“Great size apartments”

Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Brisbane, Australia
“Great size apartments”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I've stayed in the two bedroom apartments many times. Kitchens are well stocked, rooms are big and it's close to the WACA cricket ground and Queens Park. It's a good 10 min walk into the centre of the shopping CBD, but there is a free bus that run a city loop (not run by the hotel). A small supermarket is across the street along with bottle shops and pubs. Parking can fill up and leave you out on the street on busy nights. All in all it's a solid apartment hotel.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
Hi midwicket

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback of your recent stay. It pleases me to advise that we are well underway with our room renovations which will enhance our overall product of which I am sure you will enjoy on your next visist to Mantra on Hay.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This hotel looks great in foyer but the standard of room was very disappointing. There was leaking roof, stains on carpet and tv is in lounge but not bedroom. High service charge on room service and food was cold when delivered. Didn't feel like safe place outside either

Room Tip: Would not recommend
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Antoinette B
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Hi Antoinette B

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide feedback of your recent stay. Please accept my apologies for the shortcomings you have mentioned regarding the rooms appearance.

We are in the process of our refurbishment which will enhance the overall presentation of the rooms.

Again thank you for your feedback.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

I am currently staying at the Mantra on Hay and hate every moment of it. We are checking out in the next day to move to another hotel. Mantra on Hay is old, dirty paint and walls and even cockraches in my apartment kitchen. The staff (especially one individual) wokring over the last weekend is rude and insults her co-workers in front of guests. This was rented by my company for us and I will advise them never to put any families or employees in Mantra of Hay, possibly to stay away from this hotel brand completely.
I have travelled to developed and poor countries and must say for the rate we pay per night this is the lowest and worst standard I have ever seen for a develoepd country...shame on this hotel for expecting guests to put up with this.

Room Tip: dont book please....
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank ALvCal
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Hi AlvCal

Thank you for feedback with regards to your current stay. We are currently going through a refurbishment which will enhance the overall properties appearance and the guest experience. We do our best to maintain pest control through programmed maintenance especially having full kitchen facilities to ensure this does not affect your stay. It is unfortunate that this occurred while you were here. May it also be noted that once you notified reception of this issue we gave you the option to move rooms to which you declined. Mantra on Hay with its spacious apartments is great for families and longstay guests as it has all the required facilities, full kitchen, seperate washing machine and dryer and within close proximity of 3 supermarkets.

Again I apologise for the inconveniences caused.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed here for business and I so wish I hadn't, the hotel is the wrong end of town for business and there were drunk people sitting on benches near the hotel. But the worst part was the room... a tragic confection of broken and chipped 1980s furniture, a kitchen complete with peeling laminate all mixed with an aircon unit that sounded like a jet engine. And then there are the small things like the toilet seat in my room that had broken in half at some point in time and had then been super-glued together (yes really) and then broken again... and lastly the empty Jim Bean cans on the balcony, plus the 100s of cigarette butts, smashed glass, odd rotting socks and Jack Daniels bottles that covered the awning to the building and in full view of my room really says it all..!!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank GlobalNomad62
Hi GlobalNomad62

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. I regret the shortcomings in service you have reported from housekeeping and our Executive Housekeeper will certainly address this with her staff. With regards to the appearance of the room I apologise for any disappointment you experienced.
We are starting our property refurb today which will enhance the guest experience.

Singapore
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We felt that a 2-bedroom apartment sleeping 4 people is very spacious. Some come with 2 bathrooms while ours comes with only 1. The furniture is nice but the kitchen shows considerable signs of wear and tear, probably due to heavy use. Good location. The Perth Mint is a few minutes by walking. The Swan River is 2 blocks away. The CBD is about 20 minutes on foot but free CAT buses are a few steps away and can take you to most places, including the train station.

Everything works, except for one incident with wifi. In this day and age, free wifi has already become the norm all around the world so charging for wifi is an outdated, not greedy, practice. Even the cheapest hotels in some of the poor countries have free wifi for guests. So when we had to pay for wifi, we expected that somebody would take responsibility to fix the problem. That's a reasonable expectation, isn't it?

