“Sufficient Enough”

Novotel Perth Langley
Ranked #17 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 3 July 2010

We had only stayed here for a short weekend. The hotel is typical of the standard Novotel, with clean and modern decor throughout the common areas and in the rooms. Friendly and efficient reception staff with good local knowledge of the area are at your service. Facilities on the property including basic gym facilities, a spa and sauna area too. The hotel is also located near some decent dining options, such as the Irish pub next door, as well as the chic wine bar within the hotel in the lobby area. Rooms are well appointed and sufficient in space. A comfortable bed, large flatscreen TV, spacious bathroom and large windows all make for a pleasant stay. The hotel is located close to the city centre, so you can easily walk to nearby shopping areas or stroll along the Swan river. A decent place to stay if you're in the need for quality and affordability.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2010

To Travelling Carlito,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us at the Novotel Perth Langley. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback. I will share your comments with the team. I am sure your feedback will serve as an encourgement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our service.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Sincerly,

Write a ReviewReviews (2,544)

Reviewed 3 July 2010

I'm really pleased with how Novotels in general are really becoming great value for money, and in a city like Perth where overpriced, underwhelming properties are the norm the Novotel Perth Langley is a standout. Although just a bit further from the central CBD than some other properties, the NPL is still a bit closer than bigger properties like the Sheraton and Hyatt and much better. Rooms are clean, cosmopolitan in design and very functional. The work desk is great - love power points at desk level so you don't need to crawl on your knees to plug in - and nice separations of sleep/work/sit areas of the room. However the biggest surprise was the 5 Senses restaurant downstairs. Although a bit of a shocker in terms of the prices of the food (entrees were $20+ and mains were $30+) the food was spectacular and the service was warm and friendly. Not at all what I expected in a Novotel!

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank kcknacks

To Knknacks,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your experience with all our staff and Sen5es Restaurant, your encouragement to Novotel Perth Langley will strive all our staff to continuously improve the quality of our service.

Again we appreciate your comments, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

Reviewed 1 July 2010

There is talk around town that customer service is a dying if not dead art in Western Australia and for the most part that is true. Having said that, I can confirm that there is a little gem of a restaurant called Sen5es that is housed in the Novotel Langley Perth Hotel that is truely worth a visit.
When we stay in Perth we always book into the Novotel Langley. The main reason for this is because of this divine restaurant called Sen5es (yes, it has the number five in it's title.) Sen5es is one of the best Restaurants in Perth. We have had many fine dining experiences there. The best thing about eating in this restaurant is the fact that you are treated as though you are the only diners in the room. The wait staff know what is expected of them and they deliver. The food is spectacular and the staff are happy to suggest the best wines to suit your meal. If your lucky like we were, you get to sample complimentary offerings from the chef that showcase his outstanding abilities. Don't miss out on this eating experience!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank inekemorrow
NovotelGM, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2010

Dear Inekemorrow,

We very much appreciate you taking the time to tell us about the wonderful experience you had With us at the Novotel Perth Langley. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasurable as the previous one.

Reviewed 23 June 2010

Mr Simon McGrath is the VP Accor Hospitality Australia. I know that from the card left in my room, in which Mr Mr McGrath asked for my e-mail address for a survey for my 'truly important' thoughts. I consider such questionnaires a waste of time. If something is wrong, it should be mentioned on the spot. If something is right, I shall say, so eg if asked at check-out.

When I returned to Europe two weeks later, I found a questionnaire from Mr McGrath in one of my in-boxes, and another one sent four days later, in which Mr McGrath asked why I had not completed the first questionnaire, and this in terms more appropriate for a recalcitrant employee rather than an Accor 'loyalty' card holder of nearly 20 years, and then at Platinum status. I complained to the head of Accor Asia Pacific (Mr Issenberg) in Paris, but the letter was returned unopened after two months. I then sent the letter to Mr Issenberg at Singapore, and after over two months have had no reply from anybody in Accor. I have now sent the letter to Mr McGrath in Sydney.

I also took the opportunity to raise with Mr Issenberg two other points of principle. Firstly, I indicated at check-in that I was not paying the 1.5% credit card surcharge mentioned on a sign. This was not mentioned on the Accor bookiing website, nor on the confirmatory e-mail, and was thus an unfair commerical practice. Elsewhere in the hotel, it was indicated that this charge could be changed at any time ! The duty manager was very argumentative, and said I was perfectly free to pay cash (he did not mention the extra daily deposit) for this hotel and my subsequent Accor hotels in SW Australia, as if this was a realistic option to someone without an Australian bank account. In the end, the 1.5% was not added to my bill, but I could have done without dealing with this objectionable duty manager when all I wanted to do was get to my room after a 24-hour flight. May I remind Accor that the A Club conditions require me to be courteous at all times, and I expect the same of Accor staff and management. (On the other hand, somebody who books through Expedia does not have to be courteous at all times...)

