“What a dump”

Ranked #18 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Melbourne, Australia
“What a dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

I cannot really put into words my disappointment with this hotel - and with Diamond status I think it is worth taking notice of.

My room was very poor, holes in the walls and flaking paint outside. What are you guys thinking - the mining boom will last forever and you can provide what can be best described as an airport hotel? And if you are really serious why did I trip and fall on the poorly placed carpet - lucky I'm not living in the US!!!

I would be happy to show the shocking blanket that replaced the doña - it is disgusting!

As for the bar I waited 90 minutes for a plate of cured meat??? What the???

Get real, you need to lift your game. I will never stay in an outdated hotel that takes it's guest for granted!

4 Thank Grant T
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Grant T

Thank you very much for your review.

I am of course very disappointed to hear you were unhappy with your stay. Please be assured we take notice of all guest feedback and appreciate the opportunity to put matters right.

To that end, I would be grateful if you could contact me direct on david.constantine@hilton.com or by telephone on 08 9215 2000.

In the meantime, please accept my most sincere apologies for the issues that marred your visit. I look forward to hearing from you so I may personally address your concerns.

David Constantine

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, South Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2013

The hotel staff that I encountered were excellent, I have to compliment them on their service. There was also some complimentary chocolates and water on arrival - a nice touch. The staff in the restaurant and the food for breakfast (only meal I ate here) were both very good. The room itself was very small, this wasn't a huge issue as I was at a conference but it was still a surprise. The first thing I always check on entering a hotel room (due to being tall) is the shower head and location, I cannot believe hotels still have fixed shower heads on the wall such that someone of slightly more than average height (let alone me, at only 6'4") has to be a contortionist in order to wet and wash their hair. The adjustable arm type shower heads are a relatively small investment for the additonal comfort afforded to those who are slightly taller than 5'. On the plus side the shower heated up quickly and the pressure was fine. The mini bar fridge had a significant amount of water in the bottom of it, seemed the freezer bit was leaking - I dunno? The bed was comfortable enough and had a good mattress topper but the quilt only (no top sheet) was probably less than I was expecting, where's the top sheet gone? Also the air-conditioner was very noisy when it cut in which meant having it on overnight was a bit of a problem and being on the 4th floor I was still surprised at how much street and other outside noise was noticeable inside, except when the air con cut in.
Overall it's not bad and if the room rate was more reasonable I'd probably have given it a higher rating but when you are paying "top dollar" for a hotel room you expect a certain standard and with a few exceptions the Parmelia Hilton did not meet my expectation.

Dear Crui5erFJ

Very glad to hear you had a comfortable stay, however your comments concerning the shower head and air conditioner are noted and I’m very sorry for any inconvenience caused. Please let us know when you next make a booking and we will do our utmost to accommodate your preferences.

Thank you for making special mention of the service you received from all the Team! It’s great to learn you were so well looked after.

The Hotel offers a range of different room styles and configurations, and we can also allocate a recently refreshed guest room. Four levels have been completed to date, replacing all furniture and providing a more contemporary feel. The remainder of floors are due to be completed in the near year. Feedback about the fresh new presentation has been very positive.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Busselton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here on a Friday night as we had a function at the hotel. From the time of our arrival to departure the service was excellent and some of the best I have had in Perth for a long time. Our room was a Delux King and and had all the amenities you would expect for the price we paid for it. The hotel is in a great location close to the convention centre and the Perth CBD.

Pros
Excellent service
Great location
Nice downstairs bar area

Cons
Very soft beds
Our room was on the second floor was right above a function room which we could hear - all finished by 12pm though so not a huge issue but if you want to have an early night perhaps ask for a higher room.

Overall we had a nice stay and would definitely considere returning next time we need somewhere to stay in Perth.

Room Tip: Try and get a room higher in the building to avoid noise from functions on Friday and Saturday night
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Bailinh

Thank you very much for your review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the Parmelia Hilton and especially appreciated the excellent service.

The Adelphi Grill underwent a major refurbishment earlier in the year and it is really good to receive your positive feedback concerning the bar area of the restaurant.

Please let us know when you are planning a return and we will note your preference for a higher floor and firmer mattress.

Thank you again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

This hotel does the job well. Perth doesn't have an abundance of amazing hotels so this hotel is good without blowing your mind away. Rooms are old but functional. The staff are pleasant without being exceptional. The restaurant serves up a good breakfast. And the location is central to all that the city has to offer. So if you come expecting a nice stay then you wont be disappointed. For mine, it offers the best value for money in Perth and it is reliable and consistent. I have stayed here many times and I have not been disappointed. Some of the staff at the front desk need to be taken to smile school but I guess that happens anywhere!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear Zhangram

Great to hear you are a regular guest in the Hotel and that you find our service and facilities consistently good.

We are undertaking a program of improvements in the Hotel including replacement of all furniture in guest rooms to provide a more contemporary feel and we hope you will have a chance to experience these improvements. Four levels have been completed to date with the remainder due for refit in the new year.

Look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

Picked up a last minute booking to make our night out at a ball extra special. Really nice hotel, beautiful rooms absolutely no complaints from me. Didn't get a chance to use the pool/spa/gym facilities and we had meals planned elsewhere so I can't comment on the restaurant or bar. It looked nice though!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Daniel P

Thank you very much for your great review.