One night the wifi was off while we were in the middle of our trip planning and booking. I called the front desk and was told that wifi was provided by a third party and the hotel had nothing to do with it. I'd need to call that company and the rate for local calls was $1 per minute. There are a few things wrong in this picture as you can see. Very frustrated, I probed further and found that if I went down to the lobby, I could use the phone there free of charge. I had to walk down with my laptop and got on the phone with a customer service rep of the internet company. The problem was diagnosed and fixed within 15 minutes and everything was back to normal.

I was wondering if you're a foreign tourist in Australia and can't speak English well, how are you going to have the problem fixed? You thought by calling the front desk and reporting the problem, they'd call the internet service provider themselves and have the problem fixed on your behalf. After all, you have to pay for the service. I think the management should work on this issue and change the procedure for front desk staff. The hotel should take some responsibility in ensuring that wifi connection works at all time. I'm sure the hotel takes a cut in the fee guests pay to use the wifi. So fix problems when they arise. Or better yet, make wifi for everyone.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bonsaisai
SimonRuri201, Manager at Mantra on Hay, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Hi bonsaisai

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay.

Please accept my apologies that the service you were provided during your stay was less than satisfactory. The issue you raised regarding the internet has been addressed with the respective departmental manager and additional training will be reiterated with regards to how internet issues are resloved.

City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here 2 times. The location cannot be beaten. It's right across the road from free public transport which can take you all across the city. The first time we were on the ground level in a three BR two BTH room. Very spacious and clean. Second time we were on the 7th floor in a 2br room. Both we're clean and well stocked. Staff put my little sisters barbies on the couch everyday! The first time we went in the pool it was freezing however a bar man over heard us saying this and said he would bring it to the managers attention! The next day we went swimming in a nice warm pool.

Overall for the price you pay it's a great hotel!

• Stayed November 2012
Hi Lachlan F

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience with us. We are very happy we were able to assist in providing you once again with a memorable holiday and look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Paris
Reviewed 26 October 2013

As title suggests I was very dissapointed on a recent stay at the Mantra on Hay. I'll start with the positives -

-Helpful staff. Very patient when we had issue with blocked card and luggage.
-Good location. East Perth with cafes & shops on door step. Free city CAT bus 30 secs walk.
- Had dessert with room service which was delicious.

Negatives

We booked a 2bed 2bath at average $330pn. Perth is an expensive city. This aparthotel claims to be 4 and a half stars. I cannot fathom where that came from. The apartment we received was dark, dingy and very motel like. More like 3 stars max.

Old wood everywhere, horrid lighting, very old style kitchen with cooker top that was unwipeable the old sort. Bedrooms felt grim and depressing and bathrooms need updating.

When we used the washer or dryer they gave the worst sounds and walls in apartment are very thin. The living room is slightly better.

We ordered an on demand movie for $15 and the screen was blurry.

Also within 2 hours of our check in someone walked into apartment and said he was here to remove mini bar. Mini bar being 2 bottles of water, some crisps and a coke on a tray on the counter. I found it strange that although we had paid a bond they felt the need to take it.

Overall I would not stay here again. It is in dire need of an upgrade as the room standard is low. The lobby is lovely but don't be fooled. The lifts don't require a swipe which for safety is a bad thing but as I was travelling with my partner who has difficulty using them due to disability it was a blessing.

Room Tip: Unless everywhere else is fully booked and you like motel style apartments I would say just avoid.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Anna B
Hi Anna B

Thank you for providing feedback of your stay with us here at Mantra on Hay.

It pleases me to hear that there were some positives during your stay. With regards to the apartments we are due to start our refurbishment process this month which will enhance the shortfalls you have mentioned.

I have spoken to the Executive Housekeeper regarding the mis-communication regarding your minibar and we apologise for the inconveniences caused.