“Duck was yummmmm”

Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Duck was yummmmm”
Reviewed 2 December 2011

My daughter ordered the Mai Tai duck, I ordered baby chicken with cinnamon and pork ribs. Duck was AMAAAAZING and dunking the yummy rotti (their spelling) in the sauce was great. Chicken was very dry and weird flavour and the ribs were all rib no meat. Lovey service though and I'd definitely go back for the duck.

Visited November 2011

Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent Food and Service”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Excellent place to eat, the food was exceptional for the price and the service could not have been better.

• Visited November 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Nothing exceptional here”
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We grabbed a quick dinner here on the way to a movie. It wasn't the kind of place we would normally go but it was Sat night - so impossible to eat at any of our normal haunts without a booking - and pouring with rain.

I had a craving for Pad Thai and thought that any Thai restaurant would be able to turn out this simple dish well. Not so apparently! what was delivered was certainly a tasty and edible noodle dish but didn't resemble any Pad Thai I had previously experienced. My partner had a cinnamon chicken dish which he enjoyed although it was nothing special.

Service was quick and efficient however and we made it to the movie on time and with full stomachs.

My son tells me that cocktails here during happy hour are far better than the food!

• Visited July 2011
Melbourne, Australia
“Never, ever again”
Reviewed 7 October 2010

I work in the CBD and was informed by a work mate that Mai Tai had re-opened. We had a chuckle discussing how bad a reputation the place used to have, figured that with the new ownership it'd be changed days - not the case!!!

Me and my girlfriend ordered a couple of cocktails, $16 a pop didn't seem too bad for city centre 'cocktail bar'. I was pretty shocked that my mojito was served to me in a glass which had a chip round the rim; this was only the third night the bar had been open. Does this place pick up second hand glasses??? Horrible thought.

Worse still, the beer I later ordered was served to me inclusive of a pubic hair. I highlighted this to what I assumed to be the manager, 'these things happen' apparently. To Mai tai's credit, I was offered a replacement. I asked for a cash refund though was told the bar was informed that the bar hadn't yet made enough profit!

Do not waste your time, your cash or risk your health by visiting Mai Tai.

Melbourne
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I've never been so dissapointed, read on to find out why.”
Reviewed 4 October 2010

I was more excited than anyone when I heard through the grapevine that Melbourne's popular cocktail bar Mai-Tai was under new management. Gone are the cheesy umbrellas, bright cyan drinks and bamboo furnishings, now replaced with trendy light fittings, retro artwork. But alas, I was more disappointed than anyone once I experienced what it is actually like to be a customer there - read on.

There are certain golden rules that one must follow when it comes to opening up a bar, or any business for that matter. Mai-Tai systematically breaks all these rules without regard and leaves you wondering 'What's the point of this place?'. The big problem Mai-Tai has is that it is a cocktail bar, nightclub and restaurant all in one and it catastrophically fails in all three of these avenues. If your planning on visiting Mai-Tai after a hard days work hoping to unwind - don't bother. You will be interrupted by screaming Asian chefs from the nearby kitchen, seemingly stressed out, overworked and underpaid. This certainly tells, as the quality of the food leaves a lot to be desired, but we will come to that later. A more pressing concern I had on arrival was a large rodent that was scuttling from the kitchen making its way behind the bar. I mentioned this politely to a member of the bar team but all I got was a shrug of the shoulders and a nervous laugh - nobody cared.

Which brings me to the members of staff. If I order a drink of my choosing then I expect that drink - a fairly reasonable expectation don't you think? Well, the staff at Mai-Tai don't think so. Churning out poor quality, unattractive and incomplete drinks seems to be part of the Mai-Tai experience. On the first instance, I ordered a Mojito and was told that because it wasn't on the menu I couldn't have it, despite the fact I could see all the ingredients in front of the bar tenders face. Terrible.

'This looks like dodgy Asian food' was the first thing that came into my mind as I was served up a seafood hotpot with fried rice - I was not wrong. You would think that being located a stones throw away from China town would have a positive influence on the cuisine - it's not.Think of all the aspects you love about Asian food (the colour, spices, variety and the aroma), now take these away, add burnt rice, undercooked fish, tasteless frozen vegetables and oily sauce and you can begin to imagine what I was served up. I wasn't the only one who was disappointed, I was watching other customers dishes and their facial expressions as they tried to swallow such tripe. Everyone looked dejected with a mix of resentment, bitterness and anger. I'm sure you would get better food in prisons. What I was served up was criminal - $30 for a main was sheer robbery.

A trip to the Mai-Tai toilets is an experience to say the least. Oddly, they don't have their own toilets - they share with a block of flats which is basically a public toilet with no male/female separation. On my way in to the toilets, I was alarmed to notice a metal box used to dispose of heroin needles, I tried to ignore this and my attention was immediately drawn to the pungent smell and despicable mess. Human waste and urine was scattered at seemingly random places around the venue and I was further dumbfounded when I realized that the kitchen staff and bar staff utilize the same toilets. The very same staff that handled my food and prepared my drink a matter of minutes before. My stomach churned and felt sick - there was no excuse for this, I pondered. So if you are stupid enough to visit Mai-Tai, I suggest you wear a nappy as this would be a lot more comfortable for you. Perhaps the Mai-Tai bar staff should garnish their cocktails with a nappy as they would look a lot more appealing to drink whilst saving the customer the sheer embarrassment of visiting 'their' toilets.

My time at Mai-Tai came to a dramatic end when I witnessed a violent outbreak between two customers and a member of the management team. It all happened so fast that I didn't manage to catch the complete story but I did view the Mai-Tai manager use excessive and brute force against two African pensioners. They were both subsequently ejected from the premises. If only I had been so lucky - I was still waiting for my cocktail to be made. And let me tell you, it wasn't worth the wait and deffinatley didn't justify the hefty $25 price tag. The manner in which the cocktail was made baffled me. It was made so slowly and the cocktail waitress looked like she had just been sentenced to death. The thing is, because Mai-Tai only serve up their own signature cocktails, the customers don't know what they are meant to taste like so can't complain. Their signature list serves as a function to cover up inadequacies in the bar staffs knowledge and lack of professional training.

For someone who has been waiting for Mai-Tai to reopen for such a long time this review has been painful for me to write. To all those who are still inclined to visit do not under any circumstances waste your time, money or your life. The only people who should visit are exterminators and the food standards agency. As I said, do not waste your life - Mai-Tai is just a skid-mark in the lavatory of life.

1 Thank blindratt