Wonderful to hear every aspect of your stay was so enjoyable. We hope you will be back soon for another visit and perhaps enjoy a relaxing swim in the outdoor heated swimming pool and a meal in the Adelphi Grill

Thank you again.

Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

We booked this hotel for a recent conference. We booked in for 4 nights. Upon entering our experience was faultless with lovely lady at front desk. Informed us we had been "upgraded" to a newly renovated room. How exciting! Alighting from the lift on the 6th floor my husband and I were pretty happy and excited....you can usually judge what the room is going to be like with what the carpet or flooring looks like when you alight from the lift. The carpet when we alighted from the lift was lovely and we were both excited to see our room......DISAPPOINTED......The excitement stopped here. The renovation clearly had not gone into the room................
The price for this room was outrageous. As far as we could tell the only renovated room feature was the soft close toilet seat and the tiles on the floor in the bathroom...maybe the bed head and the lamps.......The tap pressure in the basin was woeful and my husband found the tap underneath and turned the pressure up. The shower in the bath with one set of taps and push or pull system to either have it as a shower or a bath sort of says it all regarding the age of the room.....The room was dark.....so very dark...... The very small window did not have double glazing and the outside noise was only bearable at night when we both wore earplugs. The lights were not bright inside the room. The bed was hard. And no top sheet just a doona.....sorry but when we stay in a hotel we like a top sheet..........I actually felt itchy each night in the bed....the detergent? My husband was not itchy but I was every night. To tell you the truth there was not one endearing feature of the room. I had to get out every day and stay out as it was too depressing inside the room. My husband was at a conference so he was not in the room at all during the day. Air conditioner was SO NOISY!!!!!!!! COULD NOT SLEEP WITH IT ON.....The restaurant was ok....not what we had expected. Very casual food. No choice in something a bit nicer than normal. If you stay in a hotel you expect to have a few different food options....yes casual but something extra as well. The staff were very good ...... which was the only redeeming feature...............So in summing up..........Totally disappointed in what we got for the ludicrous amount of money we paid for. Will never go back.

4 Thank FizzyV
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, 20 November 2013
Dear FizzyV

Thank you very much for your review.

I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your stay. We have received very positive feedback concerning our renovated guest rooms and our newly refurbished Adelphi Grill restaurant and are naturally very sorry we did not meet your expectations. Please accept my sincere apologies.

If you could kindly contact me at david.constantine@hilton.com or by telephone on 08 9215 2000, I would appreciate an opportunity to address your concerns personally.

In the meantime, thank you again for your valuable feedback. We hope to have a chance to change your impression in the future.

Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2013

Booked to stay in the Parmelia Hilton for 5 nights for a medical conference during Oct/Nov 2013. On the pre-booking instructions I requested for two things - room on the highest floor and secondly with views. I also advised the approximate arrival time of 12pm. I and my colleague arrived at 12pm on the dot. She was able to book into her room straight away without having advised of time of arrival, yet I was told my room was not ready despite already giving the approximate time of arrival at the hotel. Had to wait 30 minutes in the lobby until a room was ready for me. Was then given a room on 2nd floor - with views of a brick wall. My colleague also got given a room on the 2nd floor with views of a brick wall and when she requested to be moved, was given a room on the 8th floor. My question is if a room was already available on a higher floor, why was I not given that room yet had to wait for a room to be ready on the 2nd floor!! Counter staff also did not advise me of the free wifi instructions included in the accommodation package until I later had to ring up and ask about this.

At some point, both of the toilet rolls were used up, and we even left the toilet roll holder open to remind the cleaner to give us new ones yet when we returned - they remained still empty and none at all were provided!! We had to call up housekeeping for them to give us toilet rolls!! Seriously??

Other issues:
- Bathroom doesn't have an exhaust fan which we found strange for an expensive hotel.
- Swimming pool was out of action during our visit for cleaning/maintenance.
- Gym facilities were however reasonably adequate.
- We did order some room service which came reasonably fast and of decent quality.
- Lifts are fast.
- Location is good - within walking distance to the CBD and the free shuttle bus service.
- Bedding, whilst advertised as a King bed is actually 2 singles pushed together, is actually quite comfortable and gave a good nights sleep
- Can get noisy - there was a wedding reception in the courtyard on Sat night and we could hear the music going on the whole time - bring your ear plugs if you want to sleep!!

Overall I was disappointed with the stay, especially in a hotel that carries the supposedly luxurious "Hilton" tag, this was far below expectations. Considering I was staying 5 nights during the weekdays, it would be appreciated if some consideration is given to allocating a decent room on a higher floor that may have less sound transmission from the noise of an outdoor courtyard wedding reception below. Will not be staying here again.

Room Tip: Don't bother booking here and giving any instructions as the staff don't seem to regard your...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
gmperthhilton, General Manager at Parmelia Hilton Perth, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear kimbopumpkin

Thank you very much for your detailed review.

It’s great to hear you were satisfied with many aspects of your stay, however I am very sorry for the poor impression created on your arrival.

I would appreciate an opportunity to address your concerns personally if you would kindly contact me at david.constantine@hilton or by telephone on 08 9215 2000.

In the meantime, please accept my sincere apologies for the areas you have highlighted which were unsatisfactory. It is certainly not the impression we would wish you to leave us with and we hope to have an opportunity to change your impression on a return visit.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards