“Excellent place for families to stay in Perth”

City Stay Apartment Hotel
Ranked #49 of 65 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I came to Perth with a group of 14 people and booked 3 x 2-bedroom apartments for 4 days at City Stay.

Two big plus points for City Stay was that it was one of the very few places in Perth where you can actually find a kitchen in each apartment, complete with appliances and utensils. There is an induction oven, toaster, electrical hotpot, rice cooker etc. Breakfast, lunch and dinner was never a problem here.

The second plus point was that the apartment has a washing machine and dryer for your clothes. A complete home-away-from-home experience.

Also a small kidney-shaped swimming pool and a jacuzzi is available. Parking is free for guests.

Directly opposite the building is the Harbour Town, a shopping mall for clothes and apparel. The place was not quite far from City Centre (you can take a 20 min walk or hop on a free shuttle bus).

Wifi service was excellent and speed was superfast. They come in various inexpensive packages.

The staff were helpful, warm and friendly and we do not have any problem while staying there for 4 days.

The reception desk closed after 7pm, but you can call them from your room. If you need a cab at night, there is a phone which is connected to a cab company to send you one pronto.

I did a survey on my group after their stay and everyone agree that their visit to Perth was a memorable one thanks to City Stay for the excellent accommodation service.

Most recommended!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Arifeign
There are newer reviews for City Stay Apartment Hotel

Reviewed 15 October 2011

We stayed in a two bedroom apartment for the first three nights of our visit to Western Australia. The decor is basic with yellow brick walls but it had all the facilities need for a short stay. You get what you pay for in this central Perth location. I think it could become a little depressing for a longer stay.

The front desk staff were warm and welcoming and there is a small grocery store in the front lobby. The CBD location is great, right across from a large factory outlet store mall, close to the train station for trips to Fremantle and a bus stop for the free CBD bus service outside the front door.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Bowness6
Reviewed 25 June 2011

We checked into the City Stay on advice from our travel agent and even though I know that we booked the last room available I have to say that I was disappointed. So disappointed that my husband and I made the decision to lose two nights worth of money at the City Stay to move somewhere else. Before I get into what I didn't like I will say this, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the apartment that we checked into was clean, and cleaner in fact than some high class hotels that I have stayed in. So what is your problem I hear you ask...well the answer is, that there was nothing aesthetically pleasing about our two bedroom apartment. It was on the first floor and the outlook was of a busy "T" intersection. The couch was vinyl, the colour scheme was unappealing and it was all just a little shabby. It just didn't feel nice and when I'm on holidays I want to feel nice. I found myself trying to justify staying there and the best that I could come up with was - at least it has its own washer and dryer. So I suppose it just depends what you are looking for, but my husband and I agree that the City Stay wasn't for us.

1  Thank cheekysmle
Reviewed 24 June 2011

We stayed here the first 3 nights of our holiday to Western Australia, and again on the last night before heading to the airport. It is a pleasant self-catering apartment hotel, with friendly and professional counter staff, and a little grocery corner for one to pick up a frozen meal or milk. There is free parking, though the spaces are tight (we had a Hyundai Elantra), so big cars beware. We stayed in a 2 room apartment, which was perfectly adequate for our family of 5. The shower works, and has enough water pressure, the stove heats up fast, there is a microwave, fridge/freezer. Kids TV available (with good reception) when you need it. Best of all was the washing machine and dryer, which was a godsend. No fuss, good price - I would stay here again when in Perth, though I agree with a previous reviewer about the windows not being childsafe.

1  Thank t0tleybrook
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My family and I stayed her for 1 night in June 2011 to attend a health appointment in Perth. Our kids are aged 8, nearly 2 and 7 months.

Our 2 bedroom apartment was on the 2nd floor at the rear of the hotel complex, so the noise of Wellington street didn't bother us too much. This was a good point about the location of the room. However, being right next to the outdoor/indoor smoking area was not ideal!

All of the windows in the apartment were an absolute danger to children or anyone leaning against the fly wire, for you would fall out the window and onto the cement carpark below dead! The glass windows could not be locked, there were no workable locking components on the windows, the fly wire screens were no longer of any use, to prevent the entry of flies! as they did not even sit in their frames correctly. On making this known to the reception staff, they offered to move us to another room, but could not guarantee that even those windows to that room would be safe for children. We were also told that as it was a Sunday and they would not be able to call out a maintence person to fix the windows... We were given a complimentry bottle of wine to compensate for the windows, by the very nice front office staff, but overall Not impressed by the situationAT ALL. Came very close to moving onto another hotel, but after the 3 hours drive to Perth with little kids we just didn't have the energy.

