appeared to be house made tomato relish. Oh and everything was served on what looked like unused paper menus, giving it all a relaxed, rustic feel.

The beetroot, horseradish and coriander salad held up its end of the meal admirably.

The waitress had a wonderfully down-to-earth air about her. She knew her stuff and was happy to have a chat, Saturday before mother's day apparently the calm before the storm. She gave credit to the chefs saying, "The are very clever. I don't like to tell them that too often though. You know what chefs are like."

When I introduced The Dreaded One as a chef, she blushed a litle and refined what she had said to, "Boy chefs... you know what I mean." And retreated, laughing.

I hadn't intended to write this review; it was just a burger, chips, salad and wine, and the rest of the menu really does look amazing. But it was such an all round pleasant experience that I couldn't help but write it; if they cared so much about our modest late afternoon whim, imagine how good the serious stuff is.

I'm looking forward to my next visit. Which will be very soon.