“I disagree with the hype”
Review of 1907 Restaurant

1907 Restaurant
Ranked #99 of 1,424 Restaurants in Perth
Price range: US$10 - US$76
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: 1907 offers classic fine dining cuisine and beverages with a contemporary, globally influenced twist, enriching Perth’s cultural evolution. Housed in a 100 year old rag factory in the hub of Perth’s CBD, this historic building creates a truly unforgettable and unique dining and bar experience. Head Chef Paul Medica and his dedicated team turn their passion for the finer things into a sophisticated dining affair.​
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Lovely atmosphere and comfortable setting. However I did not think the service was great. Meals were okay not fantastic. I ordered the steak 180 gram, it was too dry and chewy. The red wine jus wasn't very tasty. Not in a hurry to go back

Reviewed 4 September 2013

If you are looking for somewhere to go for a special occasion or just want to splurge on a nice night out, 1907 is brilliant!! I took my parents to dinner there and it was a great night! We dined from the a la carte menu- they brought out fresh bread and palate cleansers before our main meals which were delicious and big enough for an entrée. Each of us ate from the grill menu- all of our meat choices were cooked to perfection and the sides (baby vegetables, yorkshire pudding, jus and thyme/rosemary crumbs) were delicious too. We also ordered sides of hand cut frites and the most creamy yummy paremsan mash (the plate was pretty much licked clean!). I thought the serves would be small and not very filling, but they were perfect and we were all so incredibly full!! So of course we had to share a dessert between us- the apple tart tatin which was also incredible! Then to top it off they gave us a couple of 'doggie' bags which had some chocolate truffles, brioche and museli in it! How cute and a great idea to top the night off! In terms of price, yes it is expensive, but it is fine dining and the extras make it just that much more special and worth it!

3  Thank Penny B
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The restaurant is well hidden down a side lane in Queen Street. The first steps lead up to the restaurant while the steps just past these lead down to the bar. The bar is cosy and serves a wonderful array of cocktails.
The restaurant itself consists of a number of booths plus a number of individual tables. All nicely done. Service is very efficient but not over the top. A degustation menu is available but we went for the a la carte and all four of us had three courses. The decision-making was difficult because everything sounded so wonderful. Eventually we ordered and while we were waiting out came complementary breads with oil, salts, olives and French butter. As we were tucking into that we were then presented with a board with amazing nibbles on toothpicks - a baby carrot, a vanilla flavoured turnip, and a small sqaure of bloody mary jelly. Very tasty.
All four of us enjoyed all three courses. My pumpkin and truffle pannacotta for entree was beautifully presented (as were all dishes on the night) and tasted lovely. The venison main was cooked to perfection which would have been difficult given the thickness - nice and plump. And there were enough other bits and pieces on the plate (baby steamed vegetables, Yorkshire pudding etc) to obviate the need for sides. My dessert - a deconstructed apple tarte tartin - was the best dessert I've had for a long time. Pieces of warm caramelised apple, two triangles of warm pastry, tonka bean icecream and an apple schnapps custard plus some other crumbs and foams. My mouth is watering as I type this!
The food isn't cheap but it's top quality. We had an Entertainment book card which got us a discount of $50 per couple and we ended up paying just under $80 per couple (including a number of glasses of wine). To finish off, the two women at the table were each given a 'showbag' containing a small scone, a small pastry, two chocolates and a container of very tasty muesli - for breakfast the next day to help them remember 1907. Wow.
My wife enjoyed the experience so much she now wants to go there for her birthday!

2  Thank gfsc5
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We were very happy with our experience dining here. We ordered the degustation with matching wines. The food was very good, one of the best in Perth and the wines were matched perfectly.

3  Thank David_from_Perth_13
Reviewed 23 July 2013

My partner and I took my Mum to 1907 for her 60th birthday recently. We have had the pleasure of doing the full degustation with matched wines at 1907 last year and it was divine, and thought that a petit degustation might be on the cards as we didn't want to be REALLY full like last time.

Still, the petit degustation is a great feed, 8 courses of carefully prepared and presented food that delights the senses. There's a bunch of foods you may never have tried and some old favourites done really well. The cherry dessert was a highlight, and the yabbie in spinach soup was really tasty. While the individual dishes might not seem like much and could be scoffed in a few big mouthfuls, they have really taken the time to prepare each element and if you savour the taste, texture and smell of each element then I think you'll enjoy it more.

This is not a meal for those who want to pay twenty bucks for a steak and feel really full. It's for those that delight in the different, refined and refreshing tastes that are put on show by the Chefs.

It's not all about the food though, the wait staff had personality and humour, and the little touches like admitting when they didn't know something (they're only human!), finding out extra information for us when asked about the region, and bringing my Mum's dessert out with a candle and singing happy birthday.

This is my favourite restaurant for degustation in Perth so far, though I'm yet to try Opus and Friends.

This place is hard to find but it's worth discovering with friends!

2  Thank Stretchie204