“Good Ramen” 4 of 5 bubbles

Nao Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #67 of 1,642 Restaurants in Perth
Cuisines: Japanese, Asian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Perth CBD
Singapore, Singapore
“Good Ramen”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I was eyeing Nao Japanese Restaurant for quite some time as I stayed next to it in Miss Maud's, I didn't try it out until recently. Arrived on a hot afternoon and was ushered to a table after waiting in queue for around 20 minutes by the friendly staff and we started ordering.

The noodles came in three types - your average plain egg noodles, spinach-infused noodles (+$0.50) and red chili-infused noodles ($0.50) - and there were 4 soup bases to choose from - Shoyu (醬油), Shio (塩), Spicy (辛い; +$1) and Miso (味噌). I ordered the large bowl of Spicy soup base with red chili-infused ramen.

Being accustomed to spicy food in a multi-cultural society like Singapore, I thought the spiciness was very acceptable - may not turn out similar for some people though. The soup base was lovely with a slight kick. Noodles were springy, although I would say the taste didn't differ much from the original egg noodles.

What I really liked was the fact that, unlike many other ramen stalls, the soup was NOT chock full of MSG that would make the soup taste very artificial, neither would it make you very dehydrated afterwards. The noodles did not bloat my stomach up as well.

At the price of around $13.50, I thought it was a rather affordable meal as well.

• Visited November 2013

Perth, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the Wait”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

If you are looking for traditional Japanese ramen this is the place to go, it is worth the wait, I prefer to have the spicy soup with the spinach noodles and the staff are traditional Japanese and all noodles are made on site

Visited October 2013
Gotham city
“Good place !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Excellent fried chicken and rice for only $5... You can have teriyaki for the same price as well. Well known restaurant.. It's always busy!

Visited September 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
“Portion size is inconsistent, please do check your orders twice...but possibly best ramen available in Perth”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

I really like the ramen. In my opinion, it's currently best ramen available in Perth, but unfortunately portion size is inconsistent, and also please do recheck your order twice because the waitress/waiter very often than not misheard/misunderstand your orders, hence the 3 stars.

The place is quite small and cramped, but not overly uncomfortable. The soup base is very yummy. I always go with the spicy soup, but I know the normal basic miso is also nice. Try the ramen with pork ribs. It's the best! BUt they do finish up quite early, so come early! Their takoyaki is to die for! Biggest takoyaki I've ever seen in Perth.

Three choices of noodles make it interesting even though they pretty much taste the same, just diff colours. Service is always good, but please as I said, check your order (both dine in and take away). It happened to me where I ordered takeaway ramen with pork ribs, got home, the pork ribs were nowhere to be seen. Then once I dined there and asked for extra sweet corn, but no corn was added and I had to ask for it again. Remember, you still get charged for extras.

My main problem is the portion size. It appears very inconsistent, one day they give you decent portion, but other time they cut down on it. And when I said portion, I mean the chashu, seafood etc that they seem to cut down sometimes, which I'm sure it must be due to lack of supply. And yet they charge us for normal price, which I really think is a BIG RIP OFF!

Once when we dined there, my bro ordered the large sized ramen and they only gave him ONE single thinly sliced chashu.. THAT'S IT!!! Seriously?!
We didn't check it before we ate because hey, we trusted them and never had any problem before, but now we know nothing is perfect!
When he found out, it was too late. He already ate halfway, hard to argue or prove it.
That also happened to me when I ordered take away. They only gave me one thinly sliced chashu, when just last week (I ordered same thing) I had 3 chashu. So go figure!

So big note to all of you guys:

- Check your order and make sure the waiter/waitress understand you
- Check your food before you eat it (guess its harder for take away). A normal size ramen should at least come with 3 chashus (remember they are thinly sliced) If they only give you one slice, you better ask them cos they sure make big bucks out of it by jst giving one slice
- Come early to avoid long queues and also so that you can try the pork ribs

Despite of all the negative things I said, I will still go to this place. Cos as I said, nothing is perfect. Besides, I guess there's no other choice for good ramen in Perth...for now :-)

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dublin, Ireland
“RAMEN!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Ramen here was good! Queue alone speaks for itself. Really close to the Criterion Hotel on Hay Street which was convenient for me and my partner. More seating behind but was a cold day so we sat inside!

Visited July 2013