“Great service & food, but room could be better”

Hyatt Regency Perth
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Great service & food, but room could be better”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I stayed there on a business trip for 2 nights. Compared with my last trip (when I gave it a maximum rating of 5), the room was disappointing. It seemed dated (especially the bathroom). It seems that some rooms (of the same category) are better than others. To arrive late at night to find the light over the desk not working and a toilet with a problem is not great, especially when one considers that this is an expensive hotel - perhaps excessively so. The high quality staff and food are a redeeming feature. They are great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear WanderingAlbatross9
Many thanks for your feedback and I am disappointed to learn that this visit wasn’t quite up to the standard of your previous ones; the issues you mention should have been identified and rectified prior to your arrival and I am sorry this wasn’t the case – I will let our Housekeeping Manager know.
I would also thank you for your comments regarding our staff and the quality of food, this is very much appreciated. I hope you will choose to stay with us again on your next business trip to Perth.
Adam Myott, General Manager, Hyatt Regency Perth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (379)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The Hyatt Hotel Perth is a very pleasant place to stay; we booked a concierge level room and are very glad we did. Lounge is spacious, food and wine selection was very good. Hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants and other sites. Also, only two blocks from a coin-operated laundromat; which we needed after five days in Australia. Only negative is that the hotel does not have a "concierge". Instead the bellmen try to fill this role, but not with the ability of a good concierge. When the bellman booked tickets to a play, we were to pick them up at the theatre. The theatre had a hard time finding our reservation, because it was not in our name; instead the reservation said "Hyatt-concierge".

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the corridor are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear pattyanddick
I am pleased that you enjoyed your recent visit and were able to take advantage of our Regency Club accommodation and the extra benefits this provides. Thank you also for your feedback regarding our Concierge; I will pass this on to our Director of Rooms so that he can address the areas where improvements can be made.
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review and I hope you will consider staying with us again should your future travels bring you back to Perth.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stayed four days in Perth while on business. Place is centrally located, at least I found it to be. Rooms are clean and cafe offers a nice breakfast. The rooms are what you would expect from a Hyatt chain. Next trip plan to stay at the Hyatt again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SonnyYVR
Dear Sonny D
Many thanks for your review and it’s good to know you enjoyed your few days with us and we were able to cater for your needs whilst you were away from home. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Perth.
perth
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Superb service coupled with the most comfortable beds we have slept on in any establishment.
We will go out of or way to return just to enjoy the whole package.
Enjoyed the piece and quiet ,the location is close to tbe cbd for shopping and entertainment.

Room Tip: Ask for a River View Room..
Dear WAtravelerPerth
Really pleased to note you enjoyed you recent visit - particularly the beds; it’s always important to know you can get such a comfortable night’s sleep away from home. We hope you will take the opportunity to stay with us again in the near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I chose to stay at the Hyatt for two reasons -- I'd stayed there before, and because it's one of the ONLY hotels in Perth that has on-site self-parking. Most Perth hotels either don't have any parking at all, or very expensive valet parking. The Hyatt has its own carpark, and with the free Transperth buses just outside the door, you can get into and out of the central city very easily.

We were on package deal ($219) that included self-parking (approx $20 value), two full buffet breakfasts ($78 total), and free internet (approx $20 value), so it was a worthwhile deal.

The decor is just the same as it's been for many years, but there's nothing wrong with that. Our room was on the 6th floor and overlooked Adelaide Tce. The bed was comfy, but my pillows were WAY too high and hard for me so I ended up not using a pillow at all.

The bathroom amenities were fine, thought the shower leaked over the floor a bit. However, there were too long black head hairs on the bathroom floor, which was a bit gross and indicated a not-to-thorough clean.

I particularly liked the new wall unit where the mini fridge was behind a cupboard at eye level, and where there was a cute little space with TWO power outlets perfect for recharging your phone or tablet -- no more hunting behind the bed or around the desk looking for a spare power outlet!

Would I stay at the Hyatt again? Yes, if I was driving into the city and needed a hotel with a secure place to self-park the car. The free buses make it a no-brainer, as you'll also save on not having to pay exorbitant city carpark fees.

1 Thank Rhonda B
Dear Rhonda B
Glad to see you were able to take advantage of one of our packages to enjoy a quick city break. For your information, we now have a selection of pillow styles available so on your next visit, please ask to see the ‘menu’ – hopefully you will find one more comfortable.
I am very sorry about the bathroom cleanliness issues – this is clearly not acceptable and I have asked our Housekeeping Manager to follow this up with his team.
Thank you for taking the time to let me have your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Northern England
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I recently spent four nights in a club room in the Perth Hyatt hotel. The room was very clean and well cared for. The housekeeping staff did a great job. Equally the staff in the Regency Club were polite, attentive and friendly. This helped make my stay enjoyable. The hotel restaurants were also good with fast service and great food. I highly recommend Joes Oriental Diner which is at street level. Portions were great, the food excellent and service was fast.

During my stay the hotel was having work done on the roof, and separately some urgent work was undertaken on the hot water system. These detracted from the usual Hyatt 5 star experience. I imagine they have been resolved by now. After raising this with Justin Borg, the Director of Rooms, he apologised and has promised that my next stay in a few months time will represent the best of Hyatt. It is great to know that senior managers such as Justin take guest comfort seriously, and listen to, respond and act upon guest complaints. This creates happy guests, keeps standards high and undoubtedly generates repeat business.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river tend to be quieter.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Dear scruffier
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to make good use of our facilities – and many thanks for the feedback regarding our staff and the level of service provided. I am sorry that the roof and water works detracted from your visit on this occasion; this is essential renovation and maintenance work that has to be undertaken and as Justin advised, this should not be an issue on your next visit.
We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the New Year.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I recently stayed here for 4 nights during a business trip.
Pros:
- great location near the Swan river, close to outdoor activities (about 20-25 min walk to the CBD, there is a free shuttle)
- a decent business center, where I was able to print and shred
- nice size outdoor pool and sauna
- I didn't use the gym - it looked smallish and a bit depressing (no windows) -who would not rather be outside with Perth's great weather
- airport transfers worked out well
- room service was prompt and I was not charged for hot water with lemon and honey (ordered in addition to other food); the hotel has a healthy food menu section that looked quite extensive
- Extensive choices at the buffet breakfast, including eggs/omelets made to order, fruit, coldcuts, honeys/jams, breads, juices, cereals, and fruit (included in my room rate, so I used it).
- I had a corner room (costs extra) which was good size but generally the decor is very 'corporate' and does not stand out in any way.

Cons:
- there is no actual spa, therapist from another hotel comes to your room (I normally prefer the more relaxed and 'special' atmosphere you get at an actual spa)
- the room had no DVD player, but the hotel provided one on request
- unexplained additional charges (e.g., laundry more expensive than anticipated, charge for a collect call to the US) were taken off without complaint
- the trash wasn't always taken out

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear giulietta429
Many thanks for your feedback. As someone who stayed several days with us and experienced many of our facilities, I appreciate you taking the time to share your views both in terms of what you enjoyed and those areas where your feel improvements could be made; the latter are duly noted.
I hope you will consider staying with us again should your travels bring you back to Perth in the future.