“disappointed”
Review of Oaks on Lonsdale

Oaks on Lonsdale
Ranked #76 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed 10 February 2009

My girlfriend was the one who booked the hotel for our trip to Melbourne for Wicked. She knows that I prefer to stay in a reasonably well hotel rather than a backpacker. After reading the review on this website, she decided to book this 'lovely' hotel.

We arrived late at night ~2300. We got the keys and went up to our room. They gave us the room which shared the main door with the door next to us, in another word, weird. The room was completely different to the photo that we saw on the internet. We went to bed and I realised that the 'Queen size bed' was actually combined of two single beds. I always have back problem and obviously that was not mentioned in the description when my girlfriend made the booking. Anyway, that was late at night and we decided to put up with it that night.

The next morning we talked to the manager and requested to have the bed changed and he was so reluctant to change the mattress and eventually it was changed after I insisted.

The room was tidy but very small. No view. service was very bad. well, I will not recommand this hotel to any of my friend.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 February 2009

Spent 6 nights here and loved it.

The appartment was large, very clean with a nice balcony. The location in fantastic - we walked everywhere.

On a 3 week holiday, having a washer/dryer was great. The kitchen was fully equiped but we ate out so didn't really use it.

The reception staff were a bit stern the few times that we needed to speak to them. Probably not the place to go if you want reception to book/recommend stuff.

Totally agree with the review re internet. It was ridiculously expensive. Even though I had a laptop with me, I went to the internet cafe down the road.

Would be sure to stay here if I returned to Melbourne.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LondonDj
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Stayed here with my family for three days and I agree with all the positive things said about Oaks on Lonsdale in the other reviews on this site.
I do have one issue that the property needs to address urgently... The pricing of broadband access. It is priced outragously high and the "packages" are very inflexible. In 2009 free or minimum cheap broadband access is a must like running water and electricity for any contemporary property.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 5 February 2009

We stayed at Oaks on Lonsdale on a last minute whim to escape the Melbourne heat. We booked directly with the hotel and found the price to be comparable to those listed on wotif.
Our one bedroom apartment on the 22nd floor was clean, very spacious, well appointed and tastefully decorated. The hotel location was excellent; an easy walk to Chinatown, shopping and other city sights. Staff were friendly and quickly accommodated our requests for parking ($20p/n) and a late checkout.
We were very pleased with our stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 January 2009

We have just spent two nights at the Oaks on Lonsdale, a quiet, modern, moderately spacious apartment hotel in the city. The pleasant furnishings are new and the kitchen fairly well stocked with cooking utensils etc. The spacious bathroom had good lighting for applying make-up - a problem in many hotels! However, a shower cap would have been appreciated!

On arrival in the one-bedroom apartment we were allocated, we found the bathroom door handle dangling from the door making it impossible to open and close the door. On reporting this we were immediately given another apartment.

It wasn't until later in the evening that we discovered the TV in the bedroom was broken. However, there was a flat screen unit in the living area, so we were able to watch the tennis - if not in bed!

The biggest unwanted surprise came at dinner time when I opened the oven to find a half eaten pizza sitting on the shelf!

We reported this, as well as the problem with the TV set, and were given a verbal apology.

Car parking, at $20 per night, is conveniently situated beside the building with a lift into the hotel.

Due to maintenance problems and previous guest's food still in the oven, we will not return to the Oaks on Lonsdale.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank murralinga
Reviewed 25 January 2009

Booked this hotel as an extension to our Melbourne visit as most were booked out. Glad we did as we enjoyed the brief stay.

The one-bedroom suite was enormous - lounge, dining and fully-equipped kitchen including a dishwasher. There is also a washer/dryer as well in the bathroom (concealed well.)

Best part was the bed. It was incredibly comfortable. If only I can take it back home with me!

Great location too - near Parliament Building, Bourke Street Mall and easy walk to Federation Square.

• Stayed: January 2009
Reviewed 8 January 2009

I stayed at the Oaks on Lonsdale for two days. It was a one bedroom apartment, but really big with a bedroom, living room, bathroom and kitchen. Everything was really clean and the staff were really helpful. It was also very quite

It is really central to - about an 8 minute walk from Bourke Street -a big shopping district.

So well worth staying here. When I stayed the Euro to the Aus$ was really good value, so the hotel was too!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled solo