“Great food at a fair price.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating
Neighbourhood: Chinatown
Adelaide, Australia
“Great food at a fair price.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Ate here while on business in Melbourne recently and the food was very good with (in my opinion) overly large servings. I had the Thai Fish Cakes which were great followed by the Rare Beef Salad which was delicious but so large I didn't even get close to eating it all. Whilst the food is very reasonably priced the drinks are quite expensive so that is something to be wary of.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Melbourne
“Terrible experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

I went there with a voucher that was a present. The voucher stated duck and $40 drinks of ANY kind, and ANY desert. We got neither of those.
The food was barely ok, nothing special. The soup was served almost cold. The chicken satay was nice and flavorsome, but the fried rice was below ordinary.
We were limited what we can order to drink, but I was ok with selecting mojitos and my partner ordered 2 beers - Singha and Vietnamese light beer. Can you guess how much they charged for the beer? $9 each, absolutely outrageous, that the price you'd pay for Belgian beers, not Asian beers (50c and $1 if bought locally).
When we nearly finished the meal I asked the waitress about the promised duck and why we couldn't order other drinks. She immediately called a manager as I believe that's the common complaint. The manager told us that apparently the voucher was sold incorrectly and the description was changed by Scoopon, and if we had complaints we needed to take them with Scoopon. Well, I would have left it with that, but at the next table there was a young couple who came to celebrate the girl's birthday. They didn't complain when they were not allowed to choose a certain cocktail from the menu, neither they complained about the duck or anything else, but when their dessert came (which was vanilla ice-cream with no topping), they asked for something else instead. Their voucher (same as ours) said any dessert from the menu, how hard would it be for the manager to swap the dessert?! He wouldn't hear any of that, was abrupt and borderline rude to them. His arrogant nonchalant attitude was the last straw for me!
All in all - the service exceptionally poor, food mediocre at best, cheap environment, excruciatingly expensive drinks. There is absolutely nothing positive about MaiTai. Never again, there are so many great places in the vicinity, with unpretentious honest food and service for the fraction of the price!!!

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank NowCallAustraliaHome
Waikato
“Good food, good prices”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

An excellent menu with thai and vietnamese food, very good tastes, and very reasonably priced

Visited February 2012
1 Thank R_and_D_NZ
australia
“Perfect food... (but you need to ignore the toilets)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Myself and 2 sons ate here in mid-January. Maybe it has had another change of owner since the other reviews, but we found the food just beautiful. (NB: the signage advertises it as Vietnamese & Thai food) .. Fresh food, large serves, fast service. Delicious in every sense. One weird thing: when i ordered a gin & tonic, they said they don't have that drink !!??!! (I mean, how ordinary is THAT??!! and its advertised as a bar !!??!) . They even brought out the drinks menu, to show me how it was not listed there. Very odd.

I did not use the toilets, but my sons did, and both commented that they were very "dodgy" in terms of both cleanliness and location (?shared and in an alleyway?).

So maybe it is a good thing i didn't see the toilets, but the food really was stunning. Note to owners: clean up your act (literally!) and this could be an awesome spot.

• Visited January 2012
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Duck was yummmmm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

My daughter ordered the Mai Tai duck, I ordered baby chicken with cinnamon and pork ribs. Duck was AMAAAAZING and dunking the yummy rotti (their spelling) in the sauce was great. Chicken was very dry and weird flavour and the ribs were all rib no meat. Lovey service though and I'd definitely go back for the duck.

Visited November 2011