“Excellent Choice”

Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Choice”
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Just completed a three night stay on business and must say have come away very impressed.
I usually stay at the Hilton due to having Gold status but the Hyatt is much better.
The rooms are a good size, beds are super comfy, high quality linen and towels and above average bathroom amenities.
I especially liked the complimentary bottled water and wifi. You need to be HHonors Gold to get those at Hilton.
The lobby is a nice spot to enjoy a few drinks after a long day at work and the pool area for a city hotel was quite nice. Love the deep pool.

The location is a bit out of the main CBD but only a 10 minute or so walk. I actually prefer this location as it's much easier to sleep, nice and quiet.

Excellent breakfast, friendly staff all helped to make this a memorable stay.

If I had to be picky, $7 for a soft drink is excessive,even for a 5 star hotel and the king bed was two beds together which I am not normally a fan of.

Will certainly be back when in Perth.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
Dear Chesty1
I am really pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us and thank you for the great feedback you have provided regarding our staff and various facilities. I appreciate your comment regarding the soft drink pricing and have passed this to our F&B Director for his information. With regard to the bedding, when you next make your reservation, please let our Reservation team know not to provide you with a splittable bed so that they can then reflect this preference in your guest profile accordingly.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Adam Myott, General Manager, Hyatt Regency Perth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Thy Hyatt Regency is not bad or good - it is right in the middle. Rooms are large and clean. The hotel is quite big. But, there is not a lot of real style or soul to the place. I was traveling for business and would come again - because it seems like a safe option and rooms are quiet so I can sleep.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear ScOttH103
Many thanks for your feedback and I am pleased to read that our hotel suits your business needs whilst you are away from home. We are always looking at ways to improve the ambience of our hotel and appreciate your observations.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Would have given a very good rating if not for the dried food found underneath a chair we moved to seat a visitor to our room. There was also something dead and decaying - either in the garden or under the boards of the pool lounging area - providing an unpleasant smell, which we reported to staff. Stayed in Deluxe King, good size room overlooking pool and bed was super comfortable - slept like a dream! As others have said, the décor is bland and is far from innovative or inspiring, as is the pool area. Overall, the atrium layout gives an nice open, light feel and we were satisfied with the service and our stay. If booked last minute, the deal is good but I would not want to pay full price tariff. The buffet breakfast was $40pp, so we went outside to eat for half the price. Would only take this option if it was included in a reasonable deal.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Dear pandagirl61
Many thanks for your feedback and my apologies for the dried food you found in your room – this obviously should not have happened and I have asked our Housekeeping Manager to look into this. With regards to the strange odour near the pool, following your report this was checked out by our Engineering team however no cause was found; we will continue to monitor the area as a precaution.
I am pleased to note you would consider staying with us again; we do have breakfast inclusive packages available so hopefully you will be able to find one to suit your needs. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We have stayed a few times now and decided to mix a recent anniversary weekend with a little business. We really like this hotel and consider it "our" hotel, with the last stay being a nice getaway for 3 nights. The room was nice and service was great but it is the little things that disappoint....

On phone booking, we were very grateful for a late checkout and room upgrade to river views, but on arrival had to argue for our late checkout... you would think a simple note on the computer would suffice. Around the corner and many of the lights on the lift buttons didn't work, both in and out of the lifts, so people were frustrated and wondering if their lift request had been registered or not.

We then holed up in our lovely room, as we are want to do, and ordered in-room dining... our favourite way of dining on getaways. The choice was great, service was quick and the food delicious. However, after 11pm some kind of Cinderella thing happened with in-room dining... especially desserts. We accept the necessity to cut down the menu overnight, but try to get a slice of apple pie with a coffee and it suddenly became way too hard... our best and only option was three scoops of ice-cream. The funny thing was, they could cook you a full breakfast 24 hours a day, but couldn't cut a slice off an apple pie after 11pm.... weird. In fact, we selected berry pancakes from the breakfast menu and had them with our coffee instead... they were delicious. Pointing out the lack of logic of this to kitchen staff proved a waste of time. So, if you are a bit nocturnal and get the munchies after midnight, be aware.

