“Huge Magical Playground!”

Perth Central City Stay
Ranked #54 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I picked this Hotel for 3 reasons. 1) the Playground, 2) cooking facilities and 3) The location.
The Playground far exceeded my expectations(photos attached) I travelled with my teenage daughters and my niece's 4 children 10 - 4 yo. I was expecting a smallish playground, so was very shock to see the large size of it. It was really Magical, even the 7Yo said it was magical. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore. With a BBQ and lots of tables, we had 2 dinners there and also cooked pancakes for Brekkie one morning. With 4 very run a about kids to keep occupied the playground was just perfect.
2)cooking facilities- They were okay in the room. The 2 bedrooms have their own laundry. This was great for my niece and her 4 kids. I used the dryer a lot to dry our towels.
3)Location- Just great, 2 FREE bus stops out from Perth. 1 train station out. The bus stops right next to the Hotel and across the road. The hotel is across the road from Harbour Town. Great place to shop, but no supermarket there. The hotel does have quite a reasonable grocery shop. My niece even bought made up rolls from the freezer to heat up for her 4 kids. I noticed a pile of freezer food to heat up.

The cons- as previous reviews have noted about the noise. I'm a light sleeper and door bangings did wake me up as did some noise on the Saturday night. Once the weekend was over it wasn't too bad. I can note though I remember door bangings at Crown casino Hotel in Melbourne, and that is a 5 1/2 start Hotel!
yes there wasn't room maintenance, but not a lot of hotel change sheets etc. these days. I changed a few towels along the way. My niece did ask for some more coffee, and on her 2nd request she was knocked back. I thought that was a bit mean!

On our arrival I was told that my niece had the room next to ours- I was rapt as I was hoping for anything just on our floor. But when my niece checked in the following night she was moved to 2 floors above us, way at the other end. I was told that the person in her room asked to stay another night, so they let him, and moved my niece even though I had notes on my file requesting that we be together(or at least near each other). I ranted and raved and after about 1/2 hour or so they said that my niece can have her original room back the next day. When it came to changing rooms there was no mention of her changing, after more ranting and raving she finally got changed. As I hadn't seen my niece and the kids in over 2 years, I really needed for us to be close etc.

Room Tip: Great Play ground and Great Location
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 April 2011

Stayed in this hotel for 5 nights back in December 2010 when i went to see Bon Jovi at Subiaco Oval and I have to say it was worth the money, the rooms were clean, and suited my needs perfectly, location was great with a bus stop right across the road. the staff were all friendly and were always willing to help when help was ask for. The only problem i had was some of the noise levels, unfortunatly my room was facing the main street so in the morning any trucks coming pass or people hooning pass was heard every time and did disturb my sleep on a number of occations, also sometimes the plumbing was too loud and the pipes would make one hell of sound. all in all if you are looking for a reasonably priced places and in a good location do conider this, despite a few noise problems.

• Stayed: December 2010
Reviewed 21 February 2011

We stayed in 2-bedrooms apartment for 5 days, and we found it quite enjoyable. The rooms are clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The problem in our apartment was only about the bathroom. For 2-bedrooms unit, they only have 1 bathroom. I stayed there with 3 members of my family, so we had to make a line in the morning, just to use the bathroom. Maybe the hotel could consider to have more bathroom or toilet in this 2-bedrooms unit?
The hotel also has another problem, and i think they really have to do something about it. It was the elevator. The elevator was scary. It moved very rough with scary sound. It looks very tired and really need to be renovated because it could endanger the guests.
Hotel location is not in the heart of city, but there is harbour town across the hotel. Harbour town is a small shopping complex and most the shops offer things at low prices. Much lower than in the city, i can say. You don't have to catch the bus nor train to get there, just across the street.
So, when i trip to perth again, i will list this hotel first as my accommodation..

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 December 2010

We stayed here on a 3 day city break in Perth and were disappointed with both the quality of accommodation and the noise levels within the hotel.

We received a very warm welcome at the hotel and all staff that we encountered during our stay were pleasant and friendly.

However, the noise levels are a real issue here, especially if you're a light sleeper. As a previous reviewer said, it isn't necessarily due to other guests being noisy (although more of that later), just that the noise seems to reverberate around the building. Everything including conversations, toilets, showers, wheely suitcases in the corridor, etc can be heard at what seems like amplified volumes.

We also had the misfortune to stay over a weekend so were woken at regular intervals during the night by raucous revellers coming and going but also at the crack of dawn by out of control kids running up and down the corridors.

The room was clean and functional but very tired looking - bits of tiles were coming off the wall in the bathroom.

I would recommend this place as backpacker type accommodation if the rates were lower.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank berthaandflea
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Greeting and reception was excellent. There is a small but very useful variety of stuff for sale in the 'shop' in reception. I believe this building is a converted nurses hall of residence or similar - the corredors seem to go for miles. We had a two bedroom unit and first impressions were not good. The unpainted and unlined brick walls are quite oppressive and the furnishings were tatty. Definitely a 3 star place. The toilet ran all night but that didn't affect our sleep and we had requested an apartment at the back so it was quiet. Otherwise, I would suggest earplugs if people moving around upstairs and nextdoor keep you awake. The gap under the toilet door was about 1.5 inches and you could hear every sound when someone used the bathroom! Everyone I spoke to commented on the size of the car parks but we didn't have a car so weren't affected. On the positive side the beds were very comfortable, everything worked (although only got a few very basic tv stations) and the unit was clean. The hotel is directly opposite a factory outlet mall and the free bus stops are very close. It is easy to get into the centre of town (we walked in and bused back) and is an ideal base for exploring the centre of Perth.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed in a one bedoom apartment. The room is clean and well maintained. The location is gd, harbourtown outlet shopping is just opposite. A bit of downside is the number of parking lots, quite limited.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Definitely as a frequent tripadvisor review junkie, I kept reading past reviews of the place and was wondering if to consider this place at all..(frankly i was a bit hesitant after reading the negative reviews!) But, thankfully, we decided to give the place a try because it was a wonderful experience! We (family of 4 adults and 3 little babies) arrived late at night (2a.m) to be precised but the guy who welcomed us in, the night guard, Ridzuan, was still all smiles and cheery. He knew we were all tired so gave us a quick welcome (he was a fellow Singaporean Malay which was fantastic!) and checked us in! Thanks Ridzuan! We popped into our 2 bedroom apartment, fully furnished with a dryer and washer which was so useful with the babies around! Throughout the stay the DVD player also entertained our kids whilst the adults cooked some decent meals on the full kitchen! Oh yes, parking was also fully complimentary and for a place so near to the Perth CBD, this was just great! Right across the road was harbourtown shopping centre (discount outlets for EVERYTHING under the sun!) and that was so convenient! We were so happy with the first few days of our stay that after we came back from Margaret River, we decided to spend our last days in Perth back at City Stay again! Overall, a very good choice!Value for money at $ AUD 159 per night for a 2 bedroom apartment so close to the city! Saw quite a number of fellow Singaporeans there too and it made for a sort of comfort zone for us. Thanks City Stay! Thanks Ridzuan! :) Rizal, Rosza, Hairil & Sab

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family