“Not bad”
Review of Mercure Perth

Mercure Perth
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Perth
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Situated in the town centre, easy walk to the shops restaurants and buses. Nice hotel good reception staff, decent buffet breakfast included in our deal, but coffee a bit weak. Not worth paying extra for; plenty of cafes nearby a good one down the hill under the hotel.. Certainly not worth $28 if that's what another contributor paid.
Underground parking. Lobby Bar only open at night, attached café open all day. Prices are high, give it a miss.
Room was fine, Kettle, cups ironing board etc. WI FI is an extra and expensive, why do they charge? Free computer in lobby for hotel guests,
I would stay again but its no better or worse than similar hotels. 3.5 stars

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt Y, General Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2014

Dear Jo G,

Thank you for the review.

I am pleased to hear the reception staff made you feel welcome and its great that you enjoyed our location.

We offer 30 minutes complimentary WIFI in our public areas so I hope you are able to make use of this on your next stay.

I will pass your feedback to our food and beverage team about the weak coffee... I know how important good coffee is!

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Matt Young

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed 3 nights and it was lovely. Location was walking distance to most of the places I wanted to go within the city and there was free public buses to hop on/off.

The valet parking works really well and very convenient. But when I tried to park my car at the carpark myself, the room key doesn't work to open the barriers and there were no intercom for me at the carpark gantry to call for help. Had to leave the car there and go back to the lobby and get help from Concierge.

Had a room with windows facing outside but I think it was looking towards the building beside it so there isn't much view to ask for. I noticed there were rooms without no windows!!

I did not try breakfast in the hotel but it didn't seems to be crowded. I suspect there were many options available within walking distance anyway.

I thought the exhaust fan in my toilet wasn't working as it wasn't extracting air and was quiet. The maintenance staff checked and confirmed that it was in order because the "fan was in the roof". I was on the 3rd floor and I think this hotel was like 8-10 storeys high, if this was true, then the exhaust at the roof will not be effective at all. So the toilet was kinda stuffy and moist during my 3 nights. Something I felt wasn't normal given my experience with hotels.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Matt Y, General Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Dear SporeSamSeng,

Thank you for your review.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay.
I will pass your feedback on to all our teams mentioned.

I have been informed that we were experiencing difficulties with our exhaust fans over the weekend however this is now rectified and in working order.

Hopefully you get the chance to have breakfast on your next visit.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

There was nothing special. It was ok. The room not bad. The sheets clean. The toilet would not stop flushing. The restaurant seriously overpriced.

The bathroom door hits the shower glass badly and I panicked whenever I entered the bathroom.

Overall comfortable bug maybe 3.5 stars. Definitely not 4 stars.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Matt Y, Front Office Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Ward Zone,

Thank you for taking time to write a review.

I am sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured I will share your feedback with the team and we will continue to monitor feedback to ensure we are providing a superior service for all our guests.

Nicky Copper
Front Office Manager
Mercure Perth

Reviewed 19 February 2014

My partner and I stayed at the Mercure Hotel over the Valentines Day weekend.
We arrived Friday night about 11pm and the lady on the front desk upgraded our room!! Great start since we got a really good deal through Wotif anyway.
They valet parked our car for $35 per night.
We walked into our room to find a king bed, coffee machine a very spacious room and bathrobe and slippers. The bed was very comfy and there was no outside noise (like some hotels have in Perth, or you can hear road works/workers on buildings in the morning)
The following morning we had a beautiful buffet breakfast which was $28 per person but there was sooo much to choose from and all the food we had was very good.
The hotel is in a great location and only about a 5 minute walk to Hay Street and Murray Street Malls.
We checked out the roof top pool later that day, it was very busy but it was clean and a very nice area to relax.
Sunday morning we checked out only to find they only charged us for 1 night valet parking and 1 person for breakfast even though we stated there was two of us and the lady seen there us.

So thanks Mercure for an awesome weekend and all the freebies. We will definitely be coming back and recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Matt Y, General Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Dear Teleah1988,

Thank you for your detailed review.
Your comments are very much appreciated.

Its great to hear the team were able to look after you so well especially on Valentines Day.

I am pleased you were able to enjoy the in room little extras such as the Nespresso coffee machine and the bathrobes and it seems the weather was perfect to use the rooftop pool.

