“Stylish”

Hyatt Regency Perth
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Perth
“Stylish”
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Thanks for all the staff at the Hyatt, good customer service makes all the difference. Hotel room was very clean and comfortable and the amenities were all of a good standard. Don't let the outside of the building put you off. We would stay again

Room Tip: River side
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 21 February 2014
Dear Jacki M
I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and my thanks for the great feedback regarding the level of service you experienced throughout the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Perth.
Adam Myott, General Manager, Hyatt Regency Perth

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (384)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed here using club points for two nights 4/2/14 and 5/2/14. Room was very basic, obviously in need of renovation, but good enough to throw their loyalty program patrons in. The standard was below a holiday inn express property. Bathroom was dirty, poorly supplied and not even a pen supplied in the room.
I had been in touch with the hotels concierge before arriving and asked them to keep an eye out for an important letter arriving. As I arrived in Perth I received a message saying a copy of the letter had arrived at my London home. No letter could be found at the hotel, each time I asked I got told, "can't find it" "dunno" "if we ever find it, will let you know"
I rang the sender, they had properly addressed it, and I doubt even Australia post would have lost it.......service was unbelievably bad.
Went to use the business centre to print important documents for a meeting, computer not hooked to a printer, staff member told me "you should have used the other one"......sorry, my powers of esp must have been off that day.
Overall this hotel has really gone downhill since it's heyday in the early to mid 90's. Staff are rude, room was awful, poorly supplied and dirty. Tried complaining on check out but was bundled out like an annoyance to the staff.
Bottom line, the hotel should not participate in the gold passport program if they are going to treat it's members like dirt.
I know service in Perth is bad and prices high, but how this can be rated a good hotel anymore is beyond me

Stayed February 2014
2 Thank Craig B
Dear Craig B
Many thanks for your review and clearly you did not have a good experience during your recent visit. You have identified several areas where we fell short of your expectations and I am also concerned that you feel your status as a Gold Passport member was not duly recognised. I would welcome the opportunity to communicate further with you on the points you have raised and would therefore appreciate if you could contact me on hrperth.gm@hyatt.com
I look forward to hearing from you.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 February 2014

My wife and I recently spent a weekend at the hotel to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary. I have been to the hotel on many occasions for business, yet this was the first time we had stayed at the hotel and I was extremely impressed.

When we made the reservation we mentioned that we were celebrating a special occasion. When we checked in, the staff member congratulated us on our anniversary and advised that we had been upgraded to a suite! The room was extremely spacious, with a large lounge room and seperate bedroom with dressing room and en suite, overlooking the Swan River. In addition there was a bottle of champagne on ice on the coffee table!!

The rooms were very well appointed and decorated and the bed was one of the comfiest I have slept in for a long time. We had access to the Club Lounge which is located on level 8 and overlooks the river. The lounge can be used throughout the day for coffee and canapes, and they serve complimentary drinks between 6pm and 8pm.

The best part of the hotel is that the design of the building provides a wonderful feeling of spaciousness. The main lobby includes a lounge bar, water fountain and a grand piano (there was a pianist playing on both nights that we were there). The lobby is completely open all the way up to the 9th floor with a large glass roof at the top.

There are a number of restaurants and bars in the complex, and of course being in the city you can easily access many others throuhout the CBD using the free buses that run from right outside the hotel. It is a short walk to the Swan River which is fantastic to walk around (or cycle or segway)

There is a tennis court and fitness club that are of very good quality (although we did not use them) and a roof top swimming pool on Level 1.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful.....we could not fault any of them......nothing was too much trouble.

If I had to be critical my only comment is that the outside of the hotel seems a little dated, with its brown brick construction. Don't let this put you off though, because the interior has been updated and is of a very high standard.

We had a wonderful weekend at the hotel that surpassed our expectations!

Room Tip: Select a room that provides access to the Club Lounge, so that you can enjoy the complimentary drink...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear DJFCP
Great to see that as a regular visitor to the hotel you were finally able to enjoy an overnight stay with us and I am delighted to learn we exceeded your expectations, especially as it was for such a special personal occasion. I am very pleased our staff were able to provide ‘the Hyatt Touch’ to help make your anniversary celebrations memorable and we certainly hope you will chose to stay with us again in the near future.
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This was my second stay here, and wasn't disappointed. Approaching the Hyatt Regency, you could be forgiven for thinking that you've found the wrong address. Very outdated on the outside, that's the end of the lack of a modern touch. The lobby is large and spacious filled with natural light.

