“Hard not to be unhappy”

Ranked #47 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Hard not to be unhappy”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Stayed 3 nights last week on business and apart from the friendly staff there was not much to be happy about.

Having just stayed at the hotel in Bunbury on the Monday night, which was part of the same group, excellent and cheaper, this was a disappointment.

The room was small, dated and looked straight out onto a cement wall.

The floors creaked which meant that you and your fellow stayers could easily keep track of who was moving around ;-)

There was no light over the desk so you could not work, and their definition of 'Satellite TV' is the Disney Channel, Discovery and a couple of Movie Channels. You are advised in the room compendium that you can view Fox Sports in the pub next door. They don't seem to understand that this is not a fantastic alternative to being able to watch it and/or Fox News etc in your room and at $11+ per pint of cider it felt overpriced.

There was no hot breakfast on offer and the parking was a joke.

I was informed prior to booking that parking was available @ $30 per day but was not informed at the time that this parking is not at the hotel but in the Coles carpark in the complex next door!

I was also not advised that this carpark does not open till 6:30am which meant that catching the 5:55am back to Sydney was a no go. Happily I noticed but I had to park half a K away. Not a massive big deal I know but wandering to your car in the early hours in the drizzle was not my idea of fun.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Stayed overnight on a return trip through Perth as our preferred place was booked.

Pro's: Reasonably cheap. VERY central location. Late check in - which we needed. Bed was comfortable. Small balcony with a fantastic view of the city, it's been ages since I've had a nice view when staying in Perth.

Cons: No ensuite room available when we were there (booked. Public holiday AND a metal concert nearby) Rooms are VERY SMALL. No parking - and this is a big one as there is limited street parking or a fairly expensive carpark nearby. Not too bad if you are traveling without a vehicle.

It was alright, perhaps the ensuite rooms are better. It's a good place to go if, perhaps, you are just staying overnight or have had a bit too much to drink in Perth and need somewhere to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Stayed four nights. Only a one-off tenner to use the wifi for the 4 days (I cld not get the City free wifi)
Room was small but modern furnishings, bathroom and good size flatscreen.
Excellent location - right by the shopping mall and short walk a few blocks down the hill to ferries or the other way to train station.
It's in a couple of old buildings and they've retained a number of period features.
One glitch in my room though was that I couldnt use my UK adapters in the powerpoints by the desk due to fixed furniture in the way - so had to use bench on top of fridge and access kettle point!
Staff were friendly and allowed me a late checkout.
Prices in Perth ARE high - I live in London and Perth food and drink prices are easily 33% more, and it's more expensive than the other big oz cities. With few hotels in Perth the prices are high - so if you choose to visit Perth over other parts of oz then live with that (I'm biased since I've relatives in Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide!).
The pub next door can get noisy but my room was far enough away. But being Perth the pub probably closes before midnight like everything else! Instead I had the noise of some service fans.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I stayed here for two nights recently with my family. It's not a bad place. Lovely and central and good for transport and Perth attractions. Staff are very pleasant and helpful. Downside is it is difficult to park first and get your parking permit as there isn't anywhere to park outside. A taxi was parked in the 5 minute zone and the other downside it doesn't have its own restaurant and they recommend Boheme which is attached for brekky - we tried it but avoid at all costs it was basic, cheap and nasty. (Interestingly, dinner the night before at the Boheme was pretty good) We went to the Ibis Hotel up the road which do a great breakfast.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Canberra
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Stayed here on an overnight work trip. The room was tiny, old and in need of repair. The walls had such good sound insulation I had the privilege of hearing the man in the room next door cough up phlegm all night. I watched some TV although it's fixed position meant it was viewed from a 45deg angle. I guess I could have watched it straight on but would mean standing against the back of the entrance door! The shower repair work was the worst job I have ever seen. Hopefully I wont get tinea, I was packing light and didnt have shower footwear. One of my pillows had a stain, love it! There was also a nasty message about minibar use and another about smoking in the room. The value for money here is terrible. The only consoling factor for me is that the cost did not come out of my wallet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GPandCP

Travellers are raving about these Perth hotels

Augusta
Reviewed 23 April 2013

I have stayed here when in Perth for many years.
This place is always very clean. The rooms are refreshed everyday.
Sure prices may be high and increasing-a Perth WA dilemma.
If it was refurbed, prices would be unaffordable. The location for
access to Perth City is second to none. I stay in the rooms without
bathrooms and toilet. These are up the hall and are good and clean.
Get the room at the end of the corridor-224

Room Tip: I stay in the rooms withoutbathrooms and toilet. These are up the hall and are good and clean. Get...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I must point out that I’m writing this review as an American on his first trip to Australia. The first thing I will mention is that I don’t think this hotel was worth the $140.00AUD per night I paid for my week’s visit at the end of November 2012 / beginning of December 2012. In the U.S., $140.00 a night will get you a lot more – depending on the city. I found the room to be both spartan and depressing. The furniture was pedestrian at best and there was no décor to speak of in the room. I could never get the temperature set properly; it was either too cold or too warm to be comfortable all the time. No instructions were provided with the television set to inform guests that you have to use the channel button to turn the appliance on instead of (logically) the power on button—and the maintenance man who was sent to my room to show me how to work the television remote was rude. ; furthermore, the laminated list of channels on the desk in the room does not correspond with the actual channel offerings by the network service provider; for someone who does not live in Australia, this was most frustrating. The Internet connection offered in the room (at a WHOPPING $14.00AUD for only 6 hours of service) was as slow as dial-up (if not slower) and all pages would fail to load properly; for the amount of money charged – which I was willing to pay – guests should be able to have flawless, unproblematic access to the Internet. The elevators weren’t working on the property when I was there; this was particularly annoying given that my room was on the top floor and at the very back of the premises. And, once, I inadvertently spilled my cereal and milk on my bed – yet the housekeeping staff failed to change the bedding – that was unacceptable and downright gross. The plusses? 1) This hotel is centrally located in downtown Perth; I liked being able to walk to everywhere I needed to get to while I was there; shopping and food outlets were plentiful in the immediate area; and 2) the front desk staff were very nice and helpful – at one point, the weather took a turn for the worse and they were kind enough to loan me an umbrella so that I didn’t have to purchase one to stay dry in the unexpected rain. Again, my expectations may well have been colored by American hotel standards that, overall, this property did not equal.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business