I am pleased you will be returning to the hotel.
We look forward to welocming you back.

Matt Young

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Perth is a lovely place, i lived there for 6m back in 1990. This time was Dec 2013 for the cricket so we had 3 rooms at the Mercure. It is certainly not flash, and really stretches the limits of basics. It served our purpose as we just slept there and left for another day and night on the sauce at the WACA. It is very hard to recommend this place to anyone for anything other than if you had to work in the city on a business trip, (but make plans to go out every night), but all Perth hotels are the same, they are all outdated, under occupied and not worth renovating i am afraid.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Matt Y, General Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear dave b,

Thank you for posting a review.

I understand your feedback about the decor in the hotel and we have had exciting changes in the hotel year to date. Our lobby area is now refurbished and the colourful furniture really adds to the atmosphere. We are also finalising quotes to have our restaurant refurbished and we hope to have this underway soon.

I am pleased you found our location handy for your daily trips to the WACA.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure during the next ashes test!

Reviewed 15 February 2014

We checked in around midnight after a long flight from East Coast. As an Accor member, I requested the one man attendant to consider an upgrade. He was courteous and assigned a “Priveleged room”, which was really not an upgrade, since it was the same as a Superior Room booked by us, except for one bathrobe laying on the bed. The room, considered average, had an appropriately stacked mini fridge and the normal essentials like coffee etc.
Housekeeping was poor. When we returned to our room the second day, the milk mixer was left uncleaned. The second day, part of the coffee machine appliance was left in the bathroom, and the face towels had not been replaced. Sloppy at best, obviously with no room inspections after cleaning.
But our worst experience, by far, was the concierge at the front desk, who made it blatantly obvious that he really did not wish to be bothered. Our first experience was to make an enquiry as to where we could find a nice breakfast place nearby the hotel. He showed annoyance in suggesting the wharf area, quickly drawing a line from the hotel across a park, leading to the wharf. Upon leaving the hotel, it became apparent that you cannot walk through the park, so with the help of a local, we were directed to streets leading to the wharf. Upon arriving at the wharf, there were no establishments open for breakfast. Now, the wharf is within proximity to the hotel, and for a concierge not to have this knowledge is bazaar. So, we found an establishment elsewhere. Upon returning to the hotel, I pointed this out to the Concierge, who showed no interest whatsoever, with no apology.
I felt compelled to call the Hotel Manager to express my dismay at the attitude of the Concierge, only to have the Concierge answer the phone. He offered several reasons for the Manager was not there, or being unavailable, so I finally asked if he existed. After pursuit, I received a call from the Duty Manager, who apologized. Frankly, we have never experienced such poor and rude attitude from any hotel Service representative, and we have dealt with many over the years, both privately and for business.
The second night we decided to eat in, and ordered room service. The vegetable pizza lacked any fresh vegetables, everything being from canned foods, and the bread crust was luke warm and undercooked. Very poor. The salads were fresh and enjoyable. The delivery lacked any cutlery, so we called down requesting this, but it took so long that we had finished the meal (salad) sharing one fork!
Overall, we had a very poor and disappointing experience. Frankly, I would not consider staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Consider looking elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AussieAloha
Matt Y, Front Office Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Dear Robert M,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I would like to offer my sincerest apologies about your experience. At Mercure we strive to provide the best possible customer service experience, therefore your feedback is very concerning. Please rest assured that your feedback is taken seriously and we will investigate the issues raised further with the team to prevent future occurence.

I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Mercure.

Nicky Copper
Front Office Manager, Mercure Perth

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Booked through a website and arrived at the hotel to find my room had been upgraded, nice. Staff were very friendly and helpful and more staff on during peak times ie. check out. Since my last visit, free TV and heating to the pool has been added. Some aspects of the hotel are looking a bit tired ie, tile chipping, worn carpet but it is still at an acceptable level. Location of hotel is very central and within walking distance to most major attractions and public transport. I would recommend this hotel for business or leisure. Thanks Mercure

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Matt Y, General Manager at Mercure Perth, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Cassandra B,

Thank you for posting a review and thank you for the recommendation.

I am pleased you enjoyed the room upgrade.

We hope to welcome you back soon.