Finally, despite hanging our Privacy Preferred sign outside our door, we continued to be disturbed by service staff. Overall, we rate our stay very highly, but if the Hyatt wishes to enjoy the reputation of a five-star hotel, it needs to put some work into the little things... because in the end, it's the little things that end up putting a smile on our faces.

Room Tip: Ask if a river view room is available... great sunsets over the river.
Dear Nick G
As a regular visitor to the hotel, I really appreciate you taking the time to highlight ‘the little things’ that were lacking during your recent visit. I quite agree that these can either make or break the guest experience. You make some valid points and I’m sorry our staff did not show more flexibility with your requests, something we need to look at.
My thanks once again for your feedback and I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Monterey
Reviewed 27 January 2014

As someone who travels about 25% of the time for work I rarely post a review about a business hotel. This hotel was so disappointing that I felt I had to speak up on TA. On at least three occasions the front desk personnel out and out lied to me. The last straw was to tell me when I inquired about the hotel shuttle that I should take the public bus! It took three circles with the front desk woman and my saying that I read about the shuttle in the room brochure that she said yes there is one. The service in the hotel lobby bar and the restaurant is equally poor. I would never ever return to this hotel and strongly recommend that the hotel management instill the concept of integrity with the front desk and staff. The only star was Josh the concierge who helped us to make several arrangements and clearly understood the local restaurant scene, as well as day activities. Bravo to Josh but even the duty managers were a disappointment.
I see that the general manager reads and replies. My suggestion is to focus on integrity and honesty first and then move to increase the overall service with the general staff.

Room Tip: Best room is located at a different hotel ! Avoid this hotel
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank anothercalgal
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Dear anothercalgal
Thank you for your feedback. Your experience on this occasion – apart from your interaction with Josh - was clearly not a positive one and this is extremely disappointing. You obviously feel very strongly about these issues and I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these personally with you in more detail. With this is mind, I would appreciate if you could please email me on hrperth.gm@hyatt.com and advise the best way to make contact with you. I look forward to hearing from you.
Singapore
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Stayed at the Hyatt again after a long-interval during which their sky-high tariff forced me elsewhere.

Post-renovations the atrium is distinctly brighter, and obelisk resplendent. There is more art work on display than before too. The layout of the rooms remains the same however, with an insipid color scheme that is indistinguishable from years ago.

The verdict: Good but not great!

Room Tip: THE SHIGE RESTAURANT:: It is easy to miss this unpretentious Japanese restaurant opposite Fortescue...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear PonsSingapore
Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and I am pleased that you liked the enhanced atmosphere of the atrium now that the roof project is finished. As one project ends, others commence and there is always room for further improvement; I appreciate your observations regarding the room décor and will keep these in mind for future reference.
I hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Perth.
Portsmouth
Reviewed 23 January 2014

We have finished a tour of Australia with the Hyatt being the last hotel of our stay & so disappointed, first night we were given a room next to the service elevator whereby we were kept up most of the night with the constant banging, when we went down to reception to change our room the following morning, there was no actual apologies, we had planned to do a boatrip but because of the awful nights sleep followed by the changing of room we were too late to get the ferry but all the receptionist offered was " maybe you can do it another time" absolutely no apology & no customer service at all, coupled with bland rooms & a tired small bathroom with previous occupants hairs in the bath, no extraction & poor air conditioning. This hotel is quite out of the way from the main hub of shops, bars & restaurants, handy for the Waca ground but that's all, overall really poor choice & wished we had chosen somewhere different

1 Thank JoBaHampshire
Dear JoBaHampshire
Many thanks for your feedback and I am sorry you had such a poor experience with us. I certainly apologise for the challenges you faced in terms of noise disturbance and subsequent interaction with our staff; clearly this is not the type of impression we wish to make on our guests and I will follow this up with my team.
Thank you again for taking the time to post your review, which is greatly appreciated.