“Average”

Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Perth, Australia
“Average”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Booked a night in the city for a special occasion. Thought the Duxton would be a good choice, it was nice. However did not meet my expectations for a supposedly 5 star property. Service was average and rooms were very basic. Breakfast was the highlight. Served in a much classier section f the hotel, there was great variety and very fresh. If you were to stay, I would highly recommend the breakfast, but don't have too high hopes for a luxurious 5 star stay.

Room Tip: River views make it a little more worth it.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K1r5tyd
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Dear K1r5tyd,

I appreciate the time your have taken to review the hotel. I treat all feedback in a postive manner. The hotel has undertaken a refurbishment programe over the 5 years and this will continue for another 3 months and possible beyond. I do hope that you have the opportunity to experience our changes in the future. The Firewater Grille is experiencing excellent reviews, glad you enjoyed the breakfast.

Kind Regards

Bruce G. Doig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This is a good hotel for the price. Much nicer than the chain one, just around the corner which is the same price - the Duxton just has a more luxurious feel throughout. The pool area is great for cooling off and its right next to the lovely gardens along the swan river. Just a short stroll to the shops. Perfect for a short stay in Perth before hitting the road north.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Dear Sallie B,

Thank you for choosing the Duxton Hotel Perth for your stay in Perth. We appreciate all comments, I was glad to read that we are your preferred hotel and that you were extremely comfortable.
I will ensure that the team recieves a copy of your review. Have a safe trip and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This hotel is excellent, so much so that Emirates Airlines put their pilots here when they have a stopover, that says it all!! Excellent for sightseeing I.e. Kings Park, the Swan River, the Belltower just to name a few. Also excellent for shopping from bargain shopping to high end designer shopping. Only 20 minutes from Perth International Airport and right in the heart of Perth CBD. Expensive, but all hotels in Perth are not cheap!!

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the Swan River otherwise you'll be looking down St George's T...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Dear Mark D,

I was pleased to read your review, thank you for your kind words and I will ensure that the Duxton Team also have the opportunity to also read your review.

Kind Regards

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

This hotel has everything going for it. Only minutes walking distance from the beautiful swan river and an easy stroll to the business & shopping districts. The restaurant will not disappoint either. My only negative about the Duxton is that the rooms could be better sound proofed. The sound of mobile phones, ringing, conversations and cleaners in adjoining rooms can definitely be heard.

• Stayed June 2013
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Dear Petracca,

Thank you for your positive review of the hotel. I appreciate your concerns over the noise which you have mentioned and I am currently conducting an audit to identify any sound proofing issues.

I am glad that the Duxton Hotel is your preferred choice and we will ensure that your expectations are met everytime. Thank you once again for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back soon

Bruce Doig
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I am currently two days into a four day stay celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary and we couldn't have chosen better! We are staying in a club room which gives access to the club lounge where you can experience delicious canopes as you watch the sun set over the river. The breakfast here is first class and nothing is too much trouble.
From the moment we set foot in the door we have received the most amazing service. The lovely young lady with the Irish accent who checked us in is a delight and always takes the time to check everything is okay every time we see her. It is the sort of service you used to get in Sydney ten years ago which seems to have faded.
Our room is very spacious and quiet with free wifi. The bathroom is huge and tasteful. The bed is so comfortable and the lounge equally so.
I would fly back to Perth just to stay here again! It will be very hard to leave in two days time! Stay at the Duxton if you want to enjoy being made to feel very special.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Trudyr1,

I was delighted to read your review. Thank you so much for the praise and I will ensure that the entire team is aware of your comments and satifaction with the service and the hotel overall.
Thank you for selecting The Duxton Hotel perth and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Sincerely

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I recently stayed here for two nights. The staff were welcoming and attentive and certainly addressed my concerns regarding early morning noise. However, the hotel is looking tired and Im surprised that it has a 5 star rating.
We were also unimpressed that we had to pay to park the hire car. We would have appreciated being told this at the time of booking, when we booked many weeks beforehand.
The breakfast in the hotel dining room was very good.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lyn F
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 23 June 2013
Dear Lyn F,

I appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at the hotel. I read with surprise about your comment the hotel is tired, if you would not mind, I would like some further clarification on your comment so I can get your specific views why you you beleive the hotel is tired. I am contactable on my email address:-
gm@perth.duxton.com.au
I appreciate your comments also on valet parking charge and I will ensure that our team are aware to ensure that all our guests are informed accordingly. I will also pass on your comments on the good service and attentiveness of the staff, also I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your breakfast at the Firewater Grille.

Hopefully we are able to be of service to you in the future..

Bruce Doig
MELBOURNE
Reviewed 22 June 2013

We booked a Club Room level Suite for 2 nights to attend a Perth family wedding. The Duxton has renovated what was the old Tax Dept building so there were constraints to work with. Rooms are spacious and very well furnished but all the suites back onto the elevator shafts which are noisy and woke us from several times throughout the night. We asked to move first thing next morning and the staff were very helpful in re-locating us immediately.
The buffet breakfast is plentiful and varied with a lot of staff on hand to take orders and clear away tables. The pool and spa area is small but a nice addition to an old building especially in Perth in mid-summer. Club level facilities are adequate. Sitting in the cosy Club room with miniature windows overlooking the gorgeous Swan river made me feel like running across the lawn and diving into the water. We did not have time to eat in the dining room but the menu looked appealing. All staff we engaged with were excellent to deal with.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms by lift shaft unless you sleep like a log!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear ANN K,

Thank you for your comments on the excellence in service that that you experienced and I will ensure that the Team recieved the necessary commendation for their efforts.
It is with reget you did not have the opportunity to enjoy the new Firewater Grill it is absoultely superb, maybe next time when you visit.
It is always challenging when refurbishing an exsisting building there are restrictions and I feel that the building was refurbished with appeal and grace at that time. I am glad that your room was comfortable yet spacious.
I appreciate your time and kind words. Hopefully we have the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

Sincerely