After some problem solving we decided to stuff a wad of paper in the base of each windows track to stop the window from opening.. this worked and we were able to rid the idea of our 2 year old falling to his death in the night. We would never stay here again because of this issue. The windows on all the rooms in the entire building must comply with Australian safety standards and our room certainly did not and had not for quite some time. This is a disaster waiting to happen...

And as for the king size bed - it's 2 singles put together... very cheap... and so it was for $155 per night...

Not recommended for famillies with small children.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the complex
4  Thank starfishgalaxy
Reviewed 2 June 2011

Travelling with the family is hard if you have more than 2 children. I needed to make a trip to Perth to take my middle child to a specialist in Subiaco. I searched on trip Advisor etc for a room for us all to come and stay the night. None would allow 5 persons in unless you wanted to pay $400-500 which, to be honest is a joke. Then I stumbled across the City Stay Apartment Hotel. I thought that it was a great location: opposite Harbour town, on the yellow CAT bus route, close to the CBD and Subiaco and we were driving so needed a car park and it had free car parking undercover.
I was surprised to only pay $109 a night for a 2 bedroom apartment! I was a bit unsure after reading reviews on Trip Advisor but what some reviewers were expecting for only $100 odd in Perth I do not know! Perth is notoriously expensive.
I do think the bedrooms could have cooling for summer but for the price range it exceeded my expectations by a mile!

So we checked in, very friendly. Parked and made our way to the room. Everything looked clean. Got to our room in the back of the complex (room 314) and I was pleasantly surpised! It was very clean, tidy, well furnished with a clean kitchen, fridge, microwave and a full laundry which came in handy even for the one night! The bathroom was small but functional. Beds were clean and comfy. There were fans in the bedrooms and a wall mounted a/c in the living area. New TV and new lounge, dining table and chairs. All the utensils etc were clean.
There is no room service ( you can get brekky) but there was a very well priced small shop in the foyer to by food basics like bread, milk etc
I think it is a bargain hotel. It is not flashy, but it is clean and secure. I usually stay in 4 plus star hotels and well this was cleaner than many of them! I have stayed in every state except Tassie and in Perth you could do MUCH worse!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the complex
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank WaCal
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I picked this Hotel for 3 reasons. 1) the Playground, 2) cooking facilities and 3) The location.
The Playground far exceeded my expectations(photos attached) I travelled with my teenage daughters and my niece's 4 children 10 - 4 yo. I was expecting a smallish playground, so was very shock to see the large size of it. It was really Magical, even the 7Yo said it was magical. Lots of nooks and crannies to explore. With a BBQ and lots of tables, we had 2 dinners there and also cooked pancakes for Brekkie one morning. With 4 very run a about kids to keep occupied the playground was just perfect.
2)cooking facilities- They were okay in the room. The 2 bedrooms have their own laundry. This was great for my niece and her 4 kids. I used the dryer a lot to dry our towels.
3)Location- Just great, 2 FREE bus stops out from Perth. 1 train station out. The bus stops right next to the Hotel and across the road. The hotel is across the road from Harbour Town. Great place to shop, but no supermarket there. The hotel does have quite a reasonable grocery shop. My niece even bought made up rolls from the freezer to heat up for her 4 kids. I noticed a pile of freezer food to heat up.

The cons- as previous reviews have noted about the noise. I'm a light sleeper and door bangings did wake me up as did some noise on the Saturday night. Once the weekend was over it wasn't too bad. I can note though I remember door bangings at Crown casino Hotel in Melbourne, and that is a 5 1/2 start Hotel!
yes there wasn't room maintenance, but not a lot of hotel change sheets etc. these days. I changed a few towels along the way. My niece did ask for some more coffee, and on her 2nd request she was knocked back. I thought that was a bit mean!

On our arrival I was told that my niece had the room next to ours- I was rapt as I was hoping for anything just on our floor. But when my niece checked in the following night she was moved to 2 floors above us, way at the other end. I was told that the person in her room asked to stay another night, so they let him, and moved my niece even though I had notes on my file requesting that we be together(or at least near each other). I ranted and raved and after about 1/2 hour or so they said that my niece can have her original room back the next day. When it came to changing rooms there was no mention of her changing, after more ranting and raving she finally got changed. As I hadn't seen my niece and the kids in over 2 years, I really needed for us to be close etc.

Room Tip: Great Play ground and Great Location
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family