“Ordinary”
Review of Oaks on Lonsdale

Ranked #77 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Room looked ordinary on entry. There is very little room between the bed and the window, so each time i walked past, i would open the curtains. There is also a nail poking out rorm the carpet somewhere near the tiles, the sole of my foot has a puncture mark to show for it. Hint: wear slippers in the room.
Bed was very good, one of the best i have spelt in, howver it was madeup, short sheeted. You had to snuggle down to get any warmth.
A chair would be handy but there is nowhere to put it. daily servicing was good. Lifts were punctual, not much waiting although we were on the 28th floor.
Cafe downstairs next door was very good service.

Room Tip: Location is excellent. Short walk to Chinatown, trams, Stallictites greek restaurant.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerLonsdale, Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. By the sounds of things, it seems you had booked our Studio room which are not as spacious as our other apartments. We do have an option for guests to upgrade to the next room type (1 bedroom apartment) for an additional fee. Our Reception is manned 24 hours and can assist with any queries.

The description of our studio rooms are listed accordingly and everything is described as proposed.

We apologise for the inconvenience in regards to the bedding and the feedback has been passed to our Housekeeping department.

We hope to welcome you back again soon thus trying out another room type.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I had originally booked a studio apartment as I was travelling on my own for just 5 nights and planned to be out a lot. I figured I didn't need much room and I liked that it had a small kitchenette so that I could make a sandwich / nuke something if I wanted to.
I ended up changing this booking to a one bedroom apartment because I was informed that there wasn't a single chair (of any type) to sit on in the studio. This means that if you're going to eat at all in your studio, you're going to have to eat on your bed which in my opinion is kind of disgusting to encourage and you'd get a better room elsewhere for that price.

The one bedroom apartment was very nice and the pricing seems appropriate. The first night though was awful due to the noise from Lonsdale St (sirens, screaming, car horns and cars accelerating etc). It was also located next to a storage room that had people coming and going during the early evening.
I regularly take medication for insomnia but I knew I couldn't handle five nights like that so requested a quieter room. After the move I didn't have any further issues with the street noise... although somewhat coincidentally, the alarm clock in the new apartment had been set to go off at midnight on my first night in there - I won't tell you how long it took me to get back to sleep but I was not very happy...

All in all, the apartments themselves are fantastic but it's just a bit of a gamble on whether you are unlucky enough to be on the Lonsdale side and next to a storage room etc.
The customer service was fine and the people were polite but nothing more than that.
I found it's location in the city to be ideal and would possibly consider staying there again on my next trip - not sure..

Room Tip: If you're considering a studio, think carefully about this and see what else is out there for th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you on your feedback regarding your recent stay. It is great to hear that you were able to experience our 1 bedroom apartments. Please accept our apology for the alarm clock going off however, this has been passed our our Housekeeping department for thorough checking. Unfortunately, it is very difficult for us to be able to block out any street noise however, our Reception staff would have been happy to assist with a higher floor.

We hope to welcome you back again.

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I booked a standard room for four nights as I didn't like the look of the city view rooms with the wooden floors on the website photographs...I was given a room upon arrival and it looked nothing like the photographs and was small and derelict not to mention the old grandma smell! I went downstairs to complain and I am not usually a complainer nor am I pretentious but I am over not being able to trust online photographs when booking a hotel before travelling interstate...the man at the front desk told me I booked this room and I was looking at the wrong photos...he offered me another room much like the first but I have checked online again now and the photographs have confirmed I am in fact correct- this is not the room I booked online! I am extremely angry. If you stay here bring a scented candle and don't expect to Impress a date...

I have been told by a friend that the oaks on William street (newer one) is better because it is new.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys...lesson learnt

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank KristenAzz

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. It is displeasing to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have looked into your comments and spoken with the staff, you were changed to another room and we apologise for the error made.

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Great location, good views of the Catholic Cathedral, MCG and Flinders Park (we were on the 24th floor). We were travelling with another couple and the 2 bed roomed apartment was great, with 2 bathrooms and plenty of room. The apartment was looking a bit tired and there were a few maintenance issues.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
HotelManagerLonsdale, Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to hear you had a pleasant time with us. Please accept our apologies for the maintenance issues that occured during your stay, your feedback has been passed to Maintenance for a check.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

These apartments are well located ten minute walk into centre of town or a five minute walk to free city tram or parliament train station . Great little shop next door for snacks , beer etc . The two bedroom apartment was big and very stocked with everything you need including washer and dryer . Would recommend

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank waiash
HotelManagerLonsdale, Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback. It is great to hear you had an enjoyable stay in our apartments, your feedback has been passed on to the respective departments. We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Located a short stroll from Parliament station, tram stops plus handy to theatres, china town, beautiful parks and historical buildings. Stayed in a studio apartment for a couple of days due to a hot deal price when booked a few months out. These studios are definitely only suitable for very short stays due to limited storage and no seating or table. We were on the 28th floor overlooking Parliament House which compensated for the small studio. We then moved into a one bedroom apartment for 3 nights which was spacious and so much more comfortable. The cost to upgrade was worth it. Stayed on the 24th floor so was nice and quiet. Enjoyed the location, price and would recommend an apartment on high floors.

Room Tip: Apartment for long stays on high floors.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelManagerLonsdale, Manager at Oaks on Lonsdale, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. It is great to read such great feedback and am very pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay in our 1 bedroom apartment. Please contact us the next time you stay as there are different views from the building.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

The location of Oaks on Lonsdale is perfect for theatre goers - close to Princess Theatre, Her Majesty's Theatre and the Comedy Theatre where I went along to the Rocky Horror Show. It's also only a couple of minutes walk away from Parliament Station where you can catch trains or trams including the free city circle tram.

I stayed in a one bedroom unit which had a separate kitchen/living area, plus laundry facilities. My room was on the 25th floor and north/west corner of the building which meant I had a great view towards Carlton Gardens and beyond and being high I wasn't disturbed by the street noise.

Plenty of great eating options nearby, but my pick was Guy Grossi's restaurants around the corner in Bourke Street - the Cellar Bar for a fantastic breakfast or coffee, or Florentino Upstairs for a luxurious dining experience.

Room Tip: The upper floors are quieter, and the north west corner rooms have views over Carlton Gardens.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. It is always pleasing to hear that you had a great stay and the location was great.

We hope you enjoyed the show and hope to welcome you back again soon.