“Lovely Night Away”

Ranked #58 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Perth
“Lovely Night Away”
Reviewed 21 February 2010

We booked a City Escape deal directly with the hotel. It is $139 including breakfast for 2($21.50ea), plus half price parking ($15) and the best room available. We were lucky and were upgraded on the day to an apartment room which has a separate lounge with large flatscreen tv, plus flatscreen tv in bedroom, microwave and toaster, shower only and lovely decore. For this price we were very happy. The windows weren't very sound proof but being a weekend there wasn't any early morning traffic to worry about. The hotel has charm with a lovely staircase, and original woodlined working lift. Breakfast was tasty but there was only one person to make coffees, take orders and serve meals which affected the service we received. 11am checkout on weekends was nice and a lovely girl on the front desk.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Korean first
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 26 January 2010

Our room was great but then they did upgarde us to the bridal suite!
I am led to believe that only a few rooms have been modernised and the others are a bit shabby. Great open balcony and great location.

Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 January 2010

My girlfriend and I booked a room through The Melbourne's internet site on the day we arrived in Perth. Got a good deal on their weekend rates.
Room was beautiful, very large and well decorated with a large balcony running all the way around the hotel outside with access. The building is 100+ years old with an interesting history and you feel part of something very special especially with the huge new office blocks near by.
The hotel is located just off the centre of Perth but very close to all the bars on Murray St and within easy reach of taxi's and train to the suburbs.
Overnight parking was provided next door in an old warehouse - secure but a bit odd. $15 a night (I think rate normally $30).
Breakfast was included in the room rate and was very good, with a wide selection of cooked breakfasts a la carte.
The hotel has an ajoining bar downstairs that I know from previous visits can get loud and lively but we were not disturbed by any noise at all.

We enjoyed our stay so much we rebooked when we were returning through Perth the following weekend.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
perth
Reviewed 15 January 2010

Had paid for valet parking. Car was damaged whilst under their care and they claimed no responsibility. The manager treated us appalling now we have to prove that it was damaged in there. Would never go back there again. beware if you are going, make sure you take note of what if any damage on your car before you had your keys over.
A lovely night turned sour

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank adz1

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Victoria
Reviewed 10 November 2009

For the tariff we payed we considered we got value for our money, compared to other prices of hotels, the room as very clean, breakfast was good, good choices and generous servings. Some minor maintenance issues, the door knob into the room was faulty and we advised reception on our first day of a four day stay but it was not fixed. There was a hole in the wall, paint lifting above shower. A balcony room so only doors to open, not a window. Was a lot of noise very early Monday morning from cleaning of courtyard, paths across the road. Valet parking very expensive so found a parking spot on the street. Consider this a 3 three and half star hotel. Good location

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
West Australia
Reviewed 27 September 2009

I only stayed one night here as a treat after being in the city for a conference (and staying at a pretty average hotel for work). It was an absolute delight. I got a great pakage deal online with breakfast, best available room and 1/2 price parking. OK, I had to park my car myself in some old hire car "hanger" but once inside I was pleasantly surprised. I used to club at this building 20 years ago and haven't step foot inside since then, but it was beautifully restored. Reception staff was friendly and helpful, there's a lift too which many older buldings don't have, room was spacious and clean, bathroom was roomy, bed comfy, TV ok (CRT not a newer LCD) but free movies even better. My mum and I had dinner in the restaurant which was excellent and the free breakfast was also excellent quality. There is a bit of noise at night from functions etc but it was fairly quiet. Light sleepers would do well to pack some earplugs like I always do. I don't know I would stay on a Friday as they have live music which woule be hard to sleep though, but I will definitely stay again. I loved it.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
Melbourne
Reviewed 11 August 2009

After reading some of the reviews here I was apprehensive booking The Melbourne Hotel but it was the best of the affordable ones we could find in Perth. The hotel was lovely, our room was very clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. The daily cleaners were very discrete and efficient. The location was great - a 15 minute walk to King's Park or Northbridge, and only 10 minutes to the CBD. Oh and the breakfast at The Melbourne Cafe was absolutely delicious! Really good food although some of the room service food wasn't great. The room does get very noisy, particularly as the bar (which is directly under the rooms) has a live band on Friday nights. There are also function rooms within the hotel that are noisy from inside the guest rooms. Still, I highly recommend this place and would definitely choose it again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple