“An Affordable Neighborhood Italian Restaurant”
Review of Cafe Umago

Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Neighbourhood: Fitzroy
Reviewed 19 July 2017

Melbourne has so many Italian restaurants and almost all the one I have tried are at least "above average." Cafe Umago is just one of the Italian restaurants on this stretch of Brunswick Street where there may be more than 100 restaurants/bars/cafes. It is more of a neighborhood joint with most guests who live nearby (I was living just about one block away).

On my two visits, I ordered pasta with a glass of wine. While pomodoro (vegetable) pasta is good, the vegetarian lasagna is too creamy and heavy for me. Overall, a meal like this coast about 20 AU$, which is not expensive in Australian standard.

Reviewed 15 October 2016

Sneakers – we’ve been customers of Umago for 10 years now, and the food is great. I tend to order the gourmet Mexican pizza (now called Corn Chips), and a ham & cranberry gourmet pizza (that’s now been taken off the menu). I’ve also had their chicken parmas, the tandoori lamb pita, as well as some of their traditional pizzas. Find them to be really reasonably priced, especially for their location. They’re open late which is always a bonus.

Cassidy – I order the Smoked Salmon Pita every time, and love it. It’s such a big serving, the base is delicious. I like that they are open late and the turn around time for takeaways is generally very quick.

Cleanliness of the restaurant - 8/10

Cleanliness of plates/cutlery/glasses - 8/10

Cleanliness of the menus - 8/10

Service - 8/10

Wait time for food - average

Food overall – 8.5/10

Ambience - 8/10

Value for money - 9/10

Reviewed 19 August 2016

We visited for dinner with a very large group on a Tuesday night, and the cafe was a hit with everyone. The menu is extensive and well priced for the average punter. Staff were excellent dealing with the large group, and the sudden descent of silence over a table of 20 large teenage boys was testament to the arrival of a lot of very good food, all at once.
The adults on the next table enjoyed the range of food available. Comments were made on the generosity of serving of the lamb shanks dish, which was considered delicious. We particularly enjoyed our carbonara, as well. Thumbs up to the team at Café Umago!

Reviewed 18 August 2016 via mobile

We ended up here tired & hungry after attending a Uni Open Day. We order 3 chicken parmigiana which were brilliant. The potatoes served with them were great as was the salad.
The best thing was the price $16.90!

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

We stopped in here one night unexpectedly to escape one of Melbournes winter downpours.
We were pleasantly surprised.
The food was tasty and they had great wine menu.
Meals arrived within about 20 mins of ordering.
The restaurant was quite cold though and after the meals were served there was no more service at the table even to clean plates away.
Would eat here again. Very reasonably priced!