“Hotel is lovely but service?”
Review of Duxton Hotel

Duxton Hotel
Ranked #14 of 64 Hotels in Perth
Sydney
“Hotel is lovely but service?”
Reviewed 9 December 2013

We stayed at the Duxton Hotel for our first getaway in Perth after reading some of the reviews on trip advisor. The hotel is in the CBD of Perth and is a 5 – 10 minute walk from most areas of the CBD.

The hotel foyer décor is old style marble and looks wonderful. Very fresh for an old style building.

The valet service is great and they were friendly throughout our stay even waving at us as we passed by in the tour bus. Reception is friendly and checked us in nice and quick – they do take $300 from your card for incidentals, mini bar etc so keep that in mind. (Maybe standard for Perth?)

We got a spa room on the 6th floor with a great view of the water across the tops of the buildings. The room was set in the same décor as the hotel and was really nice. The room itself is set in a funny C shape. The bedroom is in one section and then you walk down a corridor to the marbled bathroom. Makes it hard if your partner is asleep as there are only the two main areas so nowhere you can just sit and relax without bothering them (unless you sit in the chair at the business desk?).

The wife decided to have a spa so after ages of filling it up (low water pressure) got in and turned it on – Clouds of black crap and bits of sludge came shooting out. She jumped out like a rocket as you would expect nearly crashing down from slipping on the marble floor. The spa looked like an octopus had had a fight in there. The wife emptied the spa and tried again but yet again the spa filled with a little less crap. After complaining to reception they moved us to the 2nd floor, same style room but the view was blocked by the buildings. The Duxton would state that you could still see the water and yes you could still see the water but just between the buildings – definitely not what we expected or though that we had paid for. We tried booking into another hotel for the second night but everywhere was booked. Motto is don’t complain at the Duxton as you will be downgraded! You would have thought you would get an upgrade after putting up with that!!!

The hotel has all the hallmarks and amenities of a 5 star with its gym, pool etc but that is where it all ends.

The bar in the hotel is your usual style bar with a small menu etc and is pleasant and cozy but the staff don’t smile. They all looked like they wanted to be somewhere else?

We thought that we would try dinner in the restaurant and the same issue, everyone (except a few) looked like they wanted to be anywhere but here serving. The staff all look like they have been poached from 3 and 4 star places as it was almost like Fawlty Towers the way the staff zombie’d around trying to work out what to do. There is a strong need for focus and training in “attention to detail”. The food itself was average.

Breakfast on the other hand was excellent with a wide variety of choices and a fabulous omelette but again the staff just don’t want to be there

The hotel “is” beautiful and has been well maintained but looks like they must have new management in town as the cracks are starting to appear – both doors in our bathroom were swollen and splintered from water damage from some time ago. That and being delegated to a substandard room (by the customer’s standards – not Duxtons) as well as the staff in the bar and dinner areas who do not seem trained to 5 star standards it looks like a crisis is in the making. It needs to be pulled in line before it completely goes out the window.

Summing up would I stay there again? I would recommend it to someone who does not care about 5 star service as you cannot argue it is a very nice hotel but I would not stay there again on principle - being downgraded, and the lack of even a fake smile or 5 star attention to detail is an issue. You pay the money you expect the service.

There are so many accommodation choices around Perth and travel is relatively quick and easy so review tripadvisor.com.au for what you are after. Duxton “is” a nice looking hotel but service and attention to detail is lacking - and they don’t accept QANTAS frequent flyers.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear Nev64,

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your review and I treat all feedback in a positive manner as well as the opportunity to correct any issues that you have raised. We will continue to strive forward and with all opportunity comes the challenge of improvement. I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience our improvements.

Bruce G. Doig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Perth
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I recently stayed here with two work friends as we had a Christmas dinner in Perth. Let me say that before I walked in Jesse out the front was very welcoming and that just set the tone for the rest of the staff very nice. Check in was very quick. We booked a club room and was not disappointed it was large and as we had a roll out and two large queen size beds and still had plenty of room to move around. I found the pillows to be a bit soft for my liking but the bed was very comfortable and was told that the roll out was also comfy. The only thing to pick on was that the shower head wasn't very good. But it was nice to see that housekeeping went the extra step and had three of every thing in the bathroom as I have shared three to a room before and there was only two of everything and had to ring for extras. We used the club lounge before we went out and the service and food was excellent and a view to die for. We had breakfast included and decided to have in the main restaurant as we were advised that there was a bigger choice, the only downside was that there was a queue to wait for a table a suggestion you should put a sign up to the egg man we didn't know he was there till we finished. Check out was fast and it was very, very busy also the valet staff were so fast getting cars to the customers and then there was Jesse again he saw me sitting out the front waiting for my lift and asked if he could help witch I declined, so while I was waiting I was watching all the staff out the front and let me say Duxton they are the best I have seen in Perth and I have stayed at all the top hotels here they are a credit to your hotel as first impressions are everything as they set the tone of your stay.

