“Glass box of tasty food”
Review of Shiro Izakaya - CLOSED

Shiro Izakaya
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dublin
“Glass box of tasty food”
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Our first visit to a Japanese restaurant. This is an upmarket spot in a modern block in the city with great views of the skyline at night. The food was amazing. Lovely for a special treat.

Visited June 2013

• Indonesian first
“Great food, average service and very pricey”
Reviewed 19 June 2013

The food here was wonderful. The benefit of being able to book online was an advantage. A little difficult to find if you didn't know that in perth a lot of restaraunts are located within common areas under office buildings. The staff were polite but at the same time not very attentive to their customers. The restaurant is billed as tepanyaki but does nt offer this service at all, which was rather disappointing as that was the whole reason we chose the place to begin with. For the standard of the meal, it was over priced. Would maybe come here again.

Visited June 2013
Perth, Australia
“Lacking”
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Booked a table of 5 at 7.10pm on a Friday night for a 7.30pm booking, and it was accepted. Duly arrived on time and seated at a nice table. Nice greeting etc. First time here for me for dinner. Not cheap and we ordered a mix of sashimi, teriyaki and tofu dishes, along with sides (rice, pickled ginger and wasabi). The food was well- presented but the portions were on the small side. Asked Maitre De for a recommendation re sake, and was offered one, which was pleasant and good value for the money.
Compared to 4 previous visits, this was disappointing. The offerings were slight, the rice gluggy, had to pay extra for ginger and wasabi (incredulous) though it did pack a punch. This is supposedly an authentic Japanese restaurant, but we had an Australian supervisor, our main waitress was European, and the girl who organized the bill apologized for not understanding my attempt at Japanese, as "she wasn't Japanese".
This really dampens enthusiasm- reminded me of a Thai/Cambodian place in Scarborough where I was served by an Aussie and a German. Don't get me wrong, I know how hard hospitality is, trying to find and keep staff is difficult and trying.
The staff were very pleasant and obliging, no issue there whatsoever.
I guess I should have known by getting in at short notice, though greatly appreciated, things there are not going as well as they could.
Would I go there again, yep. Would I recommend it to guests, no- I'll settle for Nobu and Halo.
And yes, I know a lot of there staff aren't Japanese either.
Finally, would someone go to a classic place like Peruginos and not get brilliant Italian service- I think not.

• Visited June 2013
Perth
“Expensive but delicious and great staff”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a beautiful restaurant with wonderful service. The food is very delicious, although quite expensive, but you really feel like you're having a special time with the great staff who are very attentive.

Try the sashimi Oceans 5 (although it's $38 - in Japan it would be about $10!) it's beautifully presented and very yummy.

It's also a lovely view out into the park area.

• Visited May 2013
Perth, Australia
“Will be back!”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We went here for dinner the other night to celebrate my hubby's birthday. We ordered some sashimi and the fish was really fresh. The rest of our meal was delicious and I loved that their portions weren't too big.

The service was excellent. It really is hard to find restaurants in Perth where they have good service but the staff were all friendly and even brought hubby a special birthday cocktail on the house since it was a special occasion.

The interior is very nice and was great for our romantic dinner. Finally a restaurant where you get great atmosphere with excellent food and service!

We had a great time and will definitely be back.

• Visited May 2013