“Comfortable stay but no wow factor”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #15 of 81 Hotels in Perth
Dundee
“Comfortable stay but no wow factor”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Stayed here for 10 days on a business trip...at $310 per night with no breakfast ($38 each for breakfast in addition)...pricey....be aware it also costs an additional $40 per day to park your car at this hotel.Location was very good as it was easy to walk into the CBD and the riverfront and also to use the free bus service around the city and get to the train station. The hotel has seen some recent refurbishment but the shower although spotless and well maintained was very dated and having to juggle the hot and cold tap to get the right temperature was a challenge and there was little pressure to wash hair......no opening windows (possibly for safety)...the pool is beautiful and the loungers very comfortable however its very small and only 2 or 3 people can get a lounger in the sun at any one time...topless sunbathing also seems to be permitted....customer service was first class, the Grille Restaurant produced the best steak we have had in years...and the hotel is spotlessly clean. Not sure about security since anyone can take the lifts to any floor, you dont need a card to access the lift which is unusual these days. Undecided if we would stay again but if location is your priority then its great

Room Tip: Rooms with river view are amazing....
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Rosie506Dundee,

I appreciate your valuable time to provide feedback about your recent 10 day stay with us. I was glad to read the the Firewater Grille provided the best steak you have ever had, this is the high standard we set out to achieve, the meat the we serve is from Treeton Farm Margaret River in our Southwest and the quality is MSA grade 1.

We have investigated your water pressure and temperature and this has been rectified, I apologise for the incovenience that this caused you. I have also passed on you comment pertaining to the cleanliness of the hotel to the team and passed on my appreciation for their consistent efforts.

I do hope we are able to be of service to you in the future and once again thank you for selecting the Duxton Hotel for your recent business stay.

Regards

Bruce G. Doig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

This is one of the older 'grand' hotels of Perth, a welcome bit of historical respite in this rapidly developing city, riding high the mining boom. It is very central, you can walk to most downtown areas and is close to riverside parks for a decent morning walk or jog. Rooms were pretty good and generally the interior standards of comfort and service matched the expectations from the imposing exterior image. I only ate breakfast, which was fine but the waiting service forgot to bring the coffee I ordered, until I reminded them, and when I asked for soymilk, it was also promised it but alas it was again forgotten, so they can tighten their act up there.

Room Tip: Cant beat a room looking over the river area
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear GingerCheetah,

Thank you for your description of the hotel, welldone! I appreciate your feedback on the coffee and soya milk service and I have taken the necessary steps to ensure better cocnsistency in service standards in the future.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Thank you for your valuable time.

Kind Regards

Bruce Doig
perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

Stayed overnight as we were attending a concert in Perth. The staff were excellent all very friendly and welcoming. The room a twin was not huge but extremely clean and very comfortable. The bathroom had a separate shower and bath and was also spotlessly clean. The rooms decor was a little tired and as we were on lower floor the view was limited however we could see a glimpse of the river, but we weren't in the city to stay all day in our room and we had a great rate so we were very happy. We would definitely stay again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear sueom,

I was glad to read that your stay was pleasant and I appreciate your reference to the cleanliness of your room. I will ensure that the room attendant responsible received the proper commendation as well as the team in general.
Thankyou for selecting the Duxton Hotel and we look forawrd to welcoming you back in the future.

Warm Regards
Bruce Doig
Perth WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed here for 1 night as a little overnight getaway. From arriving at the hotel we were greeted by a gentleman who parked our car, he was very pleasant. The check in staff could not have done enough to make us feel welcome. The room was fantastic and set out wonderfully also very clean. We had dinner at the Firewater Grille and again the staff were so friendly and professional. Breakfast was the same and had an amazing buffet with plenty to choose from. We have stayed at many hotels but this one was by far our favorite. Overall a fabulous stay, wish we had longer.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Dear GemmaWA,

I am glad that you stay was fabulous. I was pleased to read that the entire team ensured that you were looked after in the Duxton way.
I will ensure that the team recieves a copy of your review and also I will ensure that my personal commendation is passed on for their wonderful service efforts to make your stay a memorable one.
Hopefully next time you are able to stay longer.

Sincerely

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I was really pleased with the Duxton. The hotel has a great feel to it and the service is great, they really make you feel welcome and special. The rooms are a good size, very comfortable. The food is good and the location is also a positive

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Craig H,

Thank you for your positive review on the hotel and the services. I will ensure that the team are commended for their efforts.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

It is a great hotel - just getting a few "dog eared" signs. Terrific location and very good staff. Very good for our purpose of a National Conference - plenty of room and good common areas. New restaurant area is excellent.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dear AshJones24,

Sir, thank you very much for your wonderful review of the hotel and I will ensure that the team are aware of your comments especially your experience at the Firewater Grille.

Kind Regards

Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel twice. When I stayed at the Hotel suite first time, the hotel room was good with water views, The next time when I stayed at the hotel at a standard room, the hotel room was so so (considering high room rates). The restaurant in general is terrible, in terms of service level. In particular, when you choose the hotel restaurant at the Lobby (Ground Floor), you cannot expect good services.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Marcus567
Dear Marcus567,

In all due respect Sir, your remarks maybe valid although it is difficult for me to address the issues that you have raised with purpose. I would like to discuss with you specifics pertaining to your issues. I would be glad to hear from you and I will ensure that I am available to discuss the points raised as a matter of urgency.

Sincerely