“Reasonably priced for Perth city”
Review of The Melbourne

The Melbourne
Ranked #58 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Brisbane, Australia
“Reasonably priced for Perth city”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed in The Melbourne on a weekend as in Perth it is MUCH cheaper to stay at a hotel on the weekend compared with during the week (so the opposite to everywhere else I've been). We had a pretty good experience and the location is very handy. We even walked to Kings Park, although it's up a steep hill so was a definite cardio workout.
The hotel has a cafe, pub and restaurant and we found both the pub and cafe to be very family friendly. The food is also pretty delicious.
The hotel is very old and has had a refurbishment and does have a lot of character, although the walls in the hallways, especially the corners were chipped, dented and missing paint, so the maintenance could be a bit better. The rooms are a decent size (we stayed in a deluxe) but my husband and I thought the rooms should have been renovated more in keeping with the old world charm of the hotel. Instead all the cupboards and desks are in that cheap fake wood veneer. I also found housekeeping a bit more relaxed then I like, our room service dishes from Friday were left on a table in the hallway until Sunday afternoon.
All in all it was a pretty good hotel and we would probably stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 16 September 2012

This old pub, which has had an excellent makeover, has a very nice dining area and worthy of a visit for a quick meal if in Perth. Located within the CBD the hotel caters to the usual pub crowd especially when there is a sporting event happening. The adjacent restaurant serves the usual round of pub food, which is efficiently served by pleasant staff, and of fair quality. The prices are good for its location and likewise the quality and amount of food. Nothing too exciting but good, safe, and enjoyable dining.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Stayed here on two occasions while I was in Perth. The location was fantastic, right smack in the city, with easy access to all the shopping and restaurants.

Apart from that, the facade of the building has an old school charm to it, making it a unique landmark.

The rooms are a little old, but clean and comfortable for a good night's sleep.

Staff are friendly and always ready to help! This is a major plus point especially for foreigners who are not familiar with the area.

Did I also mention that the bar serves the best burgers?

Am definitely staying there again when I go to Perth!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I have stayed in the Melbourne many times for work and continue to come back to this place as it is great!
The rooms are large, comfy and have great facilities.
The price of the rooms can be a bit high at peak times due to its central location in the city, but it is worth it.
The restaurant serves brilliant dinner meals and the cafe serves great breakfasts!

Worth staying at!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Central and good food. But accomodation just average. Happy to stay night or two but not longer.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul D
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked this hotel as it was near the convention centre and easy walking distance to all the functions I had to attend. However I would not stay there ever again as I did not have a good experience at all due to the fact I had no window (none of the standard rooms have one) and the worst neighbours ever! First of all my room gave on to a conference room which was being set up every morning and light would shine through the only small bit of glass I had in my room. AND my neighbour who was there 4 out of the 5 nights I stayed at the hotel was snoring so much, I could hear his alarm clock at 6.15am every morning and he had a bad cough. It felt like he was actually staying in my room the noise was that bad! I had to call reception to ask them when he was checking out as it was horrible! I also had to call reception every morning to find out the weather and decide on what to wear since I could not see outside...
The staff however were all very friendly and helpful and breakfast was served fast at the M cafe but the fact I had no window and had to put the fan on to get some air circulating in my room just made me claustrophobic and grumpy so not great when you have to network and attend a conference for 5 days!

Room Tip: Upgrade to get a window!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Albinoosh

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The only reason we stayed here was because of the price.Avoid this hotel if you could.I was told by a friend she had a worse experience someplace else.Having stayed here for more than a week with an infant was horrible enough.The LIFT, if you can help it,take the stairs! Do not even attempt breakfast here, take it anywhere else but here because service for even a cup of coffee takes ages.The room "looks" clean but it smells of stale smoke.This hotel needs to be redone from the ground up, in my opinion.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family