“A Dream for a Naturalist Wildlife and a Reef to boot.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Broome
Port Smith Caravan Park
Ranked #19 of 28 Speciality Lodging in Broome
Reviewed 17 June 2014

To begin with I camped, tented, at this location. How can I say this, it was more than I imagined. The owner's family was very nice, but more than just that. I was on a quest in Australia to experience as much wildlife as possible. The birdlife at the park was remarkable, there were even Tawny Frogmouths in the park that the pointed out to me. Several species of kangaroo/wallaby and several frog species too, and a monitor or two. Close by is a mangrove with mudskippers and then the topper, a walkable reef. Getting to the reef isn't easy though, you need a 'real' 4 wheel drive (I had an X trail rental, not a good choice, scratched the Dickens out of it and almost got stuck too).
The owners are really first rate, lovely helpful people. This place is a jewel, it's simple living, but a jewel. I sure wish I didn't live half a world away or you can bet your bottom dollar they would see a lot more of me.
Y

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank Douglas S

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We only stayed one night here mainly to check out for a future visit. We would have loved to stay a week at least! A lovely spot with friendly staff, friendly kangaroos, very clean amenities..as good as you would find at any camping facility. Nice shaded grassy camping spots with camp kitchens, fish cleaning area boat and car washing area, even a small golf course!
Apparently it gets very busy from May to September, so pre booking is advisable.
Only problem were sandflies...which is the issue with this part of Australia...so Rid up!

Room Tip: Pre book in the busy season. No WiFi as yet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Erich E
Reviewed 31 December 2013

Stayed with family 3 girls. Coming back from the Kimberly. Amazing showers. Big lots with shade. Amazing beaches and inlet hours of fun for kids on tide changed. Kangaroos to pay and see. Free pancakes on Sunday. Listen to lady in shop for advice on beeches. Shop had the basics and simple groceries.

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Jimbowa70
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

The caravan Park is pleasant and full of wildlife without live entertainment and it's own little golf course. The beautiful clear lagoon laps at a beach use nearly exclusively by park residents and endless miles of coastal beaches are there for exploration. The sand flats are a Wonderland as the tide recedes and the fishing is excellent. The sand flies that blight the whole top end need to be handled with repellent and antihistamines. But we extended our two nights to 10.

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank Janne Leddin H
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Where to start this is a great off the track caravan park my old 1992 Windsor handled the 23 km dirt road in, yep a bit bumpy but go slow, we ended up staying a week but when we left wish we had stayed another. The parks owners and workers a one of a kind nothing is to hard or out of the way for them. Thursday night fish and chips and a great band with crab raffles only $5 and this goes to the RFDS this is amazing. Every second day or so they take you down to the beach and boat you across to the island for a gold coin donation going to RFDS and pick u up 4 hours later with a tour of where to fish where to catch the mud crab and some info on the area... I have never felt like part of a caravan community like I have here. we are only 35 and some time feel the oldies looking at us like we are to young to do the grey nomad trip at our age but this is not so here. The other guest are great very helpful, a 4x4 trip out to the cliffs is amazing and one of the best sun sets I have seen. Showers are amazing and spotlessly clean in a tropical setting, the shop very very reasonable prices and a bit of everything u could need even fresh fruit and veg and ofcourse a tap connector about the 5th one I have lost :-)' I can only say I wish every caravan park took a leaf out of these guys book and did one quarter the effort of this park. A week cost us $240 under great big shady trees. Great job guys we will be back.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Jayz_24a
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

23km of very badly corrugated, red dusty road but well worth the drive. The caravan park is quiet, relaxing and friendly. Beautiful setting. Sites big and roomy with plenty of shade. Has been one of my favourite stops and could have stayed here for weeks. Offshore fishing great! Tides run in very quickly-careful you don't get caught out.

• Stayed: July 2013
6  Thank Ellewh
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This nice caravan park is off the main road but well worth driving to. We found the staff friendly and the amenities very good. We only stayed one night and didn't have any problems with midges, so maybe we were lucky. Also, we were there when it wasn't very busy, so the campground was very quiet.

Not so close to the beach but if you are into fishing, great place to stay at.

Room Tip: Check out the sites with the trees. The sun gets hot quick so the sites that offer shade will be nic...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple