“Average for a Five Star”

Hyatt Regency Perth
Ranked #19 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 3 August 2008

Stayed overnight at the Hyatt as a treat for our anniversary.

The check in was fairly quick.

The room was up to the expected standard of a five star. No bathrobe present but housekeeping quickly delivered one.

Had a lovely room service dinner which arrived quickly. Quiet pricey but very tasty.

The big dissapointment was going downstairs to have breakfast to be told they were booked out. We were told we could wait but were not offered a coffee so left. This could have been handled much better and spoiled an otherwise pleasant stay.

Check out was simple also.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PerthTraveller99
There are newer reviews for Hyatt Regency Perth

Reviewed 22 July 2008

The appearance from the outside is a little deceiving, yes the hotel is certainly dated, inside and out, but on the inside it is clean, comfortable and somewhat stylish.

Upon check-in, my partner and I were greeted with WARMTH (Western Australia’s Rude & Moody Teenage Hospitality). Luckily with a few pre-prepared questions in my pocket like “which floor is the room on?”, “where are the lifts?”, and “where is the breakfast served?” and with a few grunts and hand movements from the assistant behind the desk; I was able to find everything I needed for my stay. Let’s just get this straight, the service at the Hyatt was no better or worse than most hotels in Perth, but its 2008 and at the moment, good staff are darn hard to find.

I booked a deluxe king room which is basically a larger size king room. The room was fitted with all the amenities you would expect from a 5 star hotel, nothing to flash, but clean comfortable and roomy. One slight problem though, which I suspect is a result of the buildings old plumbing system….. anytime someone in an adjacent room, or in a room down the hall, or and I suspect even in the rooms above and below, flushes the toilet, you can hear it; and it’s not the kind of hissing sound you might expect from water rushing through pipes, it’s more like the sound of someone gargling to death. Hmmm, maybe that is a slight exaggeration, but I would still be hoping no one in the hotel has a case of the runs in the middle of the night.

The pool deck was nice and well maintained; the pool itself was large and surprisingly really deep. The small gym was adequate, as was the sauna and the tennis court. However one of the best things going for the Hyatt is the range of restaurants on its doorstep. The hotels restaurants like Joes Oriental Diner, which really does have an Asian charm, and the Café and Gershwins are all good by themselves, but when you add Friends Restaurant and Chanterelle at Jessica’s, both with great food, better views and located in the same complex, you really do have a feast of options.

Maybe my expectations of Perth’s hotels are starting to dwindle, or maybe I had a little too much to drink at the bar which altered my perceptions, but overall I was pleasantly surprised by the Hyatt Regency Hotel. I enjoyed my stay and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Getzaround
Reviewed 13 July 2008

Okay, this might take a while but please bear with me.
We recently booked an Awaken Package at the Hyatt, Perth. This included a river view room, with king bed in a 33sqm room. The room was indeed large, however, a bedside lamp had broken footing, and the bed was was very spongy and not a 'king' bed but 2 single beds joined together. We rang concierge who immediately moved us to an alternative room. This was worse. Small, pokey room with a combined bath/shower but alas, there was a king size bed (spongy, old and uncomfortable). This time we walked to the concierge to complain and were greeted by a lovely girl at the desk who was very understanding and on hearing our disappointment, upgraded us to a Regency King riverview suite on the 8th floor. This was absolutely beautiful (mind you, the 'king' bed was still 2 singles joined together but the remainder of the suite made up for it). It was absolutely glorious. We had pre dinner drinks and canapes at the lounge on the 8th floor (included when staying in the king suite) - lovely food and very courteous, friendly staff. The next morning, we had breakfast in our room. The 'Aussie Breakfast' was okay - my husband, who's not normally fussy, said the eggs were overcooked and the sausages and potato cake were undercooked. I had the eggs benedict, which was delicious.
The best thing about this hotel is the amazing view (if you have a riverview room). If you're wanting above average - you need to book a Regency Executive King Suite for starters. Otherwise, prepare to be disappointed. However, the staff were all wonderful and the valet was super efficient.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JosieGirlPerth
Reviewed 12 July 2008

Very very disappointing. I was given an “awaken package” here as a gift, and was shocked by the poor standard of many aspects of the room. There was a squashed bug smeared on the wall, a hole in the curtain, an obvious stain on the carpet, dodgy repairs to areas on the bathroom walls. Only one bathrobe to share between the two of us …. I love wearing robes when at a hotel. The bar fridge was also so crammed full of expensive bar items that we literally could not fit a single bottle of our own wine in it without having to pull out a pile of stuff.

