“Intimate, friendly and well situated”
Review of Pension Of Perth

Pension Of Perth
Ranked #7 of 15 Perth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The Pension of Perth was an affordable and comfortable home away from home, situated next to beautiful Hyde Park and providing easy access to Northbridge and the Perth city centre. Steve and Hoon were friendly, accommodating and helpful hosts, breakfast was enjoyable and the front room I had in the large house converted to a bed and breakfast was spacious and private—with polished boards and a sense of relaxed privacy. The bed was comfortable and the shower hot (the bathroom is smallish but everything in it worked well). Arriving back there every evening and entering the cool house after busy summer days was a real relief.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 September 2012

I stayed at Pension of Perth with Steve and Hoon for 3 days in September, and I have not met such wonderful and accomodating hosts, in such a lovely home and great location. The Pension is located approx 15 mins stroll from the Northern side of Perth city - great for the nightlife at Northbridge or the main Arts/State Library precincts. Both Steve and Hoon had brilliant breakfasts and the bedrooms had charm and character. I really appreciate also their very warm personal reception, something that is not always evident in B+B's. This is the first ever review I've given for accommodation and am an extensive traveller...so Pension of Perth must be very good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 July 2012

It was our first visit to Perth and we stayed here for 5 nights. This is a beautiful Victorian house overlooking Hyde Park and our room was large and well furnished, with TV, chairs and coffee table. The English style bathroom in the corner however was quite small and unable to accommodate two at once. The owners were away on holiday, but Felicity was warm and welcoming and helpful. Breakfast was a bit disappointing - only a boiled egg was offered as hot food, but we had a wide choice of continental breakfast.
The location of Pension Perth is its big draw card -we could walk into the city, or easier still walk down to Russell Square and catch the free Blue CAT bus into the CBD. There were plenty of eateries nearby and a lovely patisserie just around the corner.
At the end of a hard day's sightseeing, we were able to sit in comfort on the balcony overlooking the park, with a drink and catch up with the rest of the world with use of free Wi-Fi.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I was in Perth for a conference. I usually just stay at one of the conference hotels, which are expensive and soul-less, and this was a much better option. The front room (Brittany, I think) was beautifully furnished. I found the little bathroom alcove quite adequate - it could only accommodate one person at a time, but being on my own, that was ok. I didn't notice any noise (which I've seen others comment on), but I was usually up early. The free wifi was good (although I think expected these days). I was quite satisfied with the breakfasts. True, the eggs were only boiled, but there were plenty of crumpets, toast etc. I agree with others that some better quality coffee wouldn't go astray. Very importantly, the owners, Steve and Hoon, are both very friendly (without being overbearing) and helpful. I would stay here again if I returned.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank David O
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Very satisfying accommodation in a good area of Perth, close to Beaufort Street (10-15 minute walk) where there are a lot of restaurants and cafes and opposite the picturesque Hyde Park. My room was spacious and beautifully furnished with antique pieces. Bed was comfortable and sheets nice and clean. Television set was old, too small and there is not even free to air digital TV, which I think it's something the owners have to address. Also, the bed and floor make a lot of noise as soon as you turn around in your bed or walk a bit, so bear that in mind if you plan to come here on a romantic holiday... Bathroom clean and warm in a minute thanks to heat lamp (you'll love this early in the morning in the winter months). I would have liked a bigger wash basin as I had to turn sideways to wash my face but otherwise no complaints here. Breakfast was satisfactory: fresh bread and packaged jam or marmalade, fresh fruit, a croissant. If you like eggs they offer a boiled one every morning. I would have liked the choice to have mine cooked to my liking; if this is too much of a hassle I don't think they should even bother with it. A nice touch was the newspaper being offered by Steve every morning. If you are a coffee lover you'll want to get out and have your fix at a cafe' though, they offer percolated coffee or Nescafe'. Enough said. ;)
In conclusion I will come back here because, except for a couple of issues, I was happy with everything else. I think they offer a very good standard of accommodation in a city where normally you have to spend silly amounts of money for a bed. I also liked the way Steve looked after me from the moment I arrived to the moment I left, attentive but not too invading of my privacy.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank PipMas
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Great price for close to central Perth. We did not have a vehicle, so walked to restaurants, pubs on Beaufort (which we thought were very expensive). Walked downtown, no problem. Room price included good continental breakfast, perfect for us. Friendly owners Steve and Hoon. Clean, large and comfortable room. Hyde Park across the road. Would recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The location opposite Hyde Park and walking to restaurants and the City is ideal.
My room and bath were large and well appointed. However, the towels were thin and grey as was the washcloth which was not replaced after 3 days. More attention to details needed here. After traveling across the Nullabor I was looking forward to a "sumptuous breakfast" which was advertised on their website and in their brochures. These are obviously outdated. The brochure and website also feature a back yard swimming pool which somehow had vanished! The Pension B&B mainly caters to business travelers who are up and out early and happy to manage on do it yourself toast,with packaged jams, dried cereals, yogurt, hard boiled cold eggs and a very meager sliced fruit plate. At least some warm muffins, bagels, hot soft boiled eggs would have worked as a "sumptous breakfast". Not good value for money for a single person. I have stayed in B&B's all over the world and also am a specialist in selling and marketing them. The verandah out front as furniture needed updating and were in need of repair. A little more attention to these details would make anyone's stay more memorable! Steve, the owner was most helpful and sociable. By the way - a great Vietnamese retaurant around the corner!! Ask Steve.....

Room Tip: Out of the three guest rooms, the larger bedroom next to the dining room on the left is the best. Th...