“Needs a refurb!”

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney
“Needs a refurb!”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I stayed for 2 nights on business and will not be returning. The hotel is not in a great location, it's opposite a large park and the Swan River which is great for a walk but that's it. No decent restaurants in walking distance, a couple of cafes are a few mins walk away. On arrival I was unable to check in as my room wasn't ready and the lobby is very small and was very noisy so I had to quickly find a cafe where I could set up my laptop as I had a business phone conference. Once I was able to check into my room I realized the air con didn't work and had to ask to change rooms. I ordered room service that night and it was very ordinary and with no restaurants in walking distance I was relieved to be dining out with a colleague the following night.
I asked several times on check in about my Priority club membership being added to my booking and on check out when I asked again I was told it had not been added. This delayed my departure for an early morning flight so I was less than impressed. 2 months later I still haven't received my Priority club points and will have to follow up yet again! Very very poor service!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JpoSydney
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Dear Jpo Sydney

Thank you for commenting on your stay at Crowne Plaza Perth in February. Needless to say we were disappointed to learn of the difficulties you experienced as a guest on this occasion and apologise for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you.

We would be grateful if you can call our Operations Manger, Sergey on 08 9270 4219 so we can follow up on these issues in more detail.

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
Perth (Coogee)
Reviewed 18 April 2013

Thought we where staying at Casino leading hotel but booked it wrongly much to my disappointment. The service when we got there was poor but when we checked out the girl on front counter was very chatty and smiling.
Rooms very clean, pool area a little small but nice heps of restaurants to choose from as its in the same complex as the Casino.
Would stay again

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, 21 April 2013
Dear OxysPerth,

We try our best to make a point of difference with our site map, location reference and branding to mitigate any confussion between the Crown Complex Hotels and Crowne Plaza Perth.

No doubt arriving here and having no casino would have been a disappointment, nonetheless thank you for sharing your observatuons with us and commenting on the thoughtful interaction with our desk colleages on departure.

Hopefully we will see you again.

Warm regards.
Leighton Buzzard
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We stayed here for one night, as we had an early start to get to the airport. The room was spacious and mostly clean but the large glass topped table had several marks on it that could have been polished away. In room dining was good and plentiful. We didn't try the breakfast as we had to leave so early. The airport was about 30 minutes away on an easy to follow route so that aspect worked well. Our only gripe was the cost of the valet parking, AUD27 for someone to move the car less than 50 yards. Seems excessive. Then, when the car was reversed out of the parking bay for us, the valet did not tell us there was a one way system round the back of the hotel to get onto the road. We worked it out soon enough, of course, but it seemed ridiculous that we had to keep another vehicle waiting while we loaded our cases in the car before we could get out of his way. Minor stuff really. All other staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Dera Jasher0

The cost of parking is a cost recovery only. Unfortunately in Perth we are required to pay a city tax on parking bays at the Hotel, in addition we also pay for offsite parking nearby at the Hyatt garage, these costs and the additional labour costs associated with parking services we feel should be a user pays levy rather than tacked on across all room rates. We appreciate your comments and can understand why you may feel this cost is unnecessary, agian we review our operations periodically and make corrections where we can to minimise these objections.

Thank you for your obseravtions and chosing to stay with us over night.

Warm rergards.
Singapore
Reviewed 12 April 2013

This was a nice hotel with good service. My bags were retrieved from the taxi before I even finished paying, and they were in the room before I finished checking in. Very good service.

The room appeared to be adequately clean as well and decent size.

The location of the hotel is nice for viewing the Swan river and biking around, which the hotel will hire out for free. The location is not as convenient for many restaurants or the CBD, it is on the outskirts of the "City" but not in a particular suburb.

My biggest issue with this property, and primarily why I couldn't recommend, aside from the location is the internet access service. You can read on their website that they charge ≈28AUD for internet, that seems a bit high, but not too unreasonable. When I get into the hotel I find out that the charge is for 24 hours only, which I expected, and can be used among multiple devices, which was a nice surprise, BUT it is only good for 1GB of data! The data limit is very concerning, this isn't a mobile phone. I thought okay I'll be careful, but after about two hours, most of which I was on a bike around the city I find out that my data limit has been exceeded. I do not believe that I used that amount of data, but there is no point in arguing as how can it be proven either way. There is free data in the lobby but it is limited to 10mb a day.

These data limits make this hotel completely unacceptable for anyone trying to do any work and in today's times it is unreasonable for a leisure traveler as well. The combination of high costs and tight limits make it the same as the hotel not offering internet access. I actually waited to write this review until I got to my next hotel in Sydney to ensure that the Crowne Plaza stance about "Fair Usage" is not an Australian wide thing, as that was what the hotel kept talking about that using too much data was unfair. But no, my hotel in Sydney, no issues, no limits, no charge.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Dear Jasper1,

We appreciate your comments on the Internet facility you experienced as a recent guest at Crowne Plaza Perth. We are reviewing our Internet service and as of July this year as an IHG Rewards Club member Internet will be free at all of our Hotel's. The basic package however will be free to 1GB which in most cases is adequate for business use, unless you are downloading movies or high end grahics this has been under the use of most guests, noneheless we will continue to monitor this limit for the future and make changes as necessary.