The second point of principle was that I received no points for my stays in Australia for the third year running. I had to claim from Paris. Generally speaking, Accor hotels in Australia could not care less about non-Australian Accor cards.

As for the hotel itself, it is a 'correct' Novotel, although one bathroom had a decrepit shower-head and taps (the hotel does not need a questionnaire to be told that). The breakfast was expensive and not a very agreeable experience. On the first day, I waited a bit for someone to appear at the entrance to take my room number, went onwards for a newpaper, where I was accosted by another employee who accused me of walking in without giving my room number. In this big empty room at 8am on the first Saturday in December, I asked for the Christmas jingles to be turned off, or at least turned down. The employee apologised, but said there was nothing she could do about it (I cheered myself up by imagining Mr McGrath controlling the muzak in all his hotels from his office).

Without bothering to give other examples, let me just say that staff in this hotel gave the impression that any initiative or spontaneity was not wanted by the management.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
5  Thank Felix0309
NovotelPerth, General Manager at Novotel Perth Langley, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Dear Sir,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide this feedback.

I have in-fact responded to your letter dated 18th June and I am aware that Michael Issenberg has also sent an initial response to your letter sent to Singapore with a more detailed letter put in the post to you this week. Given the detailed nature of your feedback we needed time to follow up on your comments so we could respond appropriately.

Furthermore we are sincerely sorry that we did not receive your very first letter which has sent to Paris. Indeed as you mentioned Michael is based in Singapore and thus this original correspondence was not received.

We certainly care very much about all our guests, yourself included, and are terribly sorry that your experience of Accor in this instance has not been a positive one.

I would very much like to speak with you directly in regards to your feedback. Please call our Sydney Office on 02 9280 9888 and we can arrange a time for me to give you a call.

Again thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback.

Kind regards,
Simon McGrath,
Vice President- Accor Australia.

Reviewed 6 May 2010

After getting stranded in Perth because of a QANTAS flight delay (don`t get me started!) we found the Novotel in the city. I could not find fault with the service I received from the Customer Service manager. Service was prompt, polite and friendly. Rooms were clean, size of the TV was good. The Irish bar/restaurant adjacent was a great alternative (including cost wise) for dinner!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank liliz
Reviewed 6 May 2010

The Novotel is known to be a business hotel and was pretty upset when I learnt that the hotel doesn't provide any toothbrush. I'm a regular to Novotel but this is my first stay in a Novotel that doesn't provide a toothbrush. Ask from the frontdesk the night I check in and was told that the toothbrush was out of stock! How ridiculous! Ended up I had to buy a tooth brush and tooth paste from a nearby convenience store for A$9!!! And thats the cheapest toothbrush on the shelf! The next morning, unsatisfied, I ask from the housekeeping and the stocks 'magically' appeared. So the fact is that they do have tooth brush and lied bout it as they're too lazy to help me get one. What lazy service. No bottles water provided as well. And parking was expensive at $25. This business hotel seems to me like a budget hotel. Everything need to pay extra. Luckily I got the rooms during the Accorhotels sales. Or else would pay the normal rate for other hotel.
Location is pretty good as it's 5 mins drive to shopping and 10mins to Kings Park, 20mins from airport and 30mins to Frementle. Bed and pillows are too soft for my liking. I'm used to feather topper on my own own bed so I love soft bed. But this bed is way too soft. Seems like sleeping on cheap foam mattress. Breakfast is also expensive at $35++ per person. But since I'm out of the hotel mostly, I just ignore all these nonsense. My advise, stay only if the price is cheap, below A$120. I only pay A$80 during the sales. So can't complain much.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank suitejoe
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I had booked a room for 29th March through their website. On reaching there was told that all rooms were full & was bumped to the nearby IBIS which is a lower brand. This too after reporting to the hotel at 8pm which is by no means late. I sent a complaint letter to the hotel manager email id, but guess what " a loud silence" in response. Totally disappointing and a complete con job. The contents of my email below, still waiting a response from the customer friendly hotel...

I had made a reservation at the Novotel, Perth as per this program. However on reaching there at 9pm local time I was told that the hotel was full & that I would be accomodated in the nearby IBIS.

I have just checked into the IBIS & needless to say am extremely disappointed. I have been put in a room which is a cubby hole to say the least and that too at the same rate of AUD 205. Moreover this hotel is further from my work location so I will also incur additional taxi fare. Also the usual tariff at this hotel is far lower so obviously this is a great way to make margins by moving customers at the last minute.

I am stunned & apalled by the incompetence of the hotel manager to move me without advance notice. This shows complete lack of customer sensitivity and professionalism. I have so far had very good experiences with the ACCOR groups worldwide and I travel very frequently. But the Novotel Perth has certainly redefined customer service standards for me. I will be expressing my opinions in a few travel portals which rate hotels.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business