The rooms are large, and are appointed with large windows allowing for plenty of natural light into the room. A big comfy bed, and a large (if somewhat outdated) bathroom make for a great stay.

The only downside to the Hyatt Regency is the location. Whilst saying it's on the outskirts of the CBD would be harsh, it is a little further afield from the CBD than other properties you may look to be comparing to. If you've got a car (as we did) this is less of an issue.

Having been back a second time, I've no doubt it will certainly be on my consideration list for my next trip to Perth.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear jdmiller83
Good to note you chose to stay with us again recently and many thanks for your feedback. Whilst we can’t do much about the external appearance of the building, we certainly aim to make up for that with the interior design and facilities and I’m pleased you liked the ambience of our atrium lobby. With regards to our location, for quick trips into and around the CBD, you may want to consider taking advantage of the complimentary weekday morning shuttle service we operate, or alternatively all buses picking up directly outside the hotel re also free within the city confines. We look forward to welcoming you back when your travels bring you back to the west.
Reviewed 13 February 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt on business over the last few days. I had a junior suite on the club level. The room was extremely spacious and well-appointed, with great views of the river.

The club on the level provides free nibbles and drinks and had a good feel about it.

The hotel generally was great. While, from the outside, the hotel looks a little dated, the internal architecture is quite spectacular.

The facilities (pool, fitness centre, massages, etc) are good without being great. The club sandwich, on the other hand (and, indeed, everything I tried from the menu) was first class.

I recommend the Hyatt and would have no hesitation booking there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade to the Club level. Good views and free drinks and nibbles.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Dear AussieWandering
Many thanks for your feedback and it’s good to note your few days with us and were able to make good use of our facilities. I’ll certainly pass on your great comments regarding the Club Sandwich to our Kitchen brigade. Pleased to see you would stay with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back before too long.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 12 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights. It is a rather nice hotel. Very big, great lobby and very helpful staff members. I found housekeeping to be excellent and they were very helpful with helping me with my needs of frequent linen changes and daily trash removal. I have 1 yr old twins that can make quite the mess! The rooms were nice, comfortable bed but the bathrooms are small. It is an older hotel and not the layout you need if traveling with small children. The hotel is not really stroller friendly as you have to walk up the driveway into the hotel and have to go through housekeeping area to get to the pool. And then you need assistance to get the stroller to the pool level. I will say that the staff was helpful with all of my needs and helped me get around.. The pool was nice but again not kid friendly. It doesn't have much of a shallow end for them to play and it's very deep! The area is covered with AstroTurf not grass so beware it is like lava on your feet on a hot day! The cafe was great, very helpful with the kids and had high chairs, didn't seems upset about the mess the kids made but 39 AUD for breakfast buffet was a bit steep in my book! Was good but that is very expensive!! We ate out for the rest of the day. The free bus to downtown is easy with a stroller and on time! Was excellent! The only thing I think they could work on is having the front desk being more knowledgable on the happenings around town. We were out and found out there was a festival on with fireworks in the park next to the hotel and no one told us that am. Also there was food stalls in the CBD with a lion dance that night also.. I also asked about what beach to go to and the all looked at me like they didn't know Perth had beaches! There was a flyer in the room with a few events in it but that personal touch really sets apart a great hotel from a good hotel.. If you ask a guest what they have planned or where they are headed and give some local tips goes a long way with me! Especially that I didn't know there was a park with kid equipment right behind the hotel till the day I left..

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view, I forgot to ask and didn't get one..:(
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank McKeown76
AdamMyott, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Perth, responded to this review, 13 February 2014
DearMcKeown76
Many thanks for your extensive feedback, I really appreciate and acknowledge the various comments you made. I am sorry for the lack of local information provided to you during your visit – Perth is buzzing at the moment with the Fringe Festival and Perth International Arts Festival both taking place in various locations across the city, many of the events are also free and family friendly. It is essential that we provide this type of information to our guests and I’ll be following this up with the team to ensure they are all up to speed with what’s happening around the city.
My thanks once again for your review and I hope you will consider staying with us again on a future visit to Perth.