I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: If staying in club ask for a river view
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Balihi65,

I appreciate your review and it is always pleasing to read that our guests have had a wonderful stay. Thank you so much for your comments of detail and I will ensure that Jesse and the Team get the commendation that they deserve.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Kind Regards

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Duxton as part of a work function. On arrival the valet parking staff were quick to respond and the check in was smooth. The room was clean and spacious. Dinner was really nice. The bed was really comfortable and the block out curtains heavy to allow a nice long sleep-in! There is a pillow menu and free wi-fi. Breakfast included a huge delicious selection of hot and cold food. All the staff were polite. The only downside was a long wait for a room check on check-out. After waiting in the lobby for 15 minutes I gave up and went for breakfast and finalised proceedings after my meal. Next time I'll go for an express check-out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear funferall,

I am pleased that your stay was very comfortable. We have placed alot of emphasis on the comfort of our bed and the refurbishment of the rooms in general. Express checkout is a great service to ensure a no wait situation, Sunday morning are huge checkout day and it was also pleasing to read the you enjoyed the Firewater Grille for breakfast.

Wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy Safe new Year.

Warm Regards

Merseyside
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Everything over good - impressive lobby, lovely view of the Swan River from our room. Good choice at breakfast. The most memorable thing about this hotel was the wonderful bed and pillows - I am a poor sleeper and usually wake several timed a night, however got a full night of uninterrupted sleep here - possibly due to the amazingly comfortable bed.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Joan R,

Thank you for your review. I was pleased to read that you had a wonderful sleep on our beautiful beds. We are proud of what we have achieved with our bedding and we are getting such positive reviews on our beds and our guests are experiencing the best nights sleep ever.

Wishing your a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Warm Regards

Bruce G Doig
Reviewed 27 November 2013

From the moment I walked into the Duxton the staff were friendly and efficient. The rooms were superb, very clean and comfortable with the added bonus of free wifi that was quick. The facilities were excellent and enjoyed the gym and the pool. The restuarant was efficient and the food second to none and would recommend anyone eating there as a non resident.
The shower was a little disappointing and to be fair is the only thing that was not excellent. I just wish that I could have stayed the rest of my trip there but sadly there wasn't the availability and moved to a far lesser hotel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Appleshag,

I appreciate your kind positive words about your recent stay with us. I have also commended the Duxton Team for their continuing high service standards. It is our intension to replace all shower heads with the slimline rain shower heads early in the New Year.
I am pleased to read that your enjoyed our wonderful Firewater Grille.

Thank you again and hopefully we are able to welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Merry Christmas from all the Team at the Duxton Hotel Perth

Bruce G Doig
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had an enjoyable experience at the Duxton Hotel over the weekend. Service was hit and miss. When I arrived the man coordinating the valet was very attentive and friendly. I then walked in to check-in there were 4 or 5 people manning reception with no other customers there. None of them made eye contact with me, too busy talking with one another- I awkwardly stood somewhere in the middle looking at them but nothing. Finally the lovely lady at the end ushered me to come over to her. I wish I recalled her name (I think she may have been south American??) Anyway she was very welcoming and informative which outshone the few that weren’t. My room was very clean and had all of the standard amenities. I know what the person below is talking about RE: noise. Mine wasn't that bad however, the couple in the room next door started having an argument early hours of the morning, if anything it was a bit of entertainment but I could hear what they were shouting if that is any indication. WiFi was free and there was also a pillow menu which were excellent. I would stay again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Dear AshCom,

I appreciate your comments on your weekend stay with us. Thank you for your positive comments about our valet service. I have also followed up with our Front Office Manager your observations of our reception team members on check-in and we have addressed guest protocol procedures immediately.
We have identifed the reception team member that extended courtesy to you. I also appreciate your further positive comments on our hotel services and pleased to read that you are happy to return to the Duxton Hotel in the future. Wishing the very best over the festive season.

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

I woke up in the middle of the night to a party in the next room. After calling reception on two occasions (they only picked up the phone once) they told me they would not tell my neighbours to be quiet and my only option would to be to switch rooms. So after arguing with the manager in the lobby because no one would answer the phone, he marched me up to my room like a child just expelled from school, ordered me to collect the things I needed to sleep (while the party continued to rage next door) and delivered me elsewhere. What an idiotic and humiliating experience. The walls are paper thin, so good luck!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Atatwalker
BruceDoig, General Manager at Duxton Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Dear Atatwalker,

My apologise for the inconvenienced cause to you. I am conducting a full investigation into this matter that you have raised. This manner is unacceptable and not the way our team members usually conduct themselves.
Parties in rooms are not allowed as per our hotel policy and again I apologise to you sincerely.

Regards