Warm regards
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Hotel is in a very good location in front of the public park area down on the lakeside with great views of the swan river I stayed there recently end of March 2013 for two nights incoming prior to driving down to Margret River and one night prior to leaving to be close to airport due to late incoming and early outgoing flights from Perth International airport. The hotel is more of a short stay business type hotel but is excellent for the purpose I used for. Breakfast is buffet style which is average but quite expensive at $35 for hot breakfast and $25 for continental BF only. They have a 30m swimming lap pool and average gym. best you try to get a swan river view. Rooms are basic but beds are comfortable and towels are good, take your own tooth brush and tooth paste , other bath soaps and shampoo are provided. Clean overall and worth the money , good to get to major HWY's and main roads to go North and South. Airport only 28 mins away , staff are friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get River view room with a small balcony great views of Swan River. If you drive there you ca...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, 9 April 2013
Dear wizardj007

Being a 'Wizard' we are sure you had a magical time in Margaret River, the wines and the scenery are breathtaking and we are delighted you found time to discover the area for yourself. Thank you for commenting on your stay at Crowne Plaza Perth, we are delighted you found your experience rewarding.

Best wishes
Perth
Reviewed 24 March 2013

2nd Stay Our 9th Wedding anniversary so we decided to upgrade to a River view room.

The Pros

The views of the Swan River are amazing. Sitting on the balcony watching the sunset over the river is a real treat.
Location is very good
We love the pool area
Breakfast is fantastic one of the best we have had anywhere!
Breakfast staff very attentive & helpfull
The Valet Parking Lady is AWESOME and deserves a payrise. She is a keeper and a credit to Crowne!

The Cons

the rooms on the river side of the hotel are far smaller. The bathroom is tiny in comparison and the shower over the bath is something we simply hate - they are dangerous.

This time round our room was not ready on arrival which is always dissapointing! We were offered a drink in the lobby and told we would be advised when our room was ready. While we waited the same guy from receiption came and adivsed others around us thier rooms were ready. We waited and waited and unfortunately he either went on break or finished his shift. An hour and a half later we were the last ones left in the lobby so we went to reception and found out our room had been ready for some time but no one came to tell us. VERY FRUSTRATING

The lobby and bar area was a mess, scruffily dressed waiters with shirts half tucked in, boxers hanging out the top of the pants, food all over the floor, empty cups and bottles all over the show. 2-3 male bar staff behind the bar were not busy at all however, not 1 of them ventured away from the bar or made any attempt to clean up. When we arrived an empty Crown Larger bottle sat right in the middle of the bar and stayed there for the entire hour and a half we waited for our room. It finally took a young lady from the restaurant area to come downstairs and start cleaning up for one of the boys to make a dismal attempted at cleaning up. (He walked over pushed a few chairs in and walked straight back behind the bar)?

A few areas need to be addressed by managment however all in all this is a good hotel. If you are looking for a good location with fantastic views of the Swan River the Crowne will not dissapoint.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Dear Raven567,

We are delighted you choose to stay at Crowne Plaza Perth and to celebarte the occasion of your Wedding anniversary with us.

Thank you for commenting on our colleague who assisted with Valet parking, we will recognise her contribution to your enjoyment at this time. Yes the breakfast is a real pleasure and our kitchen brigade contribute with pride to the presentation and diversity of the breakfast product.

The river view rooms are in the original building envelope which limit the bathrooms to the existing structure though we do have plans to take out the baths in these rooms over time to make more space and provide a 'monsoon' shower experience.

We apologise for the lapse in advising when your room was ready, this should not have been overlooked and we appreciate your comments around the bar service , this provides us an opportunity to address these areas of our operations more closely.

Thank you and we look forward to welcoming you agian.

Kind regards
Mardella, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

After a faltering start, our room wasn't ready an hour after we could have checked in, the service was great! Drinks were offered while we waited for our room to be ready. Although slightly aged decor and the bathroom/spa was really showing its age, the room was clean and tidy. The best feature of this hotel is its Restaurant. "Gusti" had amazing dinner service and the outlook onto Langley Park was excellent. After breakfast a walk along the Swan was great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Clivep471, Business Development Director at Crowne Plaza Perth, responded to this review, 25 March 2013
Dear Als04,

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and apologise for the delay in not having your room ready at Check in . As much as we try sometimes with late departures and a full house we cannot always have all rooms back before 2.00 PM and we thank you for your understanding at this time.

We work hard to deliver a great expereince in 'Gusti' and it is rewarding when recognised, thankyou for sharing.

We look forward to welcomiong you back again sometime soon.

Kindest