Our “awaken package” boasted a 2pm checkout, but we were told by reception that we had to leave by 12.30pm. After talking to a few staff we managed to have this corrected. The reception staff were polite and helpful, and I suspect that they are the only thing that the hotel has going for it. I felt sorry for them, as it must be hard working to such a high standard when the facilities are expensive yet badly rundown.

The pool did look lovely, and the bedside tables were nice. The breakfast was good, though people were lining up for a very long time (probably more than 30 minutes for some people) before being able to get a table as it was so small. I think that they were renovating it at the time so hopefully it can fit more people now.

I suspect that it would have been a great hotel in its “hay-day”. If you are going to stay there, I would definitely ask if your room has been recently renovated before booking. I assume that they must be renovating it …. I hope they are renovating it. Our room may have been unusually poor compared to the others. The friendly service and my experience of the Hyatt on other places means that I would return if it was well renovated, but if not then I think I would prefer to stay at home.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Trakaroo
Reviewed 16 June 2008

I was really worried about staying here after the bad reviews. Norman Khan the manager is amazing and really takes the time to offer the clients the best experience.

We stayed for a night 23rd May.

We arrived after a 19 hour flight from the UK and had a really smooth check-in.

We booked the Awaken Package and got breakfast in the room and a late check-out .

We loved our stay. The rooms are huge and the bathrooms offer everything you'd expect from a 5 star resort. The breakfast was fantastic and the Aussie option was great.

Please stay at this resort as it offers everything you'd like.

When i return to Australia in 2010 i will stay at this resort.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
3  Thank d_nathan_99
Reviewed 17 April 2008

I'm a business traveller to Perth and have been going back and forth weekly for a few weeks now. I had avoided the Hyatt due to the reviews on this site, but had little choice last week due to availability.

Most of the hotels in Perth are charging rack rates during the week these days unless you have a corporate rate, and even then most hotels don't have to offer the rate if the hotel is too heavily booked. As a result, I was socked with a (get this) $400/night basic room. Look, the room was fine - I didn't feel disgusted or anything. That said, there were the following issues which I couldn't believe given the rate I was paying: the telephone handset didn't work - you had to put the phone on speaker, the grout in the shower was mouldy, there was no complimentary water bottle by the bed (silly, but the tap tasted funny and the Sheraton provides 2 water bottles free per day), room service was the worst quality I've ever had, the mattress sagged so much that the edges were well above the middle and when housekeeping cleaned the room they took all the pillows away.

I'm going back to Perth next week and have booked into the Sheraton, where I've stayed before and is a much better option in East Perth.

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank PixieChick69
Reviewed 6 April 2008

Booked the Amour romance package at the Hyatt as it was my anniversary with my partner and we wanted to relax. The package came with a bottle of champange, a bouquet of flowers, (which turned out to be a dozen red roses, which is ok if you like red roses, I hate them, but they weren't to know that) and chocolates (6 chocolates on a plate), breakfast included in a river king room (had a view of the river) - the price was $385.00/night.

Overall the room is nice & the bathroom decent. Didn't use the bath, but the shower was quite big. There are somethings I do have to complain about though. I paid for a a river KING room, not a river - two twin beds pushed together - king room. That really annoyed me. The breakfast came later than the time requested. The eggs were very sloppy, and the bacon looked like it had been deep fried.

The highlight of the hyatt experience was when we came back from dinner (not at the hyatt) and sat in the beautiful lounge bit adjacent to check in. The hot chocolate was lovely and my partner loved his liqueur coffee as well.

Over all it was a 2/10 experience and I won't be going back there.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple