“Average - not again for the price”
Review of Mercure Perth

Mercure Perth
Ranked #23 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney
“Average - not again for the price”
Reviewed 11 June 2010

I am travelling for work so do not pay my own bills but still this place was expensive for what it is and what you get. I guess Perth is just an expensive place to stay. The room was ok, refurbished quite well and looked like modern 4 star accommodation. The rooms are also a good size. However, the bathroom has not been refurbished and is old - rusting fittings and that type of thing, well passed its used-by date, very bad shower. At least it was clean. Also the irons in the room was rubbish making it hard to press a shirt. The location is good and the staff were friendly. My colleague had the breakfast and felt ill after, I went to the cafe down the street as I didnt like the look of what was on offer.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
West Yorkshire
Reviewed 10 June 2010

a lovely hotel in an excellent location. rooms spacious and modern and a lovely private pool at the top of the hotel. enjoyed the stay!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Netherlands
Reviewed 14 May 2010

The problem with the mercure is that there is an enormous variation in the quality of their hotels worldwide.
Mercure Perth charges 1, 5 % when paying by creditcard, they did not tell us when we made the reservation.
Secondly we hade a confirmed booking including breakfast, guess what we saw on our invoice when checking out. They charged for breakfast.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank hetsen
Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel with a friend. On arrival at the hotel, the staff were very friendly and efficient and they allowed us to check into our room 2 hours early. I thought this would be the start of a fabulous hotel stay until we checked into our room. We had requested a superior room however it was not at all superior. The rooms were clean and quite large however it was very outdated. The bathroom looked terribly old and the toilet didn't flush properly. The shower was a nightmare to use because the water sprayed everywhere and the shower head could not be moved. It was almost impossible to hop into the shower without flooding the floor. It was probably the worst shower i have ever used. My biggest complaint about the hotel was the privacy of the rooms. The walls were paper thin and we could hear everything that was said in the rooms next door. When someone turned on the TV or went to the toilet or shower we could hear everything! There is also limited car parking near the hotel so you are forced to pay for a hotel car park. Expect to pay $28 per night for car parking. I believe this hotel is over priced and in need of a desperate renovation.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank kippers7
melbourne
Reviewed 23 April 2010

Hotel is good with great service, good facilities and nice restaurant. Though at almost $300 a night it is over priced.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2010

My first trip to Perth and was staying for 20 nights, mainly carrying out business around St. Georges Terrace, so excellent location. I found it lacking in personality, very little atmosphere, although I think that probably reflected Perth as a city - if you want a party city, Perth aint it... Previous reviewer correct about internet charges - vert expensive - I tried to speak to the manager about it and come to some arrangement, however absolutely no flexibility...ended up buying a vodafone usb - much better.
Room was very acceptable - plenty of room, although I was in the east tower which appeared to be the newer of the 2 towers - the eastern looked a bit worn. Pool was good up top - not too busy and sheltered.
If I returned, knowing what I know now, I'd probably go for somewhere with a bit more atmosphere and more helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Tokyo
Reviewed 18 April 2010

I come quite often to Perth but the hotel I always stay was booked out for the weekend. So had to stay at this Hotel.

My impression is, way way over priced.
Especially, Internet connection is a disaster. It charges you 27 Aussie dollors but put you constrains after 100MB connection (about 10 minutes of Youtube watch). Why do I have to pay for that if I need to bear constrains to the connection?

Unable to move showerhead which is facing to someone size of a 10 years old.

No vegetable at all at breakfast.

Very small fitness gym with equipment more than assumably 20 yeard old. Gym is only open from 7 AM to 9 PM.

I have no idea why this hotel is ranked with 4stars.
I would never stay here again. I will not recomend anyone to stay.
I want to stay where I get what I pay for.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business